CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for Hi! We’re Microsoft Azure and we’re proud Patron Sponsors of CodeLand 2022
Nitya Narasimhan for Microsoft U.S. Developer

Posted on • Updated on

Hi! We’re Microsoft Azure and we’re proud Patron Sponsors of CodeLand 2022

Hey there, CodeLand attendees!

The Microsoft Azure team is really excited to connect with you at this year’s event!

Developers like you are essential to driving change and building meaningful experiences in the world today. We want to empower every one of you to do more. Check out our resources to jumpstart your #Code2Cloud journey

Want to keep in touch with the latest Microsoft Developer news and updates? Follow our team here:

1. Jumpstart Your Java Journey

here are some resources to help!

Java For Beginners. Watch the 21-part video series of Java Fundamentals. Video
Java Samples For Beginners. Get hands-on experience with code samples. Code
Learn Java On Azure. Resource collection to continue your Journey! Collection

2. Jumpstart Your Python Journey

Three resources to build your Python fundamentals!

3A. Jumpstart Your JavaScript Journey

Three resources to build your JavaScript fundamentals!

3B. Continue Your Web Development Journey

Three resources to start web development!

4. Come to my CodeLand Lightning Talk

My name is Nitya Narasimhan and I’m a Senior Cloud Advocate on the JavaScript Advocacy team at Microsoft. I’ll be giving a lightning talk at CodeLand on June 17, 2022 (Day 2) about the 5 steps you can take to jumpstart your developer journey into cloud computing and artificial intelligence, with Azure! And I’ll share one thing you can do today to add Azure development to your resume!

Here's a sneak peek at my talk!

Code to Cloud

Have questions or feedback? Leave me a comment below

5. Jumpstart Your Azure Journey

So - I noticed a few folks asking about resources related to Azure Certifications and learning Azure Fundamentals. So thought I'd add this section, starting with this Visual Guide to Azure Fundamentals. You can download and print a hi-res version or read the blog post for more information.

A Visual Guide to Azure Fundamentals

Three resource to explore:

6. Let’s Chat on DEV!

I am a proud member of the DEV community where I love connecting with a variety of different people about our shared love of coding.

As a tie-in with CodeLand, I just published a few relevant discussion posts on DEV. If you’re a member of DEV, I’d love to read your responses to the following topics there…

If you are located in the US engage with us on CodeNewbie or Dev.To and we will send you a redemption code via Discord (Please include Discord handle in post)

From all of us at Microsoft Azure, have a wonderful experience at CodeLand 2022 🌈

We'd love to stay in touch with you after CodeLand concludes! If you'd like to stay up to date with everything Microsoft Developer click here. You’ll be able to unsubscribe anytime you wish.

Latest comments (188)

Collapse

ddan4ik24 profile image
ddan4ik24 • Edited

I opened my own business selling children's things, but in order for my business to take off, I turned to the company and there is a service called it infrastructure management powerfulitsystems.net/cloud-manage... and they helped me a lot in my business, I'm so glad that I turned to them, plus they helped me set up Windows for all my employees. They did everything professionally and efficiently, I am so glad that I turned to them, because they did everything quickly and, most importantly, efficiently. But thanks to this company, my sales have increased.

Collapse

necolanch profile image
Nicholas Cruz

As I am a Web Design & Development major, my best friend is a Computer Science major and has been learning Java heavily. I will definitely be utilizing the series of videos here to learn Java. My education has been based all around JavaScript development which I love and is extremely versatile. However, I know different tools do different things and I would like to see what can be done with Java. I have a freelance graphic design background and I am aiming to be specialize as front end developer but I want to be well-rounded.

Collapse

nakedgrammer profile image
Sea Dub

Hi, I'm learning python using VS Code on Win10. Loving VS Code compared to setting up other IDE's on a windows machine. I think I'm most interested in back end development, at least right now. My discord handle is: Chris Withey#1713

Collapse

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan

Are you a Python-only dev or also interested in JS? I had some links in an earlier comment thread that showed how to use Flask/Django based backends for Python - and my team does a lot with using Node.js and related backend frameworks and serverless architectures to complement front-end applications.

Let me know what you're thinking of and happy to help add more resources

Collapse

gigiboop profile image
gigi-boop • Edited

Great infographic! As a super newbie, I honestly didn't quite understand cloud, but now it's really starting to click for me. I used to transcribe business meetings and calls, and they would use terms like SaaS, so I would look them up and learn the definition and everything, but I didn't get the bigger picture or the why until now. I appreciate your beginner's resources. I will check them out more a little later when I have more time!
Discord:gigi-boop#3188

Collapse

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan

Yes absolutely!! I find that having a visual metaphor for new concepts can really help make related concepts easier to understand. I hope to publish more on Azure Fundamentals in this community if there is enough interest so do let me know.

