CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for Hi! We’re Microsoft Azure and we’re proud Patron Sponsors of CodeLand 2022
Nitya Narasimhan for Microsoft U.S. Developer

Posted on • Updated on

Hi! We’re Microsoft Azure and we’re proud Patron Sponsors of CodeLand 2022

Hey there, CodeLand attendees!

The Microsoft Azure team is really excited to connect with you at this year’s event!

Developers like you are essential to driving change and building meaningful experiences in the world today. We want to empower every one of you to do more. Check out our resources to jumpstart your #Code2Cloud journey

Want to keep in touch with the latest Microsoft Developer news and updates? Follow our team here:

1. Jumpstart Your Java Journey

here are some resources to help!

Java For Beginners. Watch the 21-part video series of Java Fundamentals. Video
Java Samples For Beginners. Get hands-on experience with code samples. Code
Learn Java On Azure. Resource collection to continue your Journey! Collection

2. Jumpstart Your Python Journey

Three resources to build your Python fundamentals!

3A. Jumpstart Your JavaScript Journey

Three resources to build your JavaScript fundamentals!

3B. Continue Your Web Development Journey

Three resources to start web development!

4. Come to my CodeLand Lightning Talk

My name is Nitya Narasimhan and I’m a Senior Cloud Advocate on the JavaScript Advocacy team at Microsoft. I’ll be giving a lightning talk at CodeLand on June 17, 2022 (Day 2) about the 5 steps you can take to jumpstart your developer journey into cloud computing and artificial intelligence, with Azure! And I’ll share one thing you can do today to add Azure development to your resume!

Here's a sneak peek at my talk!

Code to Cloud

Have questions or feedback? Leave me a comment below

5. Jumpstart Your Azure Journey

So - I noticed a few folks asking about resources related to Azure Certifications and learning Azure Fundamentals. So thought I'd add this section, starting with this Visual Guide to Azure Fundamentals. You can download and print a hi-res version or read the blog post for more information.

A Visual Guide to Azure Fundamentals

Three resource to explore:

6. Let’s Chat on DEV!

I am a proud member of the DEV community where I love connecting with a variety of different people about our shared love of coding.

As a tie-in with CodeLand, I just published a few relevant discussion posts on DEV. If you’re a member of DEV, I’d love to read your responses to the following topics there…

If you are located in the US engage with us on CodeNewbie or Dev.To and we will send you a redemption code via Discord (Please include Discord handle in post)

From all of us at Microsoft Azure, have a wonderful experience at CodeLand 2022 🌈

We'd love to stay in touch with you after CodeLand concludes! If you'd like to stay up to date with everything Microsoft Developer click here. You’ll be able to unsubscribe anytime you wish.

Top comments (186)

Collapse

electroholmes profile image
ElectroHolmes

Hello! I'm an electronic engineer pursuing a master's degree in electronic and computer engineering. In recent years, I've been discovering and monitoring Microsoft's every event with their great products, and they never fail amaze me! I hope to be a part of Microsoft in the future :). I've been working on fields like IoT, AI, Machine Learning, Cybersecurity, and Image Processing.

Collapse

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan

Congratulations!! As a undergrad in Electronics and Communications Engineering myself, I'm super glad to see the subject thrive. Definitely check out the Book of News from Microsoft Build. There was a lot of good stuff there.

I actually made a visual summary
twitter.com/nitya/status/152918169...

Collapse

ElectroHolmes

Hello Mam. Thank you for replying! That;s amazing. I regularly read the Book of News and reading this page is my favourite time of the day :). I'll check out the visual summary shared via Twitter post now!

Collapse

msusdevmicrosoft profile image
Microsoft Developer Team

Hey Ninad! Thanks for stopping by... I will be CCing you on an email shortly. Also Vincent on the security team will be possibly be reaching out.

Collapse

ElectroHolmes

Hello Dev Team. Thank you for replying! For sure. Will wait for the email :).

Thread Thread

Microsoft Developer Team

It's me, Scott Ninad!

Thread Thread

ElectroHolmes

Hello Sir!! Glad that you responded on my post :)

Collapse

kitamreik profile image
Kit Fenrir Amreik

Hello! My name is Kit Fenrir Amreik (they/she), based in Boston and future Colorado transplant! I am a Global Restorative and Transformative Justice Practitioner & Instructor, as well as a Jr. Full Stack Web Developer, from the CodeSquad bootcamp this year! When I am not coding, I am an avid video gamer!

