CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for Hi! We’re Microsoft Azure and we’re proud Patron Sponsors of CodeLand 2022
Nitya Narasimhan for Microsoft U.S. Developer

Posted on • Updated on

Hi! We’re Microsoft Azure and we’re proud Patron Sponsors of CodeLand 2022

Hey there, CodeLand attendees!

The Microsoft Azure team is really excited to connect with you at this year’s event!

Developers like you are essential to driving change and building meaningful experiences in the world today. We want to empower every one of you to do more. Check out our resources to jumpstart your #Code2Cloud journey

Want to keep in touch with the latest Microsoft Developer news and updates? Follow our team here:

1. Jumpstart Your Java Journey

here are some resources to help!

Java For Beginners. Watch the 21-part video series of Java Fundamentals. Video
Java Samples For Beginners. Get hands-on experience with code samples. Code
Learn Java On Azure. Resource collection to continue your Journey! Collection

2. Jumpstart Your Python Journey

Three resources to build your Python fundamentals!

3A. Jumpstart Your JavaScript Journey

Three resources to build your JavaScript fundamentals!

3B. Continue Your Web Development Journey

Three resources to start web development!

4. Come to my CodeLand Lightning Talk

My name is Nitya Narasimhan and I’m a Senior Cloud Advocate on the JavaScript Advocacy team at Microsoft. I’ll be giving a lightning talk at CodeLand on June 17, 2022 (Day 2) about the 5 steps you can take to jumpstart your developer journey into cloud computing and artificial intelligence, with Azure! And I’ll share one thing you can do today to add Azure development to your resume!

Here's a sneak peek at my talk!

Code to Cloud

Have questions or feedback? Leave me a comment below

5. Jumpstart Your Azure Journey

So - I noticed a few folks asking about resources related to Azure Certifications and learning Azure Fundamentals. So thought I'd add this section, starting with this Visual Guide to Azure Fundamentals. You can download and print a hi-res version or read the blog post for more information.

A Visual Guide to Azure Fundamentals

Three resource to explore:

6. Let’s Chat on DEV!

I am a proud member of the DEV community where I love connecting with a variety of different people about our shared love of coding.

As a tie-in with CodeLand, I just published a few relevant discussion posts on DEV. If you’re a member of DEV, I’d love to read your responses to the following topics there…

If you are located in the US engage with us on CodeNewbie or Dev.To and we will send you a redemption code via Discord (Please include Discord handle in post)

From all of us at Microsoft Azure, have a wonderful experience at CodeLand 2022 🌈

We'd love to stay in touch with you after CodeLand concludes! If you'd like to stay up to date with everything Microsoft Developer click here. You’ll be able to unsubscribe anytime you wish.

Oldest comments (188)

Collapse

ckn00b profile image
Christian New

Hello, dotnet dev here! Always good to see MS at events. Discord keoni#0898 👋🏻

Collapse

msusdevmicrosoft profile image
Microsoft Developer Team

Hey Christian! Welcome, do you have any specific questions about dotnet? How long have you been a developer? I will ping you via the Discord now too

Collapse

ckn00b profile image
Christian New

I don't have any specific questions for now, thanks. I've been a dev for a little over a year and a half. I've used dotnet the whole time, mostly because of the teams I've been on, but I prefer it outside of work projects too.

Collapse

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan

Great to meet you - have you worked with .NET MAUI or Blazor yet? Curious to know what kinds of projects you focus on

Collapse

ckn00b profile image
Christian New

Hello Nitya! I recall "meeting" you before at a previous Codeland. I got an Azure fanny pack and some stickers last we spoke. I've yet to work with MAUI, but I look forward to it soon. I've mostly worked with building web applications using Razor pages and other tools.

Thread Thread

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan

OMG!! The last Codeland that I was at (in person) was in 2019 I think -- we ran an IoT workshop and had hardware and a really nice tutorial to work through right? That is amazing - nice to meet you again. If you plan on doing anything with MAUI let me know. I have colleagues who are working on resources like the MAUI Community Toolkit docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/co... that may come in handy!!