Collapse

gigiboop profile image
gigi-boop

I'm interested!

Collapse

ddaypunk profile image
Andy Delso

Hello! Saw the "Begin your journey..." talk and really enjoyed the design of the slides! My previous job used Azure for builds, and I had always thought about learning it. However, my new role doesn't use it. As an automation engineer, do you think it is worth it even in a general sense?

Collapse

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan

Yes absolutely - in fact I was re-watching Kelsey Hightower's keynote and one piece of advice really resonated which is to go deep in a topic to have long lasting career value. So as an automation engineer, you absolutely want to learn how concepts are APPLIED in environments like Azure so it is worth learning. And once you do, you will find that adapting or mapping those ideas to a different cloud (AWS, GCP) becomes easier so you can work in multi-cloud environments as well. Start with Azure Fundamentals, then look at the certification options for DevOps engineers etc.

Collapse

ddaypunk profile image
Andy Delso

I was having issues finding a good link to that keynote as I have seen talks with him in the past I really enjoyed.

Thank you for the piece of advice, and I look forward to digging deeper into Azure in the future after my deep dive into Android :D

Collapse

msusdevmicrosoft profile image
Microsoft Developer Team

@ddaypunk I think it is definitely worth it because it looks like you are a Java developer correct, being and Androdid Developer? Im not sure if you work much in the Spring Framework but Microsoft has all different workload options for Java and plug ins, check it out here: docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/dev...
Also if you are in the US ping me on Discord for SWAG if you are interested: Scott Soine#6391

Collapse

ddaypunk profile image
Andy Delso

Correct, I have used Java for a number of years, and Kotlin more recently. I have dabbled with SpringBoot a bit for automation tools I have built. Thanks for the info and the invite on Discord! Just sent you a request, that should match my name here.

Collapse

brianschnee profile image
Brian Schnee

Hi, my name is Brian! I'm a Full-Stack Software Engineer looking to break into the field. I'm happy to see Microsoft is supporting CodeLand this year.

Collapse

Microsoft Developer Team

You are welcome @brian and we are honored to be part of this awesome community. If you are based in the US add me on Discord and I will give you a link to some SWAG: Scott Soine#6391

Collapse

brianschnee profile image
Brian Schnee

That would be awesome, I'll add you right now! Thank you, Scott!

Collapse

abmdev profile image
Auroiah Morgan

Working on my AZ-900 and 904. Looking to use the Cog services for a side project as well on MAUI!

Collapse

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan

YESSS!! Don't forget to try the #30DaysToLearnit challenge and get a potential discount on certifications. Look forward to learning more about your journey

Collapse

Microsoft Developer Team

Awesome! Maui is great like we were talking about and should have more updates coming during Novembers .NET conference please join us then. Have a great weekend!

Collapse

deesclouds profile image
Dee {he | they}

This is amazing! I'm learning Javascript and excited to learn more about how to navigate using Azure. I need to create a DEV account and join the DEV community there. My discord handle is: deescloud#3919

Collapse

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan

Please do!! Follow dev.to/azure for all things Azure - and you can find me at dev.to/nitya as well. We have a number of #30Days series planned to jumpstart learning so stay tuned

Collapse

Microsoft Developer Team

Thank you Dee! excited to hear about your journey! And please keep in touch I will ping you on Discord now!

Collapse

hugodelgado18 profile image
HugoDelgado18

Hello!

First thank you for all the resources I was already considering getting my azure certification but wasnt sure if it was the right decision, but after looking at the information included here i'm definitely getting certified.
I completed my Software engineer bootcamp program and have continued to learn becoming skills in React Rails / MERN Full-stack development. I'm always looking to grow and was hoping to talk to someone at microsoft about any available roles for some with my background and skills.

Thank you!
hugo18#3383

Collapse

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan

All the best with certification!! It is the right step at this time of your career! Don't forget to check out the careers.microsoft.com to see what kinds of opportunities are here and if something specific catches your attention, let us know!

Collapse

hugodelgado18 profile image
HugoDelgado18

Thank you so much!
I'm definitely at a stage where I feel I've learned a lot technically however I still very lost when it comes to the actual action of securing a career in this field or just navigating how best to prepare for applying to these positions.
Would it be possible to have a chat with you when you're available?