I would like to connect around further opportunities to further refine my abilities towards entry level work for Full Stack/Back End Development, as well as management/for advancement. Stay tuned and keep it touch! ❤️
| linkedin.com/in/kit-amreik/

I have been learning Python and it's been a blast thus far!

Collapse

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan

Woot! Congratulations on being both a developer and an instructor to help others learn!! There are some Python resources in the post, and more to come - but curious to know if your web development work is in Python or if you are also exploring JS/Node.js ?

Collapse

kitamreik profile image
Kit Fenrir Amreik

I also will be exploring the Python course here as well :D

Collapse

kitamreik profile image
Kit Fenrir Amreik

Hello Nitya! Thanks for responding! My web development work is based in JS/Node.js and I took a self-guided course on Codecademy on Python 3 recently! I hope to continue to explore Python more with the Python resources in the post. <3

Collapse

Microsoft Developer Team

@kitamreik awesome! Love it and definitely follow the twitter.com/pythonvscode handle, they are great and can help on anything Python within Microsoft. What is your Discord? Add me and I can send you SWAG link: Scott Soine#6391

Collapse

ornevirardi profile image
Orne Virardi

Hi!!

I am a front end web developer, and I am so excited to see Azure here on CodeLand!!
I am an accountant that made the change to tech three years ago and I would like to know if Microsoft offers positions for people who are starting their careers in tech.
Thanks!

My discord handle is: ornemoon#0624

Collapse

Microsoft Developer Team

@ornevirardi we definitely do. Are you using JS for Front End Development or what is your language of choice? I will contact you on Discord too

Collapse

ornevirardi profile image
Orne Virardi

That's great!
I mostly use Javascript. I also use React, Node, Webpack, TailwindCss, and I am learning Typescript.

Thread Thread

Microsoft Developer Team

Awesome! @nitya is a JS expert! Thanks again for stopping and talking on Discord :)

Thread Thread

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan

Hey @ornevirardi - yes absolutely! I am on the JavaScript Advocacy team (and you can find me @nitya on Twitter or Discord as well) - Microsoft absolutely does have tech positions for all levels of experience and backgrounds. What kind of role are you looking for? There are engineering and project management roles but also content creation and advocacy. PS. Learning Typescript is a good thing.

Collapse

ddaypunk profile image
Andy Delso

Hello! Saw the "Begin your journey..." talk and really enjoyed the design of the slides! My previous job used Azure for builds, and I had always thought about learning it. However, my new role doesn't use it. As an automation engineer, do you think it is worth it even in a general sense?

Collapse

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan

Yes absolutely - in fact I was re-watching Kelsey Hightower's keynote and one piece of advice really resonated which is to go deep in a topic to have long lasting career value. So as an automation engineer, you absolutely want to learn how concepts are APPLIED in environments like Azure so it is worth learning. And once you do, you will find that adapting or mapping those ideas to a different cloud (AWS, GCP) becomes easier so you can work in multi-cloud environments as well. Start with Azure Fundamentals, then look at the certification options for DevOps engineers etc.

Collapse

ddaypunk profile image
Andy Delso

I was having issues finding a good link to that keynote as I have seen talks with him in the past I really enjoyed.

Thank you for the piece of advice, and I look forward to digging deeper into Azure in the future after my deep dive into Android :D

Collapse

Microsoft Developer Team

@ddaypunk I think it is definitely worth it because it looks like you are a Java developer correct, being and Androdid Developer? Im not sure if you work much in the Spring Framework but Microsoft has all different workload options for Java and plug ins, check it out here: docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/dev...
Also if you are in the US ping me on Discord for SWAG if you are interested: Scott Soine#6391

Collapse

ddaypunk profile image
Andy Delso

Correct, I have used Java for a number of years, and Kotlin more recently. I have dabbled with SpringBoot a bit for automation tools I have built. Thanks for the info and the invite on Discord! Just sent you a request, that should match my name here.

