CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for #CNC2021 "Write More" Mission 1 Submission Thread

#CNC2021 "Write More" Mission 1 Submission Thread

CodeNewbie Staff on April 15, 2021

After completing all the steps in your Mission 1 email, post top three writing ideas in the thread below. Check out what others are thinki...
Collapse

lyqht profile image
Estee Tey • Edited

I wanna thank the CodeNewbie Team for the great list of considerations in terms of both good and bad reasons whether an idea should be eliminated. ✨ If not for that, I would have eliminated a lot more ideas because of how there's already existing articles on the same topics I was keen to write on 😆

Here are my top 3 writing ideas out of the 10:

1. Explainer: Introduction to Event Driven Architecture
    • this was something requested by my work buddy for me to learn and share my findings!
  2. Explainer: VueJS concepts for React developers
    • I had no prior experience in VueJS but I got onboarded to a project with it. It was initially scary but I noticed that there were many concepts that React has taught us in web dev that are still applicable to this framework.
  3. Project: TDD with custom React hook - how I tried to add useSkeleton logic
Collapse

gaurang847 profile image
Gaurang

I'm not much in front-end. But I'm definitely looking forward to your article on Event Driven Architecture! :)

Collapse

lyqht profile image
Estee Tey

thank you 😄

Collapse

julieg18 profile image
Julie

2 sounds really cool! As a React developer myself, I'd be interested in learning some Vue concepts!

Collapse

lyqht profile image
Estee Tey

Yay! Look forward to that :D

Collapse

wolde_ai profile image

All great ideas to write about.

Collapse

julieg18 profile image
Julie

My three writing ideas:

1. Ways to Place Variables in Python Strings - Shows a couple ways you place variables in Python strings. Also names the pros/cons of each way.
  2. 5 Cool JS Web APIs - Lists 5 different JavaScript Web APIs, explaining what each one does and an example on what you could do with it.
  3. How to create bash terminal shortcuts - A tutorial on creating terminal shortcuts on a bash terminal.
Collapse

juanfrank77 profile image
Juan F Gonzalez

Those are great ideas for articles! For #3 I think you could scope it down a little more to have some of the most important/useful shortcuts so you don't end up with a massive article that you end up doubting about hahaha.

Collapse

wolde_ai profile image

I have started learning Python recently so I will be looking forward to reading your articles. Your 2nd idea seems fun and there is a lot to learn from the third idea as well. I look forward to reading your articles.

Collapse

lyqht profile image
Estee Tey

Personally looking forward to article 2 😆 Haven't used JS Web Native APIs for the longest time!

For article 3, would it be normal bash terminal shortcuts or zsh?

Collapse

julieg18 profile image
Julie

I'm not sure yet, I need to look into how both are done, and decide which one.

Collapse

terrifricker profile image
Terri Fricker

These look great. Have you written any of them yet?

Collapse

gaurang847 profile image
Gaurang

Here are my three writing ideas:

1. Explainer: How I used cherry-pick to solve a Git issue with Forking workflow

Something that I recently worked on. I want to write it down so that it could be useful to others.

2. Explainer: What are Node.js Streams?

I feel Node.js streams are something people rarely talk about. And it's a mystery for most. I want to share whatever information I have gained about them.

3. Project: Integrating a payment-gateway in an e-commerce website (Focus on Backend part)

For a long time, I've worked with payment gateways. I want to create a project that people can used as a reference by people who might be new to e-commerce.

Collapse

wolde_ai profile image

All three are superb ideas to write about. I am particularly interested to read about your idea mainly because I just started an eCommerce website project. I will be looking forward to reading your articles

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Great ideas here! I know from personal experience that the explainer you described would be super valuable :)

Collapse

lyqht profile image
Estee Tey

Agree with you that Node.js Streams is a concept that not many people talks about, looking forward to hearing your perspective of it! ✨

Collapse

xav83 profile image
Xavier Jouvenot

Great ideas ! I personally feel more concerned by the one about Git, since I don't do a lot of web development 😄

Collapse

julieg18 profile image
Julie

As someone who still struggles with NodeJS streams, 2 sounds awesome!

Collapse

oerts profile image
Oz Ertas

These are the things that I'd like to write about:

• how to use array.splice()

I recently faced a challenge where I struggled with using splice in a for loop. It's actually a very simple mistake but for any beginners out there, I think it would be useful to know ahead of time.

