CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for #CNC2021 "Start Coding" Pre-Mission Submission Thread
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeNewbie Team

Posted on

#CNC2021 "Start Coding" Pre-Mission Submission Thread

After you've completed the reading, comment below with your reflections on coding anxiety, impostor's syndrome, and how they relate to your journey. Feel free to introduce yourself and follow other participants you see below.

Congrats on challenging yourself to Start Coding! If you have any questions about the challenge overall, head to the Start Coding Help Thread. For any technical questions throughout the challenge (or in general) write a #help post and share with the community!

Latest comments (72)

Collapse

aditya_biradar23 profile image
Aditya Biradar • Edited

Hey, my name is Aditya as you might guess i am from India. I want to become a Data science and one of the tool i need to do my job in future is python, so I am super exited to learn python.

As the writer mentioned about the anxiety and the lack of motivation is for sure concerning but I think I can pull it off as there is big community out there who will surely help me.

If u are looking for a friend who has same goals as you :-
My twitter =AdityaBBiradar

CNC2021

Collapse

noviicee profile image
Novice • Edited

Hello everyone! Hope you all are doing good! I feel glad to start learning on this platform.
As per the book, I totally agree with all the points the writer had mentioned. It is truly overwhelming to think about all the things we need to learn.
But the only thing that keeps us going is the motivation that we can at least start somewhere and then begin to move forward with the support and the tips that has been provided :) 💚

Collapse

doileo profile image
Doina

Hi, guys! My name is Doina and I'm from Moldova. I'm so excited to be a member of this great community! In March, I began my journey in web development.
Here are my thoughts after reading the article.
To begin with, many of us as beginners try to learn so many things all at once. The result is a mess. This leads to discouragement, lack of confidence, the feeling of "you're not worth it", and also facing fear in all its forms when it comes to changing your career.
I believe all these states have their origin in our perception, all are a result of our limitations we have created for ourselves.
Most of all, I struggled with the fear that I might not have enough time to learn because I want to support my family financially. That created a lot of pressure for me.
The second thing was the actual process of learning. How was I supposed to keep up with it all?
The last thing was to join a community of developers. Here I am and I'm so thankful for that!
In my opinion, changing your mindset is crucial to making a positive difference in your life.
Happy coding to everyone!

Collapse

joshuawairua profile image
WairuaTheImagoDei

Hello, my name is Josh from Kenya.
Admittedly, it's been an on and off programming journey due the points communicated in that article.
I am excited to start again, I'm not giving up!
I have learned that:

1. most programmers are efficient in one (at most two) programming languages. So, I should focus on being proficient in one language.
  2. i should not rely on online courses to map out my learning path. So, i should research one and set adjustable deadlines while learning.
  3. i should collect the right resources for my learning (50% - practice-based platforms, 30% - Online courses, and 20% - books and tutorials)
  4. joining programming communities are essential. I cannot do this alone.
Collapse

sbstn profile image
sbstn98

Hey Guys,

i am Basti from Hamburg, Germany.

I want to change my Career in the direction of Coding, nowadays i work in a School with little children.

I was starting Coding with HTML in the early days, when i was like 10-15 years old, but then i stopped. I will try to follow along now.
I can code with HTML and CSS, my next step is to learn JavaScript.

I am excited to join the Community and i hope to learn a lot from all of you :)

Collapse

humaira profile image
Humaiz

Hello everyone I'm Humaira From Indiaa I'm super excited to start my coding journey ....
I have been struggling to for such a long time to get started because I'm really afraid of DS because I don't have a proper understanding about that .... Now I got some motivation and ready to start my journey

Collapse

darhlagilson profile image
On Corners Design

Looks like I am joining this thread late but am excited to start the "start coding" challage. The reading assignment had points that were important to me personally. First, you are never to old to learn to code. Let's just say I am older than 30 with over 25 years experience in my first career as an architect, that is the kind that designs building's. The second point I found critical was the importance of community. Codeing alone it is hard.

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

You're not late! You're right on time! Welcome to the CodeNewbie Challenge!

Collapse

hrikraj profile image
Hrikraj Chakraborty

Hi, everyone! I'm Hrikraj, I'm from India. My problem with learning to code is, Laziness. I am interested in tech and coding. But oftentimes I couldn't stick to it. Also, I have this weird habit of going through tutorials after tutorials and practising very little on my own. It is probably because I am too shy to ask for help. So, this is the reason why I have joined this community. I hope to learn and interact with all you guys!
Thanks!