Thread Thread

ckn00b profile image
Christian New

Yes, I believe that was the one. I'll take a look at that link and connect again if something comes up. My old team finished an Android project about a month before MAUI was production ready, but I'm sure the opportunity will come up again.

Thread Thread

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan

Sure thing - and if you are still doing Android work, do check out the Dual-Screen design and SDK support for the Surface Duo. It is a good exercise in adapting your mobile experiences to take into account the slew of new foldable form factors for phones.

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dual-scre...

Collapse

codewithbuikem profile image
Kalu Victor

Hello Ms what would you advice someone to learn if the plan to work in any of your offices outside the U.S

Collapse

Microsoft Developer Team

@codewithbuikem what city/country are you looking to work in? Are you coming out of university or already a Dev? The best way is to reach out to local geo recruiters. Happy to point you in the right direction and make an intro...

Collapse

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan

Hey Kalu - do you know what kind of role you might be interested in? We have a huge number of product groups and technologies. But I would recommend you start by doing the Azure Fundamentals Course (there is a certification option as well)

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/pat...

You can also check out a visual guide for this over here:
aka.ms/visual-azure-acg

Collapse

kithminiii profile image
Kithmini

Hola MS🙃​👋​

Discord: Bagya#6613

Collapse

Microsoft Developer Team

Hey @kithminiii I will ping you on Discord shortly :)

Collapse

20jasper profile image
Jacob Asper

Hi Microsoft employee, how are you doing today?

Collapse

Microsoft Developer Team

Going great! How are you Jacob! Thanks for stopping by! Where are you located?

Collapse

20jasper profile image
Jacob Asper

I'm in Ohio, what about you?

Thread Thread

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan

I'm in New York but @msusdevmicrosoft and Cloud Advocacy team members are distributed all over the US (and the world).

Thread Thread

Microsoft Developer Team • Edited

@20jasper I'm in Bellevue WA, whats your Discord? I will send you the link to get a free t-shirt and pack of stickers! Or add me to your Discord Scott Soine#6391

Thread Thread

20jasper profile image
Jacob Asper

It's 20jasper#9593

Thread Thread

20jasper profile image
Jacob Asper

Thank you so much!

Collapse

tsbrun profile image
Anya Brun

Thank you for making this amazing event possible!

Collapse

Microsoft Developer Team

You are welcome @tsbrun ! Its our pleasure and its amazing to be part of this great community. Its incredible the sharing and uplifting going on.

Collapse

moonshoeskelly profile image
moonshoeskelly

Great resources above. I am adding the video series to my learning list. The Java series looks great and the Javascript will be a good refresher. Thanks for sponsoring!

Collapse

Microsoft Developer Team

Great! Glad they are helpful @moonshoeskelly ! if you have any questions or specific need something clarified, happy to bring in the JS or Java Cloud Advocate team

Collapse

trobbierob profile image
Terence

Nitya's talk looks exciting. I love sketchnotes, but my hands don't work like that, lol.

Collapse

Microsoft Developer Team

@nitya has amazing sketches and she puts them together faster than some of those sketches artists in the park do. Her lighting talk tomorrow will be great, she is great and fun to work with!

Collapse

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan

If you ever want to give it a try check out aka.ms/visualize-IT - a few friends of mine and I got together and made a series of free 2 hour workshops that help anyone get started with visual note-taking and other visual storytelling ideas.

Look forward to seeing you there - and hope to excite you about building in the cloud!

Collapse

mnechromancer profile image
Jamison Ducey

Just got the AWS Cloud Practitioner certification, I'll be working on the Azure and AI Fundamentals certificates next!

Collapse

Microsoft Developer Team

Awesome love hear that! Thanks for taking the time and effort it puts in to do this! Are you on Discord? I can send you some additional info that could help prep..

Collapse

mnechromancer profile image
Jamison Ducey

For sure! JamisonWhoCodes#4306. Extra resources are always appreciated.

Collapse

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan

Don't forget to check out the #30DaysToLearnIt offers
developer.microsoft.com/en-us/offe...

I think there may be options that can get you a discount on those exams if you meet the requirements!