• building a simple portfolio

I'm planning on building a simple portfolio website to show everything I worked on so far and I would like to document the journey.

• Introduction to OOP principles

I've been studying OOP for a while and I read a lot of books on it. I think writing an article on simplified OOP principles would both be useful for me and anyone else looking for a simple explanation on the topic.

Collapse

lyqht profile image
Estee Tey

Hey Oz! I think your first article is pretty cool, maybe you would want to include the "in a foor loop" in the title directly 😄 I think performing array manipulations within loop iterations is something that many newbies would be keen to learn!

Good luck to all ur 3 articles!

Collapse

iyanushow profile image
iyanushow

First mission
My top three writing ideas:

-EXPLAINER: UNDERSTANDING THE KEYWORD THIS IN JAVASCRIPT
I have a very good understanding of the ‘this’ keyword and its applications and people seem to have problems with it. Although I get it wrong sometimes, I generally fair better with it.
-EXPLAINER: CSS GRID VS CSS FLEXBOX
I enjoy using either of these two in my css rather than css frameworks and they seem to be easier to manage
-TUTORIAL: LEARN REACT HOOKS
Hooks in react are everything, and they make life easy for me

Collapse

wolde_ai profile image
000 • Edited

My three writing ideas:

1. Tutorial: How to use higher order functions in JavaScript🤓

I think higher order functions are essential and very powerful for simplifying problems and solve them. I think it will also help me consolidate my Knowledge of those functions as I try to explain them to other people.

1. Explainer: Basics of Solidity language😁.

I am thinking of writing an article on the basics of Solidity language since I have a lot of interest in blockchain. I was excited to learn about it because it operates at the intersection of software development, data science/data management, cyberSecurity and Economics. I also think it will have a substantial amount of impact on different aspects of our lives in the future. So I think it is a great opportunity for me to learn and deepen my knowledge on the topic by writing about it.

1. Project: Challenges and Lesson learned from building my portfolio page🧐

I recently finished building my portfolio page. You can check it out here: wolde.dev/#/ . I experienced several challenges and there's definitely a lot of lessons I learned from it. I want to share those challenges, how I overcome them and what I learned from those experiences. I also want to get more feedback if possible for my portfolio page. I realized it can be difficult to get feedback from people for different reasons but by constructively criticizing my work, I might interest more people to give feedback. And that can be helpful to all of us.

Collapse

lyqht profile image
Estee Tey

Hey Dennis! I'm quite keen on reading your first article since this is more advanced concept that I have not tried out yet 😄

For your 3rd project, here is some of my feedback:

• I like your big social media buttons, its kinda funny that only LinkedIn is blue and the rest is black. But at the same time its strange that I can see the social media buttons twice on the same page (the big ones + the small ones at the footer) due to lack of content. Perhaps you might wanna remove the footer if your portfolio page isn't very long.
  • Your introduction
    • i think it is quite fun that you have an interactive segment where i can click the next button to know more about you. but you should add more padding between the text and around the them, it is difficult to read on a desktop.
    • A bit strange that i'm seeing your introduction twice - one that is animated and the other that is static. It makes me want to read only the static one.
  • It is not immediately clear that the icons represents the skill sets that you have. A short header will be helpful, especially for screen-readers that are navigating your site before they tab to your icons.
  • The first time i click the toggle dark/light mode, nothing happens.
  • As i personally have a high degree of glare in my eyesight, the changing neon color border on your profile is painful to look at 😓

Overall, good job!

Collapse

wolde_ai profile image

Hey Estee!

• 1st Thank you so much for the valuable feedback. I really do appreciate it. I will definitely look into better use of color combination when it comes to the changing neon color border. Even though I try to be cognizant of how the user interface is implemented, I did not take neon colors into consideration. I will make the change. I am constantly trying to optimize user experience.
  • I am glad you found the interactive segment fun😊. That was what I was aiming for. The reasoning behind two introductions is mainly because I had two different audiences for my portfolio website in mind. The first being recruiters and the second being developers and/or everyone else who would like to connect with me. I've heard recruiters gloss over portfolio websites and so I made the animated intro with that in mind.
  • I will include a short header to represent the skill set I have. I think that is a great idea.
  • I think the toggle dark/light mode has issue and I have experienced the some problem with it as well. I will try to debug and find out what the problem is so that I can fix it.
  • As far as the color choice of the social media icons, I am not going to change it because I that's the colors those social media companies use. I want to make it look as real as possible. Maybe I might consider the color change for the resume to balance it out.
  • The reason why I have the social media buttons in the footer in smaller size as well is not because I run out of content. It's more because I wanted a place where the user can access them from all the pages instead of only the home page.

