CodeNewbie Community ๐ŸŒฑ

Cover image for #CNC2021 "Get a Job" Pre-Mission Submission Thread
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeNewbie Team

Posted on • Updated on

#CNC2021 "Get a Job" Pre-Mission Submission Thread

After you've completed the reading in your pre-work email and followed all the steps, drop your ideal job titles in the thread below. You should also use your comment in this thread to reflect on the following questions:

1. Where are your skills currently?
  2. What coding projects do you have under your belt?
  3. What are your knowledge gaps?
  4. What are your ideal job titles?

For the bonus questions in your pre-mission email, feel free to reach out to others you see in this thread or elsewhere on CodeNewbie Community (or DEV ) to review your code and give you feedback on your job readiness โ€” and/or to ask what their knowledge gaps were before finding their first job and how they filled them.

Feel free to introduce yourself to other participants you see here โ€” and don't forget to follow one another!

Congrats on challenging yourself to Get a Job! If you have any questions about the challenge overall, head to the Get a Job Help Thread. For any technical questions throughout the challenge (or in general) write a #help post and share with the community!

Top comments (24)

Collapse

dana94 profile image
Dana Ottaviani
  1. My skills are in HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and Vue. While I have knowledge of React, I don't have as much confidence in using it right now like I do with Vue.

2. I've worked on a few puzzle projects for fun as well as a quotes database that uses an API I created with GraphQL. My new website is my latest project (almost done with this).

3. I'd like to get better at remembering common git commands since I usually use GitKraken when working. I actually created a repo just to test git commands out in.
    I want to work on my next project in React so I can start adding React projects to my portfolio and while I feel good in JavaScript, I'd like to sharpen my skills with challenges like javascript30.
    I would also like to use Node in my projects more. I first started using package.jsons in my projects in my first job and I don't really think I've utilized what Node can offer me. I'd like to start from the beginning there and see what important parts I might have skipped when learning it the first time.

4. Common titles I usually find for my skillset are Front-end Engineer, Web Developer, UI/UX Engineer. I want to completely avoid anything to do with working in a CMS because I learned that kind of role isn't for me.

I wrote a lot here and I'm not quite sure what my first step will be but I appreciate this challenge since I just recently went back to looking for roles again.

Collapse

yuridevat profile image
๐•๐•ฆ๐•๐•š๐•’ ๐Ÿ‘ฉ๐Ÿปโ€๐Ÿ’ป
  1. My current tech stack is HTML, CSS (+ TailwindCSS), JavaScript (React, NextJS), and Figma. While I am feeling save using HTML, CSS (+ TailwindCSS) and Figma, I would say that with my JavaScript (React, NextJS) skills I am halfway there. It can do smaller projects.

2. I have many common apps like To Do List, Shopping Cart, Book Management, Pokedรจx; The deepest project I have is a "Smart" Shopping React app (with Google Firestore Database), made with an remote African/European team of four developers, which learns the users buying habits.

3. To be able to explain common technical terms; and to get used to easy function without googling them. Also, I need to learn a bit backend / Database: basic knowledge is a must even as a frontend developer, I'd say.

4. Frontend Developer, Web Developer, Web Designer, React Developer
    Even if I am interested in using Figma, I do not want to be a UI Designer (I love to write code!)

Collapse

mccurcio profile image
Matt C

Hi Julia,

Great statement.

May I suggest one thing for you to consider. In part 2, you say you have many "common" apps.

May I suggest that you use a synonym for common, such as 'popular, familiar, or well-known.' Working with the Google Firestore db and a remote group with members in Europe AND Africa is not common. Overcoming language, cultural and technical issues is quite an accomplishment.

Very cool.

Collapse

yuridevat profile image
๐•๐•ฆ๐•๐•š๐•’ ๐Ÿ‘ฉ๐Ÿปโ€๐Ÿ’ป

Thank you for your comment :) It was meant like: common apps (from tutorials) AND one big (deep) project. Sorry for the confusion. YES, it was quite an accomplishment and the best experience I had so far. :)

Thread Thread

mccurcio profile image
Matt C

;)

Collapse

mccurcio profile image
Matt C
  1. My current skills include using R/RStudio, Python, and a strong background in Statistics. Since I am seeking to enter Data Science, I feel that my Statistics is robust. I have a good understanding of Exploratory Data Analysis, Inferential Statistics, A/B testing, Linear Regression, Logistic Regression, Decision Trees, Support Vector Machines, Feature Reduction techniques, and an excellent yet basic understanding of Neural Networks. Several personal projects have shaped my knowledge of the Data Science Workflow.