Collapse

nodeicode profile image
Lohit Aryan

LARY#1809 Typescript dev here! been wanting to lean elixir for a while the phoenix framework is nothing less than amazing in terms of multi thread performance. Biggest framework I'm into right now is Remix, its changing the web dev game quite a bit.
quick question: does azure support serverless or edge deployments? would definitely love to try it!

Collapse

Microsoft Developer Team

@nodeicode definitely do let me get you some Docs info on those and feel free to reach out to me if you have more questions... I will also ping you on Discord!

Collapse

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan

Hiya @nodeicode Woot!! Love TypeScript!!

Re: Serverless and Edge. YES. YES WE DO.
And coincidentally there will be a ton of content and resources around edge AI and developing for edge devices during July (you might want to follow the dev.to/azure account) - and we are running a similar series in September that focuses on Serverless

Here are a couple of links to help for now:
Serverless on Azure: azure.microsoft.com/en-us/solution...
Azure IoT Edge: docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/iot...

Collapse

nodeicode profile image
Lohit Aryan

Thank you!!
The serverless on azure definitely stands out! hope you guys market the hell outta this!

Thread Thread

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan

Keep an eye on this series dev.to/nitya/series/8675 - there may be something interesting to add to that in September :-)

Collapse

mr_romo profile image
Chris

My first ever conference just excited to learn as much as I can!
Discord: Mr_Romo#4214

Collapse

Microsoft Developer Team

Happy you are here @chris! I will connect with you on Discord too shortly!

Collapse

kevmoens profile image
Kevin Moens

Love Microsoft products
I've been learning Maui Blazor and included a Web Head.
Discord: Kevelop#3006

Collapse

Microsoft Developer Team

@Kevin that is awesome! Maui is something Im learning too. Jeff Fritz is a great person to listen to YouTube and Twitch as well as the .NET Rocks podcast and .NET Core podcast I suggest too

Collapse

asbourlotos profile image
Alexander Bourlotos • Edited

Awesome to see so many great sponsors for this event! Supporting future generations of tech is a great way to inspire ongoing innovation!

Discord - alexbourlotos#7116

Collapse

Microsoft Developer Team

Thanks @Alexander! Really appreciate it. We are honored and humbled to be a sponsor. We love and are committed to this community as well as Github!

Collapse

ornevirardi profile image
Orne Virardi

Hi!!

I am a front end web developer, and I am so excited to see Azure here on CodeLand!!
I am an accountant that made the change to tech three years ago and I would like to know if Microsoft offers positions for people who are starting their careers in tech.
Thanks!

My discord handle is: ornemoon#0624

Collapse

Microsoft Developer Team

@ornevirardi we definitely do. Are you using JS for Front End Development or what is your language of choice? I will contact you on Discord too

Collapse

ornevirardi profile image
Orne Virardi

That's great!
I mostly use Javascript. I also use React, Node, Webpack, TailwindCss, and I am learning Typescript.

Thread Thread

Microsoft Developer Team

Awesome! @nitya is a JS expert! Thanks again for stopping and talking on Discord :)

Thread Thread

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan

Hey @ornevirardi - yes absolutely! I am on the JavaScript Advocacy team (and you can find me @nitya on Twitter or Discord as well) - Microsoft absolutely does have tech positions for all levels of experience and backgrounds. What kind of role are you looking for? There are engineering and project management roles but also content creation and advocacy. PS. Learning Typescript is a good thing.

Collapse

goblinbrooke profile image
brooke

Thank you for the video resources!!

Collapse

Microsoft Developer Team

You are welcome @goblinbrooke happy to help! and let us know if you have any feedback, thanks for considering Microsoft for your Developer needs

Collapse

gpendleton profile image
Greg Pendleton

Hi MS, ex-Windows admin turned JavaScript developer here.

discord: merlin (Greg)#4929

Collapse

Microsoft Developer Team

Awesome @Greg! Lots of JS resources for Azure as you can see above. I will ping you on Discord above as well.

Collapse

nitya profile image
Nitya Narasimhan

JavaScript FTW!!