Collapse

nodeicode profile image
Lohit Aryan

LARY#1809 Typescript dev here! been wanting to lean elixir for a while the phoenix framework is nothing less than amazing in terms of multi thread performance. Biggest framework I'm into right now is Remix, its changing the web dev game quite a bit.
quick question: does azure support serverless or edge deployments? would definitely love to try it!

Collapse

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan

Hiya @nodeicode Woot!! Love TypeScript!!

Re: Serverless and Edge. YES. YES WE DO.
And coincidentally there will be a ton of content and resources around edge AI and developing for edge devices during July (you might want to follow the dev.to/azure account) - and we are running a similar series in September that focuses on Serverless

Here are a couple of links to help for now:
Serverless on Azure: azure.microsoft.com/en-us/solution...
Azure IoT Edge: docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/iot...

Collapse

nodeicode profile image
Lohit Aryan

Thank you!!
The serverless on azure definitely stands out! hope you guys market the hell outta this!

Thread Thread

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan

Keep an eye on this series dev.to/nitya/series/8675 - there may be something interesting to add to that in September :-)

Collapse

Microsoft Developer Team

@nodeicode definitely do let me get you some Docs info on those and feel free to reach out to me if you have more questions... I will also ping you on Discord!

Collapse

jolenekearse profile image
Jolene Kearse

Hi! Happy to see Azure here. I'm a JavaScript developer, well... learner, but I'm working on stepping things up! What stage do you recommend learning Azure? I still have some blank spots in my skills, like I always fail when I try to use an API.

Collapse

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan

@jolenekearse I'm on the JS Advocacy team at Microsoft so this is music to my ears!

My roadmap is

• Learn JS (language)
  • Learn Node.js (server-side programming)
  • Learn Azure Fundamentals (core concepts and services)

The last step can be done in parallell with the first since it is not JS-centric - but once you learn the fundamentals then definitely start applying them by trying out Azure samples using the JS SDK. What kinds of things do you want to build? What APIs are you trying to use? Leave me a comment and I can try to share better resources

Collapse

jolenekearse profile image
Jolene Kearse

Thank you for the direction! There are so many technologies to learn and I don't always know which direction to go in my learning.
I can't remember all the APIs I've tried to use. I just try when one comes up in my search for a problem I'm trying to solve.
I'm trying to get to a hireable state for my first tech position. But I originally got into programming to build educational resources and game apps for young students. I was an English teacher .

Collapse

Microsoft Developer Team

@jolenekearse is your blank spots more back end? Do you use Node.js for that? If so I can get you some resources in regards to that... Thanks for stopping by the booth, hope all is well in China :)

Collapse

gigiboop profile image
gigi-boop • Edited

Great infographic! As a super newbie, I honestly didn't quite understand cloud, but now it's really starting to click for me. I used to transcribe business meetings and calls, and they would use terms like SaaS, so I would look them up and learn the definition and everything, but I didn't get the bigger picture or the why until now. I appreciate your beginner's resources. I will check them out more a little later when I have more time!
Discord:gigi-boop#3188

Collapse

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan

Yes absolutely!! I find that having a visual metaphor for new concepts can really help make related concepts easier to understand. I hope to publish more on Azure Fundamentals in this community if there is enough interest so do let me know.

Collapse

gigiboop profile image
gigi-boop

I'm interested!

Collapse

itzdjin profile image
Itz-Djin

Hi Nitya and MS team! Thanks for the information and the visual guide. I've already printed it out and put it on the wall. Before starting my journey I had a friend recommend me the Azure fundamentals course as well! Looking forward to going through it while going through my Bootcamp!

Question for Nitya; What has been your favorite part throughout your journey learning about computer science and programming?

Collapse

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan

Hi @itzdjin - catching up this morning on all comments and sorry for the delay responding.

I have been in research, engineering, startups and advocacy. And I have to say that my favorite part of the CS journey has been in understanding HOW THINGS WORK under the hood. Sometimes that means research where you dive into papers and books and try to learn concepts from experts - and sometimes that means development where you learn by just trying things out, breaking them, trying to fix them, and then making that connection in your head on why things work again.

But the reason I got into advocacy was that the absolute favorite part of my journey has been in SHARING what I learn and hopefully inspiring others to follow the same path. With every passing day we have better tools and AI to automate the mundane parts of computer science, so we can focus on building new and interesting things. Community energizes me most - learning from others and sharing my own experiences in turn.

