CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for [#CNC2022 "Start Coding" Cohort 1] Give your last coding session a score!
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeNewbie Team

Posted on

[#CNC2022 "Start Coding" Cohort 1] Give your last coding session a score!

This thread is for participants in Cohort 1 of #CNC2022's "Start Coding" Challenge.

Mission 4 Discussion Thread

After you've completed the reading and exercises in your Mission 4 email (to be sent at 1:30 PM UTC on Monday, February 21, 2022), respond to the following...

1. Give your coding session from Mission 4 a score from 1-10 (with 10 being the best)
2. Tell us what you've been working on and what you've been having a hard time with.

3. If you need an accountability partner, say so! If you want to be someone else's accountability partner who's looking for one, respond to their comment. You can share what you're working on with this person and ask for their feedback... or encouragement.

Scan through the comments after you've posted your own and interact with 1-2 other people. Don't forget to follow these people on CodeNewbie Community if you aren't already! 

Congrats on challenging yourself to Start Coding! If you have any questions about the challenge overall, head to the Start Coding Help Thread. For any technical questions throughout the challenge (or in general) write a #help post on CodeNewbie Community or DEV and share with the community!

Top comments (26)

Collapse

shweta6 profile image
Shweta • Edited
  1. Give your coding session from Mission 4 a score from 1-10 (with 10 being the best) - My last coding session was 6/10. I had a lot of fun.
  2. Tell us what you've been working on and what you've been having a hard time with. - I was doing my first ever data science project on data quest. It was very interactive and fun. I mostly struggle with time management as I also have to study for college.
Collapse

dulyaaa profile image
Dulya Perera

Sounds like amazing project🤩. And if you can share some of the resources that you have used it would be grateful 'coz I am also planning to learn data science near future.

Collapse

shweta6 profile image
Shweta

Hey Dulya, I'd love to help you with any information. I did this project on Dataquest, which is an amazing site for data science. It teaches you basic python first then data science basics. They have many career paths too.

Thread Thread

dulyaaa profile image
Dulya Perera

Oohh.. I seee😊!! Sure, I'll get back you near future.

Thread Thread

quitzonsandy profile image
quitzonsandy

Hello, Dulya I would be happy to assist you with any information. This project was completed on Dataquest, a fantastic website for data science. You learn the fundamentals of Python first, then of data science. They have numerous job options. geometry dash

Collapse

koshirok096 profile image
koshirok096
  1. Give your coding session from Mission 4 a score from 1-10 (with 10 being the best)

• 5/10
  2. Tell us what you've been working on and what you've been having a hard time with.

• This time I’ve been working on learning JS from freeCodeCamp. It was not a hard time for me because I enjoyed it.
Collapse

dayryanm profile image
Ryan Day

Working through the JS course on fCC as well but I feel like I'm hitting a wall. I think part of it is that my studying has been a bit more sporadic so I'm not retaining the information as well as I did with HTML and CSS but I also think I'm just having a harder time with the syntax and foundation of JS.

Collapse

koshirok096 profile image
koshirok096

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PHXvlpOkf4&t=421s
Recently I’m also using this tutorial to learn JS basics.
Check it out if you are interested in :)

Thread Thread

dayryanm profile image
Ryan Day

Thanks! This is exactly the kind of video I'm looking for.

Thread Thread

iamdavidjames profile image
Abaraoha David

I'm also saving that link for later. Thanks. 👍

Collapse

ciesluk profile image
Tom Cieslukowski
  1. Give your coding session from Mission 4 a score from 1 -10 (with 10 being the best). My coding session was a 8/10. A lot was learned and had a productive session.

2. Tell us what you've been working on an what you've been having a hard time with. I am taking a course currently on Udemy and learning web development. I've been working on some projects using NodeJS and Mongo. The struggle I was having was just finding some motivation and drive to continue and not give up.

Collapse

dayryanm profile image
Ryan Day

How are you liking the Udemy course? I've been looking at a few options on there as well for web development.

Collapse

ciesluk profile image
Tom Cieslukowski

Im finding it really great, very informative and gives you some exercises. Some stuff I know so its a great review, but most things are new to me and Im glad it teaches up to date information for 2022 coding.