2. My work includes four chapters for my introductory book on Machine Learning which is 40% complete. This book will be released in PDF format with code primarily in R but also Python.

3. My knowledge gaps would be working with Bayesian models. I am currently building up my base by teaching myself Shiny and other Data Visualization techniques. Working with SQL is another area that I plan to focus my time on.

4. Job titles that I am currently interested in are Data Analyst and Data Scientist.

Note: This feels like it should be a first draft. There is so much more I could put in. Boiling a person's skills into 4-plus sentences is "challenging". ;)

Collapse

centanomics profile image
Cent | Shannon Myers
  1. Current Skills:
  • React
  • Redux
  • HTML
  • CSS
  • JS
  • Mongoose
  • Gatsby
  • Postgresql
  • APIs
  • Express
  • Node
  1. Coding Projects
  • Penny - a discord bot
  • Cookie Clicker - multiplayer clicking game
  • Phictionary - a phonetic dictionary
  • Woofchi - a discord bot where you can rank users
  • Name-aid - store names and their pronunciation
  1. Knowledge Gaps
  • Infinite scrolling
  • Design Systems
  • Project Planning
  • Its hard the think of things I donโ€™t know, because I tend to just google stuff I donโ€™t know. But since I want to focus on something specific to learn about, I managed to find 3 topics that I either donโ€™t know or donโ€™t practice much in my development process that I would like to improve.

4.1 Ideal Job titles

• Junior Developer
  • React Developer
  • Web Developer
  • Web Engineer
  • UI Developer
  • Frontend Developer
  • Backend Developer
  • Full Stack Developer
  • I think my best bet is applying to React Developer, Frontend Developer, and Full Stack Developer jobs.

4.2 What I noticed while looking at my 3 job titles

• React developer and Frontend developer jobs tend to have UI mentioned at some point, whether it be in the title or description of the job post
  • The job posts I found preferred people who can do a lot (they mention a lot of languages). Reflecting on it this might be one thing thatโ€™s holding me back because I tend to not apply to jobs that I donโ€™t meet ALL the requirements for.
  • Almost all of the job posts I found mention project planning like agile in some way along with communication skills.
Collapse

mccurcio profile image
Matt C

Wow, quite a list!
Great

Collapse

joks84 profile image
Jelena • Edited

Hi all,
So to answer these questions:

1) At the moment of writing, my skills are Python, Django, Django Rest Framework, web scraping with the help of BeautifulSoup library, HTML.

2) Coding projects:

• basic web app with options for profile creating/deleting/updating, post creating/updating/deleting.
  • Web app which behaves like content aggregator (containing my web scraping knowledge).
  • Also, I have one internship behind me where I used Django Rest Framework. To stay in DRF lane, I'm starting with the project where I will mimic CRM software (at least backend side of it) and I'll be using DRF to make one.

3) Regarding knowledge gaps - of course, there are lots of things which can be upgraded. But, besides going dipper in Django Rest Framework, I want to learn more about AWS, Docker, and dig deeper when it comes to databases.

4) Ideal job titles - for now, as a rookie: Python Developer Intern, Django Developer Intern, Junior Python Developer, Junior Django Developer.

Collapse

mccurcio profile image
Matt C

Very cool,
What is it like in China not able to speak the language.
How has Covid treated you?

Collapse

joks84 profile image
Jelena

When it comes to the language barrier, there is the application I use for translating Chinese to English and vice versa, and I do know some basics of the Chinese language.

And regarding your second question - pretty cool, can't complain.