Collapse

Microsoft Developer Team

@nitya can you please share about your journey? @Itz I'm a Developer marketer that started out as a Microsoft vendor about 8 years ago. I was in Marketing Ops but knew developer was a key motion that was hard to understand for none technical side. I decided to work on Cloud Skills Challenge internally at Microsoft and that is where I got exposure 2 years ago to this team. I made connections and ultimately looped for a different role but they needed me to take over all 3rd party developer events in the US and did, and have been doing it every since learning from all the communities. This is one of the best I have come across.. I also do events like JavaOne, PyCon, KubeCon, Kafka Summit, DevNexus, PyCascades, etc.

Collapse

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan

Done! Also check out this (old) series of essays I wrote about my journey in tech
dev.to/nitya/series/8097

Collapse

20jasper profile image
Jacob Asper

Hi Microsoft employee, how are you doing today?

Collapse

Microsoft Developer Team

Going great! How are you Jacob! Thanks for stopping by! Where are you located?

Collapse

20jasper profile image
Jacob Asper

I'm in Ohio, what about you?

Thread Thread

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan

I'm in New York but @msusdevmicrosoft and Cloud Advocacy team members are distributed all over the US (and the world).

Thread Thread

Microsoft Developer Team • Edited

@20jasper I'm in Bellevue WA, whats your Discord? I will send you the link to get a free t-shirt and pack of stickers! Or add me to your Discord Scott Soine#6391

Thread Thread

20jasper profile image
Jacob Asper

It's 20jasper#9593

Thread Thread

20jasper profile image
Jacob Asper

Thank you so much!

Collapse

hellotjphan profile image
TJ Phan

Hello hello! I am so happy to be here at my first CodeLand event. The talks and the people and community are just nothing short of wonderful. Thank you Microsoft team for making this even possible.

I had made the career pivot to become a full stack developer at the start of this year, and taking my optician roots that's all about upfront client helping and nurturing wellness. I am searching to make connections for opportunities to make an impact with coding. What does the opportunity scene looks like at Microsoft for early career individuals? What does growth look like there?
My discord is Glitjch - TJ #9308 🇨🇦🥰

Collapse

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan

Thanks for stopping by - and congratulations on making the pivot to full stack development. There are a number of teams at Microsoft that work with JavaScript, TypeScript and all aspects of end-to-end web application development - from Microsoft Edge Developers (browser) to Playwright (testing) and PWA Builder (progressive web apps). There are also folks working on JavaScript SDKs (e.g., for Azure) and content (e.g., Microsoft Docs/Learn, samples etc.) - so there are many ways to engage.

Some suggestions are:
Look at open career positions and the teams they are on - then look at the GitHub Microsoft or Azure organization to see the kinds of projects the teams work on, and the people involved. See if that resonates - if you are looking to get hands-on experience, try contributing to an Open Source project. Reach out and talk to folks on the team to get a better understanding of the opportunities and then apply if it feels like a good fit.

I will say that this is a big company with many different roles, projects and teams and there should be entry-level positions available.

Collapse

Microsoft Developer Team

Hey @hellotjphan I tried to add you to my Discord but I couldn't. If you are located in the US add me and I will get you the info Scott Soine#6391

Collapse

hellotjphan profile image
TJ Phan

I am just your friendly Canadian neighbour, but if you would still have me please let me know! Either way thanks for reaching out and I'll be sure to check out some posted resources here for some serious level ups.

Collapse

bobbybates profile image
Bobby Bates

Hey, Nitya and Microsoft Dev Team! Thanks for sponsoring CodeLand 🙌

I'm Bobby, current web dev student @ Flatiron School. Love this work and community!

Remote, distributed, asynchronous work excites me so much. What aspects of these do your teams continue to implement after the Return To Office?

(Discord: bobby_bates#5793)

Collapse

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan

Hi Bobby - As my colleague mentioned, I am on the JavaScript Advocacy team. My entire team is remote and distributed (we have folks in Europe, Brazil, and Australia) and we have a lot of best practices (documentation online, alteranting times for meetings etc) to support remote workers. I hardly remember what it is like to work in an office now :-)

Collapse

Microsoft Developer Team

@bobbybates my team focuses on Azure Developer Marketing and @nitya more on the JS Developer side, you are likely thinking of the Teams and MS Graph teams that do this work on a daily basis...

