CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Discussion on: #5 | CodeNewbie Study Group Cohort - Looking For Study Mates!

Collapse

r002 profile image
Robert Lin

Hi Matt! Thanks for your comment! I totally agree-- I think the world is huge and there'll always be a place for all types of groups; definitely. To clarify, my take on it is just that moving forward, I think there's a kind of "fatigue" that has set in when it comes to public spaces. For example, I know Facebook likes to advertise itself as a "public square." And while a public square might be a fun place you visit every Saturday to hang out at the farmer's market or socialize, I don't think that's a space that actually fosters close and intimate connections. The vast majority of all FB connections are, I'm fairly certain, pretty shallow and weak relationships.

Personally (for me at least) Facebook is a great place for asynchronous communication. Like, my synagogue group can use FB to blast out announcements to all of its congregants and keep us up to date on the latest and greatest. But for more personal connections, I've begun increasingly turning to FB closed messaging groups or Google Hangouts closed messaging groups. That's what I meant by "more private and secure." Also, I like the idea of Reddit and FB "membership" groups where you need to be approved by some criteria in order to be admitted. Definitely not "secure" in any meaningful sense, but by including only a dedicated subset of interested people, I think that goes a long way towards building a healthy and productive community. (And weeding out trolls/bad actors!)