CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for [#CNC2022 "Code More" Cohort 1] What changes do you plan to make to your coding plan?
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeNewbie Team

Posted on

[#CNC2022 "Code More" Cohort 1] What changes do you plan to make to your coding plan?

This thread is for participants in Cohort 1 of #CNC2022's "Code More" Challenge.

Mission 4 Discussion Thread

After you've completed the reading and exercises in your Mission 4 email (to be sent on Monday, February 21 at 1:30 PM UTC), respond to the following prompts related to the work you've done...

1. Do you feel you are making progress towards your longterm goals?
2. Tell us about any changes you want to make to your coding plan.

Scan through the comments after you've posted your own and interact with 1-2 other people. Don't forget to follow these people on CodeNewbie Community if you aren't already!Β 
Β 

Congrats on challenging yourself to Code More! If you have any questions about the challenge overall, head to the Code More Help Thread. For any technical questions throughout the challenge (or in general) write a #help post on CodeNewbie Community or DEV and share with the community!

Oldest comments (14)

Collapse

ronvillela profile image
Ron
  1. Some days are better than others. Some days I feel stuck and question my ability/capacity to learn Java. Other days, like today, I feel like I am making progress and feel good about my abilties. I work on daily problems from three differents sites and today I was able to solve one of the problems within a shorter time period. I had been in a rut the past couple of days working on one problem that was kicking my butt. So I put that one down for some other time and moved on. I'm glad I did because I was going crazy. I completed the new problem today and went back to the other one. Finally, I had to look up the answer (which I hate to do). However, I wasn't way off and I understood what was done which is key. So I am making progress but not as fast as I would like.

2. I still need to narrow down the focus where I am learning specific lessons/tasks during a week or a day. I just need to tweak it a bit. Currently, I feel like I'm all over the place since the daily problems send me down a rabbit hole. This results in taking up most of my time and I feel like i leave out time for theoretical stuff.

Collapse

mark_rightofzero profile image
Mark King • Edited

You can do it. I also spin my wheels on a problem and become overwhelmed. There are times I just walk away from the computer...do something else...then the solution comes to me. At other times, I just go to Stack Overflow or some other community and find that many others have the same question and there are people willing to help. There is nothing wrong with getting help.

#KeepLearningToCode Ron!

Collapse

adrianskar profile image
Adrian Skar

The ability to put down things for later in order to be productive with current ones is a good one to have. Keep it up!

Collapse

kc profile image
K C

I know that feeling of getting stuck in a rut well. I don't always get out of it but doing what you did i.e. putting it down and move on something else, also has helped me. I also just stop altogether, go for walk and that too helps me.

Yeah, making progress but not as fast as you like -- I dunno, I keep telling myself that it might take a while but just need to keep the end goal in sight, because that is what's it about really.

Anyway sounds like you are making progress and that's great!

Collapse

lesleynicole profile image
Lesley-Nicole

Story of my life....Those darn rabbit holes!

Collapse

Mark King

I do feel I am making progress towards my long term goals; however, I think I am too hard on myself. I need to celebrate my accomplishments more(really excited I completed the goals I set the previous week) and stop beating myself up...and enjoy the learning journey. Eventually, I will be able to solve people/orgs real world "pain" points.

I think the best advice I received was learn one language really good because once you learn to program, another language is just learning the different syntax. I know this helped me to narrow my focus on the longterm goals.

I need to carve out more time in the week to commit to coding. Sunday is my main coding day still, but during the week is hit and miss. I failed to account for building data into the database in order to work on the data visualization piece. I am using personal data, so it is not like I can obtain help to input the data for this project. I will need to add more time to my timeline to complete the overall project. I was researching how to incorporate using a message queue for sending an email, but that is being de-scoped to save some time.

Collapse

kc profile image
K C

Being hard on yourself - this one resonates with me!
I also try celebrate my accomplishments. Especially when I complete a task, the more challenging the task the more rewarding it feels, so the buzz from that pushes me on to do more.

All the best!

Collapse

Mark King

Thx KC. I appreciate it. Much success to you!

Collapse

yuhcee profile image
Uchenna Egbo

Most times, I feel like I am not but what I have learned to do is to always show up everyday even though I don't necessarily accomplish my tasks for that day.
I am too hard on myself and often allow bad days of unaccopmlished goals spill in to corrupt othr brand new days. However, I have learned to just show up no matter how small. Because I learned from the book 'Atomic Habits" that every action no matter how insignificant is a vote to the type of person you want to become.

1. Tell us about any changes you want to make to your coding plan. I think I would have to remove exercises as part of my first activities in the morning so that I can use that period when I am at my optimal best to code more.
Collapse

adrianskar profile image
Adrian Skar

every action no matter how insignificant is a vote to the type of person you want to become. πŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺ

Collapse

adrianskar profile image
Adrian Skar

Forgot to post after completing this mission, πŸ˜•
I felt like I made some progress but not nearly as much as I would had I had the time I thought when I started the challenge.
I'll prioritize changes regarding task priorities to give this habit of coding and studying more relevance in my schedule. Thanks for reading!

Collapse

kc profile image
K C

Yes for the most part. I am working through my task list. I do get stuck but so far I tried my best to stick with goals that are

• short;
  • achievable;
  • meaningful;
  • and also ones that challenge my ability.

Not much TBH. I've added a category to tasks that I may not necessarily want to do but can be reviewed later. Some of these then get added to my "todo" category.
I guess the only part that needs a change is more consistent time slot when I code. At the moment I bit all over the place.

Collapse

anavela profile image
Ana Vela

I'm late to post this, but I'm making an effort to complete the challenge on time overall!

Spending this time writing down my goals has given me a boost to get more rigorous with my study plans. My longterm goals have revolved around creating a more consistent habit of coding which is actually happening now. Taking the time each day to do work on a project and reviewing coding materials will make a big difference.

I feel good about my plan so far which is mainly to work on more Frontend Mentor projects. I'm also working on some other side projects and improving on them. As I incorporate more time to study and build, I'm refining my plan and improving my skills.

Collapse

lesleynicole profile image
Lesley-Nicole
    Yes I do. I would say getting a portfolio site together is progress for sure. Yay!

I'm going to take a beginners course on databases. I know, i know, it sounds totally boring and I hope I can get through it but instead of jumping to a totally different area I'm gonna try and strengthen the skills I already have. Plus pretty much every area needs a database at some point so it will be beneficial regardless.