Collapse

hugodelgado18 profile image
HugoDelgado18

Hello!

First thank you for all the resources I was already considering getting my azure certification but wasnt sure if it was the right decision, but after looking at the information included here i'm definitely getting certified.
I completed my Software engineer bootcamp program and have continued to learn becoming skills in React Rails / MERN Full-stack development. I'm always looking to grow and was hoping to talk to someone at microsoft about any available roles for some with my background and skills.

Thank you!
hugo18#3383

Collapse

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan

All the best with certification!! It is the right step at this time of your career! Don't forget to check out the careers.microsoft.com to see what kinds of opportunities are here and if something specific catches your attention, let us know!

Collapse

hugodelgado18 profile image
HugoDelgado18

Thank you so much!
I'm definitely at a stage where I feel I've learned a lot technically however I still very lost when it comes to the actual action of securing a career in this field or just navigating how best to prepare for applying to these positions.
Would it be possible to have a chat with you when you're available?

Collapse

Microsoft Developer Team

Thanks @hugodelgado18 ! Means a lot to us at Microsoft that you are putting in time to get certified. We are forever grateful. I added you on Discord and if you are based in the US I can send you some SWAG :)

Collapse

aigarspl profile image
Aigars Pluģis • Edited

Nice to see MS Azure as one of sponsors on CodeLand '22!

Hobbyist Web dev (currently PHP and Python) and sysadmin. Even tho I'm outside US (yeah, EU, Latvia), I am connected with your services on my daily use.

Collapse

Microsoft Developer Team

Awesome @aigarspl tell the GH team to give you some SWAG to Latvia, glad you are using Azure for your Microsoft Developer needs... any questions you have? Really appreciate it!

Collapse

aigarspl profile image
Aigars Pluģis

Definitely will do that! 😉🤗

Collapse

deesclouds profile image
Dee {he | they}

This is amazing! I'm learning Javascript and excited to learn more about how to navigate using Azure. I need to create a DEV account and join the DEV community there. My discord handle is: deescloud#3919

Collapse

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan

Please do!! Follow dev.to/azure for all things Azure - and you can find me at dev.to/nitya as well. We have a number of #30Days series planned to jumpstart learning so stay tuned

Collapse

Microsoft Developer Team

Thank you Dee! excited to hear about your journey! And please keep in touch I will ping you on Discord now!

Collapse

ckn00b profile image
Christian New

Hello, dotnet dev here! Always good to see MS at events. Discord keoni#0898 👋🏻

Collapse

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan

Great to meet you - have you worked with .NET MAUI or Blazor yet? Curious to know what kinds of projects you focus on

Collapse

ckn00b profile image
Christian New

Hello Nitya! I recall "meeting" you before at a previous Codeland. I got an Azure fanny pack and some stickers last we spoke. I've yet to work with MAUI, but I look forward to it soon. I've mostly worked with building web applications using Razor pages and other tools.

Thread Thread

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan

OMG!! The last Codeland that I was at (in person) was in 2019 I think -- we ran an IoT workshop and had hardware and a really nice tutorial to work through right? That is amazing - nice to meet you again. If you plan on doing anything with MAUI let me know. I have colleagues who are working on resources like the MAUI Community Toolkit docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/co... that may come in handy!!

Thread Thread

ckn00b profile image
Christian New

Yes, I believe that was the one. I'll take a look at that link and connect again if something comes up. My old team finished an Android project about a month before MAUI was production ready, but I'm sure the opportunity will come up again.

Thread Thread

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan

Sure thing - and if you are still doing Android work, do check out the Dual-Screen design and SDK support for the Surface Duo. It is a good exercise in adapting your mobile experiences to take into account the slew of new foldable form factors for phones.

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dual-scre...

Collapse

Microsoft Developer Team

Hey Christian! Welcome, do you have any specific questions about dotnet? How long have you been a developer? I will ping you via the Discord now too

Collapse

ckn00b profile image
Christian New

I don't have any specific questions for now, thanks. I've been a dev for a little over a year and a half. I've used dotnet the whole time, mostly because of the teams I've been on, but I prefer it outside of work projects too.