I will definitely make some of the changes. Follow me to check out my first article on higher order functions and I will be looking forward for some more feedbacks & discussion on the topic.

Anyways, thank you so much for the feedback🙏🏾😊.

Thread Thread

lyqht profile image
Estee Tey

Great! Happy to know that my feedback helped.

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Ooh I would LOVE to read that Solidity article. Sounds fascinating.

Collapse

wolde_ai profile image

That's great to hear! I will share it here when I write about it. Thank you

Collapse

harrekki profile image
David LaRocco

I had no trouble coming up with ideas, but narrowing down the list was way harder! So here are the three I'm considering:

1. Explainer - this References
    • This was a pain-point for me when I started learning JS, and I've heard it from other people too. I didn't really get it until I studied Java and OOP, so I want to see if I can break down the concept.
  2. Tutorial - Customizing/Optimizing VS Code
    • VS Code users know there are new features being added all the time, but it took me a long time to get comfortable with some of the best ones, like mulit-cursor and rich-language editing, and things like setting the default language for folders. Mainly I want to up my game while bringing some other people with me!
  3. Project - Creating a WordPress blog on AWS
    • Been procrastinating on this for a while. I recently got my Cloud Practitioner cert and want to put my knowledge to practical use. And I can show the free tier options on AWS, so everyone knows you can easily host a website or blog there free for a year!
Collapse

adiatiayu profile image
Ayu Adiati

Love all your ideas! I have trouble as well in understanding this. So I would love to read your article once it's up! 😀

Collapse

xav83 profile image
Xavier Jouvenot

Hi everyone 😃 !

I am continuing on the same trend as last week, by publishing an article about this challenge Mission in the following post 🙂
Unlike the article I have made about the Pre-Mission which was more an opportunity to introduce myself to the CodeNewbie community, this article talks more about the process I followed during this mission, heavily based on the instructions given by CodeNewbie for our homework.
It is a more personal article as it is very subjective and it will help me, at the end of the challenge, to look back on the steps I followed and see my progression.
Moreover, if you have any advice about how I could have made my post better, or if you only want to say "Hi", feel free to post a comment on it ! 🙂

To come back to the purpose of this mission, here are 5 ideas I have found, with the first 3 being the one that I will most likely pick for the rest of the Challenge:

1. Tutorial - Adding a logo to a Chocolatey package 👍
    • Since I maintain several Chocolatey package and that this is an issue I have encountered very recently, it would be nice to share this knowledge with other, and i will be able to easily come back to it if necessary 😉
  2. Explainer - Time Management - Pomodoro 🍅
    • This is a time management technique that I use and enjoy on a regular basis, and would like to talk about with other member of the community
  3. Explainer - The benefits of Blogging 🖊️
    • I like this idea a lot as it synergize very well with this challenge, and I want people to give people the desire to write about what they like
  4. Technical - Interacting with GitHub from the command line 💻
    • This article could be an entertaining introduction to the tool gh which can be used to interact easily with GitHub from a terminal
  5. Explainer - GitHub Actions basics 🔗

If you want more details about those ideas, and how I came up with them, I have logged everything in this article, which will probably help me a lot for the next mission 😄

Finally, I want to thank CodeNewbie Team, as I really appreciate the work that has been done for each of the mail I received so far, and I really enjoy the application (Plant Nanny) that you highlighted ! ❤️

Thank you all for reading this relatively long comment,
Have a splendid day 🙂

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Nice work!! So glad you're enjoying the challenge.

YES — isn't Plant Nanny awesome?