Collapse

digital88t profile image
digital88t

Where can I find the Udemy course, I am also interested in learning catalogos ofertas

Collapse

dayryanm profile image
Ryan Day

If I'm being honest, I think I'd only give this session a score of 5. I was able to dedicate a solid chunk of time to coding but I still feel like I'm really struggling to grasp the syntax and core concepts of JavaScript. I think I'll need to adjust my plan to pursue more structured and guided courses first to establish a solid base in the language before returning to resources like fCC.

As mentioned above, I'm currently working through the JavaScript course on fCC. I really like the self-paced nature of fCC but with JavaScript I'm having a lot more trouble than I experienced with HTML and CSS. I think I'd definitely benefit with an actual intro course (structured walkthrough or lecture) to better understand the fundamentals of the language.

Collapse

Abaraoha David

FCC has videos on intros on their YouTube page like this one.
youtu.be/PkZNo7MFNFg
Goodluck 👍

Collapse

dayryanm profile image
Ryan Day

Yes! I've been using this video a lot when I get stuck on a lesson. It's been great.

Collapse

sweetkeetweets profile image
Kierra Miner
  2. I would give my session a 7/10, I'm enjoying it.

3. Tell us what you've been working on and what you've been having a hard time with.

4. I am working on a JavaScript program through freecodecamp. The hardest thing for me is getting rid of distractions so I can study.

Collapse

Abaraoha David
  1. My coding session for mission 4 would have a score of 6 out of 10. It was productive but i couldn't complete the 4hrs. 😞
  2. I am working on creating a website using HTML, CSS & JavaScript and deploying it to Netlify using Brad Traversy's tutorial(YouTube). CSS for now is what I've been finding a little hard to grasp. but I'm getting the hang of it.
Collapse

ellednera profile image
Raphael Jun Jie Jong
    I would give myself a 7.

I started a project as my learning curriculum. Most of the stuff are somewhat revision because I learnt them before, just that I don't really have the chance to really use them until recently. It was a bit time-consuming but fun! I'm also planning to write posts for the things I created so far.
    Currently I'm having difficulty allocating time for another session. The first session was used for coding which was successful while the second session I intended to use it to have a good read on the CGI documentation (RFC 3875) but haven't been successful yet. I'm not sure if
    I can make time for it this week. I think its probably due to the fact that it's not so important and that's why I'm not too serious about it :)

Collapse

bisrategebriel profile image
Bisrategebriel Fisseha

• 7/10

• I've been working more on JavaScript Projects aside from freecodecamp curriculum.
Collapse

natdavison profile image
Natalie Davison

1. Give your coding session from Mission 4 a score from 1-10
My coding session was 7/10. I enjoyed it and it was challenging too, only issue was the noise as my partner was also in the room (our flat is small) and was playing games on his PC with friends which was a bit distracting.

2. Tell us what you've been working on and what you've been having a hard time with
I've been working through the foundations course on The Odin Project and am currently learning about CSS Flexbox. I struggled getting to grips with applying it to real life scenarios instead of just tutorials at first but am getting better with practice.

Collapse

dulyaaa profile image
Dulya Perera • Edited

1. Give your coding session from Mission 4 a score from 1-10 (with 10 being the best)
My coding session was a 7/10. I learnt lot and had a productive session.

2. Tell us what you've been working on and what you've been having a hard time with.
Working on mobile application development using latest stable version of flutter which is totally new for me. So I just struggled lot to connect the application with firebase and finally connect it by going through the some blog articles. And then implement a small application including crud operations.

Collapse

jesseniamagdaleno profile image
jessenia-magdaleno
    I would rate my coding session a 7/10.

I am working on a python course on Udemy. The hard part for me is being able to sneak out for a couple hours without interruptions.

Collapse

owaji profile image
Owaji-inyagham Ogbuluijah
  1. Give your coding session from Mission 4 a score from 1 - 10 (with 10 being the best). My coding session was 6/10. I had a difficult time grasping some JavaScript concept.

Tell us what you've been working on an what you've been having a hard time with.
I'm following up the CS50 class and it's being amazing difficult as well.

Collapse

srhatcher profile image
Sr.Hatcher • Edited
    I would give a 8/10, it has been good but sometimes very tough.

So far, i have learned how to use Git and GitHub (which are pretty important!) and i getting familiar with Ubuntu. i heard that developers code on linux systems. The hardest part was finding enough time to code. my responsabilities sometimes take all of my time.

Oh, i also learned that github offers a domain for proyects you are working, you can use it as your portfolio! here is mine: srhatcher.github.io/
I'm still working on it xD

3-I'm here if anyone need a partner, just tell me :)