Collapse

carrot052615 profile image
ミカ

Hi everyone!
My name is Micah and I'm from the Philippines. I started to discover the world of programming last year 2020 through khanacademy. For me the concepts and the idea that I was learning this was kind of overwhelming to grasp. I have doubted myself a lot, if coding was right for me. My progress was quite slow and was not consistent. My goal for this year is to be confident, be consistent and focus on learning python by the end of the year.

Collapse

termready profile image
Kimberly Marie

Hi! My name is Kimberly, but people call me Kim, for short. I'm 22 yrs old and I reside in the U.S. I've always been overly intelligent but wasn't given the right opportunities and resources to continue on with schooling after high school. I'm looking to make programming a skill/career path for myself. I'm learning at home. I'll be juggling learning and tending to my boyfriend, so I'm hoping this is something I can achieve.

Collapse

mccurcio profile image
Matt C

Welcome!
The journey of 1000 miles starts with one footstep.

Collapse

jesscancode profile image
Jess

Hi everyone! I'm Jess from South Africa. A social worker and project manager learning how to code! When you don't come from a tech or CS background you can definitely feel as if you don't belong. But my experience so far is that the coding space is really welcoming despite the perceived barriers to entry.

I don't worry too much about being out aged or skilled. I hoping that my real life problem solving skills and eagerness to learn will help me get over being pushed aside by a 14 year old AI prodigy. I'm excited to have found this community and ready to learn with all of you.

Collapse

ycode3 profile image
Yoshi

Hi everyone,

I think coding anxiety is real. I've been self-studying for the past six months. I usually study after I get home from work. There is a lot to learn and I feel that anxious that I don't know enough to get involved in any coding projects. So, I try to look for more resources to supplement my learning. It just built more anxiety in me. Reading the article helped me to understand that there are many other developers out there who feel or felt the way I do about coding.

I agree that it's best not to keep my working hours within 40 hours per week. Being exhausted won't help and won't last very long either. I feel that this applies to self-studying as well.

Happy coding!

Collapse

mouaadev profile image
Mouaad

Hi Guys, My name is Mouaad Hamza. I'm so delighted to be here with you.

Really, as someone who is interested in programming from middle-school time, but didn't get to it at the time because I thought I can't understand programming until I finish High school :/.
After I get my mistake, I tried to learn programming numerous times, but stops halfway, because I lost some interest in computer in general and got stuck in tutorial hell and couldn't get any ideas to build. So, I thank John for writing that great article. Imposter syndrome is really troublesome, but I'll try to overcome it.

Collapse

sjunaidhashmi profile image
Junaid Hashmi

Hey everyone! I am Junaid, a Computer Science undergraduate and a beginner in the coding world from India.
I couldn't agree more with John about the 'imposter syndrome '. It's a hard feeling and it's also true that coding can be overwhelming sometimes. Firstly I was so confused since there are multiple niches in the Computer science domain like Web Dev, Machine Learning, Cyber Security etc. And it was hard to choose one so I learnt a little bit of one and got distracted and moved on to the second and ended up just touching the surfaces of each niche.
I procrastinated for about a year & learnt the importance of consistency the hard way.
Anyways, currently, I'm starting my web development journey and if you're a beginner like me, let's connect via Twitter. I look forward to beginning my journey with you all and hope you all reach your goals.

-Junaid

Collapse

sjunaidhashmi profile image
Junaid Hashmi • Edited

Hey everyone! I am Junaid, a Computer Science undergraduate and a beginner in the coding world from India.
I couldn't agree more with John about the 'imposter syndrome '. It's a hard feeling and it's also true that coding can be overwhelming sometimes. Firstly I was so confused since there are multiple niches in the Computer science domain like Web Dev, Machine Learning, Cyber Security etc. And it was hard to choose one so I learnt a little bit of one and got distracted and moved on to the second and ended up just touching the surfaces of each niche.
I procrastinated for about a year & learnt the importance of consistency the hard way.
Anyways, currently, I'm starting my web development journey and if you're a beginner like me, let's connect via Twitter. I look forward to beginning my journey with you all and hope you all reach your goals.

-Junaid