Collapse

khloeabrown profile image
Khloe Brown • Edited

Hello, Hello 👋

I was able to narrow down my list to the following three ideas:

• Project Progress: Save the Bees! A “project” blog that is a series of updates on a website I’m creating to promote information and ways to conserve the natural honey bee population.
  • A Responsive Navbar in 3 Styles A “tutorial” blog to show readers how to make a navigation bar in a few different ways for a mobile viewport that’s UI friendly.
  • Is College Worth It? An “explainer” blog to discuss my experience and recall other’s experience with going to college for web design or development versus other means of learning code in today’s world of knowledge and resources.
Collapse

lyqht profile image
Estee Tey

All are great ideas! 🐝

Collapse

anasooya2601 profile image
Anasooya Dutta

My three ideas are;
1) explainer:
Event handling in react.
2)Tutorial:react hooks and making custom hooks
3)explainer:Debounce in react and compare debounce in functional and class component

Collapse

lyqht profile image
Estee Tey

wow all 3 ideas are on React! ✨ I'm definitely excited to read all of them.

Just curious, in your first article will you be expanding on Synthetic Events?

Collapse

anasooya2601 profile image
Anasooya Dutta

Would consider now.😄

Collapse

lamisaadat profile image
LamiSaadat

Hi! I've selected ideas that I'm very familiar with and will need little research to write them. Can't wait for your feedback on them!

Tutorial post idea - How to get your navigation bar to stick to the top
Explainer post idea - WAI-ARIA
Project - Etch-a-Sketch

Collapse

lyqht profile image
Estee Tey

Personally keen in accessibility, so I'll be looking out for your explainer idea!

For ur project, could u expand more about it? :D

Collapse

lamisaadat profile image
LamiSaadat

Of course I can. For my project article I am going to write down the steps, problems I faced and how I solved them while creating the Etch-a-Sketch project which was part of my basic HTML, CSS and JS lessons as I am quite familiar with the concepts used to make it.

Thanks for you interest! And I realize now I should have explained my project idea. Thanks for that!

Thread Thread

lyqht profile image
Estee Tey

Thanks for explaining too 🐱 I'll be looking out for it!

Collapse

mtrivera profile image
Miguel T Rivera • Edited

Top Three

1. Explainer: Python Generators
  2. Tutorial: CSS Selectors: In-Depth
  3. Project: Visual Data Analyzer
Collapse

lyqht profile image
Estee Tey

Hey Matvii! i checked out your archive browser tool and it's really cool :D You can definitely work on that for a start since you already did it! Then the focus will be more on your writing and presentation skills rather than content. Of course, point 4 will be cool too for documenting your learning journey :)

I'm not very sure what points 2-3 are. 🤔 think the phrasing is hard for me to understand.

Collapse

scampiuk profile image
Chris Williams is typing...

My top three ideas from my list of ten:

1. Moving from InteliJ webstorm to VSCode

• It's something that I should learn to do :D
    • If I do it myself, it'll take me a week to get used to the change, and I can document it on the way
    • This sounds like it's low effort, but a quick consise guide is something I needed...
  2. Moderating images in a Getstream.io Activity Feed

• This is a feature Stream doesn't offer out of the box on their Activity feed product, but does on their Chat product. A way for staff to have images moderated automatically and manually is something that is needed by lods of users of Stream.
    • It's really cool to use AWS Rekognition to do this :D
    • It does lead to a series of things about Stream, and about integrating it with AWS Rekognition
  3. Gitlab Serverless Framework deployment on AWS and Google Cloud

• The packages on Gitlab for Serverless Framework are out of date, and just don't work. Having a tutorial on how to do this in Gitalb using their CI tooling is needed.
    • Using both AWS and GCloud makes it super accessable to everyone
    • Can go into the technicals of of permissions needed, and how to store them correctly

Sneeky fourth option: Using Semantic Release to manages package versioning and releases on Gitlab.

Collapse

adiatiayu profile image
Ayu Adiati • Edited

I have an interest in learning C# (.NET in particular) in the future, and there are not many articles about it out there. I definitely would love to read it! 😀

lyqht profile image
Estee Tey

oh! yeap able to play it on desktop now with your instructions :D it will be fun if the ping pong actually changes speed when u hit it, as it feels a bit static, but of course the app at its current state is already pretty cool!

Collapse

Terri Fricker

I am listing my top five ideas to get feedback.

Adulting Your Dollars

basic banking terms
basic investing terms

Acronyms

CRUD
IDE

What I learned today

Element.tagName

Collapse

Terri Fricker

I've narrowed to three.

I will right three "Acronym of the Day" posts,
and start lists of banking and investing terms.

adiatiayu profile image
Ayu Adiati

No worries!
And thank you! :)

lyqht profile image
Estee Tey

Ohh! the hard choice model seems pretty interesting :) for the single player ping pong, i can't really tell what are the controls 😆