Collapse

Microsoft Developer Team

Thanks @hugodelgado18 ! Means a lot to us at Microsoft that you are putting in time to get certified. We are forever grateful. I added you on Discord and if you are based in the US I can send you some SWAG :)

Collapse

amandamcmullin profile image
Amanda McMullin

Nitya - I truly enjoyed your talk earlier today! I loved the tips and suggestions...especially the inclusion of pay it forward. I can't wait to learn more about the cloud.

Collapse

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan

WOOT!! Always here to help and hope to start posting more content on #CodeNewbies as well - you can also find some of my previous series at dev.to/nitya/series - and do let me know how I can help

Collapse

Microsoft Developer Team

Thank you @amandamcmullin ! I know she appreciates it and also please ping me on Discord for some SWAG Scott Soine#6391

Collapse

myusuf_mugalu profile image
myusuf

Hey nitya thanks for the great talk you shared with us. it was really insightful.

Collapse

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan

Yes - appreciate this greatly - and thank you for taking time to come hang out on this channel and watch the talks. Let me know how i can help you continue your learning journey!

Collapse

Microsoft Developer Team

Thank you ! I know @nitya and I appreciate it a lot.

Collapse

jawaragordon profile image
Jawara Gordon • Edited

Hi, thanks for being here!

I'm a brand-new full-stack developer 1/2 way through my first BootCamp. We've spent the most amount of time on JavaScript so far. Is this the best path forward with Azure or would Python be a better way to go?

discord: JawaraGordon#1801

Collapse

Microsoft Developer Team

HEy @jawaragordon . Think of Azure as a one stop shop for any language, whether it be JavaScript, Java, C#, Python, etc. There are 3 Public cloud providers. Azure, GCP and AWS. I think Azure is the best with scale, latency and throughput :)... So I would invest your time in learning Azure so you can run JS functions and Python for your Data science needs. Also follow this twitter handle for great Python and VS code stuff: twitter.com/pythonvscode

Collapse

brendondsouza profile image
Brendon D'Souza

Hi there! I’m currently learning react and trying to get my first job in tech! I’m based in NC USA! Excited to be here!!

Discord brendon_goa2usa#5535

Collapse

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan

Yess!!! You can't go wrong with learning React - let me know how it goes and if you need more resources or have questions. Excited for your journey and good luck with the first career step!

Collapse

Microsoft Developer Team

Awesome we are excited you are here too! :).. Sent you a Discord invite so I can send you the SWAG info. Thanks for considering Microsoft for your Developer needs!

Collapse

ddan4ik24 profile image
ddan4ik24

Every day I work with office and I needed to install this program. I found a company and there is a service - this is office 365 managed service provider powerfulitsystems.net/cloud-manage... and the main thing is that they installed everything for me quickly and it wasn’t that expensive. I'm so glad, because I installed Office myself, there was always a trial version and the program did not fully work. Now I can work with documents with ease.

Collapse

kitamreik profile image
Kit Fenrir Amreik

Hello! My name is Kit Fenrir Amreik (they/she), based in Boston and future Colorado transplant! I am a Global Restorative and Transformative Justice Practitioner & Instructor, as well as a Jr. Full Stack Web Developer, from the CodeSquad bootcamp this year! When I am not coding, I am an avid video gamer!

I would like to connect around further opportunities to further refine my abilities towards entry level work for Full Stack/Back End Development, as well as management/for advancement. Stay tuned and keep it touch! ❤️
| linkedin.com/in/kit-amreik/

I have been learning Python and it's been a blast thus far!

Collapse

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan

Woot! Congratulations on being both a developer and an instructor to help others learn!! There are some Python resources in the post, and more to come - but curious to know if your web development work is in Python or if you are also exploring JS/Node.js ?

Collapse

kitamreik profile image
Kit Fenrir Amreik

I also will be exploring the Python course here as well :D

Collapse

kitamreik profile image
Kit Fenrir Amreik

Hello Nitya! Thanks for responding! My web development work is based in JS/Node.js and I took a self-guided course on Codecademy on Python 3 recently! I hope to continue to explore Python more with the Python resources in the post. <3

Collapse

Microsoft Developer Team

@kitamreik awesome! Love it and definitely follow the twitter.com/pythonvscode handle, they are great and can help on anything Python within Microsoft. What is your Discord? Add me and I can send you SWAG link: Scott Soine#6391

Collapse

alyssha profile image
Alyssha

Thank you so much for providing so many great resources for us Newbies!

Collapse

Microsoft Developer Team

You are welcome @alyssha ! Let us know if you need anything else and if you are in the US and want SWAG send me a ping on Discord: Scott Soine#6391