Collapse

uzor profile image
Uzor
  1. My skills are in HTML, CSS, JavaScript, React, Python and Figma. I don't usually add react a lot because I don't have the confidence that I can use it for a job.
  2. I do some challenges on devchallenges.io, and some of the usual projects like todo, using apis such as github jobs, github, quotes, omdb and some other to create some websites using react.
  3. Trying to remember some basic concepts and commands, doing more advanced projects using react and node (currently learning).
  4. Front-end developer, Web Developer, UI developer, I love focusing on design mostly than logic but find myself doing both sometimes.
Collapse

mccurcio profile image
Matt C

Hi Uzor,
You said,

I love focusing on design mostly than logic but find myself doing both sometimes.

I think this sentence has potential to be powerful statement. In this statement, you do not use a 'negative' to describe your work. Too often, people say they dislike this or that. There are things you love and other tasks you just carry out. To me, this says you do your job with acceptance, not complaints. May I suggest you consider elaborating on your thought. It could be woven into a cover letter or resume.
Keep it up

Collapse

uzor profile image
Uzor

Thanks for the reply, I'll work on that

Collapse

unknwnlistener profile image
Nischal

Hi everyone! Here's my answers to the questions

1. Where are your skills currently?
    Web Dev (HTML/CSS/JS, SASS), Java, Node.js, Git, REST APIs, Recently trying out React

2. What coding projects do you have under your belt?

• College projects
      • Brower extension in JS
      • Web application development for a teacher-student interface to manage a discussion thread
    • Practice apps
      • Movie app in React using TMDb API
      • Joke generator
      • Calculator
  3. What are your knowledge gaps?

• React.js (FE)
    • Front End and Unit testing tools
    • Open Source (OSS) contibutions
    • Understanding web building systems (Webpack, Gulp)
    • Web deployment (NGINX, CDN)
    • Single Page Applications (SPA)
  4. What are your ideal job titles?
    Front End Web developer, Full-stack software engineer, Web developer, Software Developer. I prefer coding and would love to move into being a fully back end developer but somehow life led me to the front end direction.

Collapse

meeshellmartini profile image
Michelle M.

Hello,

1.What are your current skills? HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Python, jQuery, BootStrap. A bit of knowledge in PHP.

1. What coding project do you have under your belt? This is where I need work. I don't have projects that I want to post on a portfolio. If I had to choose I would say a few Python projects. A language translator app, photo gallery, trading card app, and a Dataset project for the Titanic.

3.What are your knowledge gaps? I need to learn another framework and learn another programming language.

1. What are your ideal jobs? Front-End Engineer, Full-Stack, or Senior Engineer.
Collapse

mccurcio profile image
Matt C

HI M,
I am really interested in doing a data project including the Titanic survivors.
Would you care to pool some resources and discuss some ideas together?
(If you follow me then we can chat.)
Cheers,

Collapse

orlaish profile image
Ola Ishola • Edited
  1. Current skill
    My current tech stack is HTML, CSS, Bootstrap, JS, React, MongoDB, Nodejs, Express, EJS, APIs, and Python. Just learning backend so I donโ€™t have any project ready but currently working on a simple note-taking app with server-side rendering using ejs with authentication using JSON web token.

2. Coding Project

• A movie nomination App using OMDB API
    • TodoList App
    • Recipe Generator using themealDB API
    • Random Quote Generator
    • The landing page of a Loan company with a loan eligibility checker
    • A catering service website
  3. Knowledge gaps
    Things I need to work on, Node authentication, MVC, Redux, a solid grasp on React context API, React styling, working with Figma, PostgreSQL, search engines, Testing such as jest, mocha, enzyme, etc. Understanding system design.

4. Ideal job titles
    My Ideal job title based on my current level as a rookie:

• Junior Developer
    • React Developer
    • Frontend Developer
    • Junior Software Developer
Collapse

uncannyvalle profile image
Julian Valle
  1. Currently my skills are in a strange place. I have been learning Web development on my own for about 2 years and I feel Like i have a grasp on the fundamentals of JS, CSS and Html. I have been pretty much building all my project using React and Gatsby so I am getting the hang of those technologies. However, I am not sure if it is impostor syndrome or true blind spots in my learning but I feel like I am missing something, some secret sauce that will make me more attractive to employers. For now I am still trying to master React and dipping my toes in Node.js and Typescript. I also learned a bit of OOP and Java/C# during a brief tangent where I thought that may help me land a job but I went back to the Front end world because I don't want to be jumping around.

2. I was doing freeCodeCamp for a while so I have those projects. But my strongest project I have done to date is a Gatsby ecommerce site I did for a family member but in the end did not need it anymore. I think it is pretty neat because it populates the pages dynamically from the Shopify storefront using GraphQl and dynamically creates the content and updates products upon being added. Other than that I am constantly changing my portfolio to make it just a little more purple every iteration.

3. Oh I wish I knew this! But if i would have to guess it would be in design. I feel that most front end jobs require some sort of design skills and I am not good at that. I want to get good but I'm not there yet. Another thing would be in backend. I still don't understand how to build backend projects or what exactly that would entail. Front end is easy because it is so visual but backend is so abstract.

4. Currently I am pretty much applying to any job with Junior on it. But mostly Front-End developer, React Developer, or Web Developer. Eventually I would like to be a full stack developer.

Collapse

singhsuryansh12 profile image
Suryansh Singh

1. Skills: C, C++, Python, HTML, CSS, Object Oriented Programming, Git, Basics of Machine Learning and Google Cloud.

2. Coding Projects: i) Stacking-Regressor based prediction model to predict the chances of graduate admission in US Universities based on the Graduate Admissions Dataset of UCLA
ii) Mini-project: Cloud based Selenium Automation of Form Filling Process

3. Knowledge Gaps: Need to get better at technical interview questions and the topics involved, improve development skills

4. Ideal Job Titles: Software Developer/Engineer, Machine Learning Engineer.

Collapse

thomasgilmore95 profile image
Thomas Gilmore

1 ) Where are your skills currently?

My current skills include HTML, CSS, JavaScript, REST APIs, Node.js, React, and AWS.

2 ) What coding projects do you have under your belt?

• API Fetched Trivia Quiz
  • Netflix Clone
  • Wine Recommendation App
  • Weather Site

3) What are your knowledge gaps?

My knowledge gap includes Data Structures and Algorithms, AWS (there is so much to learn with AWS and always new features being added), Vue.js (when I look at jobs for Front End Developer I see many job postings with Vue.js and/or React) and Word Press.

4) What are your ideal job titles?

• Front End Developer
  • React Developer
  • Web Developer
  • Full Stack Developer
Collapse

iyanushow profile image
iyanushow

Excited to get into this

1. Skills include JavaScript, react, Nodejs, html/css, git 2, Have a few small scale JavaScript and React projects that Iโ€™m hoping to build on
  2. I feel my Knowledge gaps would be implementing the skills I have in production ready real company projects That what i hope to work on and build larger projects
  3. Job titles : web developer, Software engineer
Collapse

otagera profile image
Othniel Agera
  1. My skills are:
    • HTML
    • CSS
    • JS
    • React
    • Redux
    • Node
    • Express
    • Mongoose
    • Postgresql
    • APIs
  2. I've worked on a web chat application (real time chatting, using socket.io and you can also send multimedia files), job listing web application.
  3. My knowledge gaps include; working with a team as so far I've all but done things by myself, learning git workflows, getting better with understanding databases, hone my design skills
  4. My ideal job titles
    • Fullstack web developer
    • Javascript developer
    • Frontend Developer
    • Backend Developer
Collapse

osarodev profile image
Osaro Onaiwu

1. My Skills?
NextJS, ReactJS, JavaScript, CSS & HTML. I use tools like Styled-Components in my ReactJS and NextJS projects. Other tools include git, A11y for accessibility, Figma for design, Framer-Moton for animations.

2. My Projects?
On my portfolio website, I have listed
a. Color Generator.
b. To-Do List.
c. Weather App.
d. A Tour Destination Web App.
e. A React-controlled Form

3. Knowledge Gaps?
Algorithms: understanding complex algorithms elude me. I can implement a lot of logic in my projects but when it comes to interview-type algos, I get confused.

4. Ideal Job Titles?
a. Frontend Developer.
b. Frontend React Developer.
c. Web Developer.