CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for Hi, We’re She Code Africa & We’re Excited to Connect with You at CodeLand 2022!
Omotola Eunice Omotayo for She Code Africa

Posted on

Hi, We’re She Code Africa & We’re Excited to Connect with You at CodeLand 2022!

This booth was made possible with the support of AWS.

Hey, CodeLand 2022 🙋‍♀️ !

We hope you’re enjoying this gathering of early-career software developers as much as we are. As an industry, it’s so important that we empower, support, encourage, and celebrate the next generation of female technical leaders. It is also important to bridge the gender gap in tech by empowering women and girls with the technical skills they need to scale their career goals.
She Code Africa is thrilled to be at CodeLand as an exhibiting community. We were offered an exhibiting sponsor (made possible by CodeLand sponsors) in order to connect with attendees at this conference and spread our message. We think this message will be valuable to many of you. Thank you for stopping by our digital booth!

About She Code Africa

She Code Africa is a non-profit organization, with the largest community of women in tech in Africa. We focus on celebrating and empowering young girls and women in technology across Africa by providing a variety of benefits for our members including:

• Community Support - Networking opportunities (both virtual and in-person)
  • Technical growth-monitoring resources
  • Mentorship programs
  • Technical peer pairing for 1:1 professional guidance

Become a She Code Africa Queen

Do you identify as a girl/woman? Our community is a safe space of over 15,000 women in tech across Africa. Join us today

Learn more about She Code Africa

Kindly visit our website.

Join or Start a She Code Africa Chapter

If you are a girl or woman living in Africa and are interested in joining one of our city/campus chapters or thinking of starting a She Code Africa chapter in your city/campus, learn more here.

Make a donation

If you and/or your employer are interested in supporting the work we do to empower the women and girls across Africa, kindly you can do so here.

Partner with us

Work hand-in-hand with She Code Africa to achieve our goal of reaching more women in technology across Africa. Learn more by emailing us.

Chat with us 👩‍💻👩‍💻!

We’d love to hear from you in the comments below! Since the CodeLand audience represents a variety of backgrounds and experiences that could benefit the women and girls in Africa that our organization serves, we’d love to know…

What is the number one piece of advice you’d give to a young person learning to code?

If you are a young person learning to code yourself, we’d still love to hear what wisdom you’ve already acquired in the comments!

Thank you for stopping by the She Code Africa booth at CodeLand!

A HUGE thank you to AWS for sponsoring She Code Africa’s booth at CodeLand. Their generous support has allowed us to show up here today and connect with all of you. ❤️

If you'd get on our contact list for relevant news about She Code Africa and upcoming events, you can share your contact info with us using this form.

Top comments (90)

Collapse

jebitokdev profile image
Sharon Jebitok

Everytime I see the name or brand SheCodeAfrica it reminds me 2020, when I was starting to learn how to write how to code and one of the communities I joined was SheCodeAfrica. Later on that year I got a chance to mentor girls who were on Javascript beginner's track it was an humbling moment. I made alot of friends through the communities and I'm always proud seeing members of SheCodeAfrica. I was part of the first cohort of SheCodeAfrica's contributhon program that happened last year, this week one of the ladies who we attended the program together reached out in regards to a project they're working on and its been a year since we talked but it reminded me the power of networking and being in a tech communities that breaks especially being from Kenya and she's from another African country. SHECODEAFRICA LFG🙏🙌💪🏿🚀❤

Collapse

omotola profile image
Omotola Eunice Omotayo

Inspiring🌟
Thank you for sharing your tech story. Sure, it will motivate #CodeNewbies here.
We are happy to have been part of your success story.

Collapse

tsbrun profile image
Anya Brun

My advice to young women learning to code is to realize that imposter syndrome is normal for everyone, regardless of who they are, and to use it as a strength. Let it motivate your drive to learn and become skilled in your field. And when it’s telling you to hesitate or hold back—don’t listen to it; push back. The positive feedback you receive will help you prove to yourself that you really do deserve to be here.

Collapse

omotola profile image
Omotola Eunice Omotayo

Yes, Imposter syndrome is normal.

This is why we encourage She Code Africa Queens to Share their feelings, Let go of perfectionism, Share their failures, Accept it, and Celebrate their successes.

We build a welcoming and safe space for them to let it all out.

Collapse

tsbrun profile image
Anya Brun

Letting go of perfectionism is key. Worst case scenario, you get so wrapped up in being “perfect” and never making mistakes that you never learn and you give up on coding altogether. Getting stuck is normal and even necessary.

Collapse

theoriginalbpc profile image
Sarah Dye

Celebrate the small successes you accomplish along the way. Those small victories help you stay motivated and give you a big confidence boost. Small successes also show how much progress you've made across your coding journey and how far you come along way.

Collapse

omotola profile image
Omotola Eunice Omotayo

I agree with you.

At She Code Africa, we encourage Code Newbies to write about their tech journey. Put it all out, the failure, struggles, and the success. Share with a community of people of the same interest. You will look back one day and be proud of how far you have come.

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

So excited you are here @omotola & team She Code Africa!

Collapse

omotola profile image
Omotola Eunice Omotayo

Thank you, @graciegregory16 🤗

Collapse

anna_06 profile image
Tariere

An advice I'd give to those aspiring to be part of the tech world and taking on a path to be a woman in tech.. I'd tell for you to have a mentor and a guide that you'll be consistent with.

Because for me, I've always had a problem with consistency, though I'm getting better at it, I still need something to keep me in check. And I've been informed SCA is one of the best women's technical community that can render the help I seek.
Can't wait to be a member.. I'm already excited!

Collapse

kolokodess profile image
Ada Nduka Oyom

You're 100% right, consistency plays a great part to succeeding in tech!

We hope you've applied to be a member, if not you can always do so here: shecodeafrica.org 😊

Collapse

kithminiii profile image
Kithmini

I really like to become a member of Shecoded team.​🙊​😍​

Collapse

omotola profile image
Omotola Eunice Omotayo

Awesome! You are welcome.
Feel free to join us here

We can't wait to have you join us.

Collapse

rebeccaokine profile image
Bex👩🏿‍💻💜

Thank you She Code Team. Glad to be here.

Collapse

kolokodess profile image
Ada Nduka Oyom

Welcome Queen, don't forget to share our booth link with other ladies who would like to connect with us as well 😌

Collapse

rebeccaokine profile image
Bex👩🏿‍💻💜

Thanks. Will do.

Collapse

solakunmio profile image
Solakunmi Oyedele

Hello SCA fam, it's great to see you here!

Collapse

omotola profile image
Omotola Eunice Omotayo

Welcome 🤩

Collapse

kevwegloria profile image
Kevwe Gloria Okpoh

Very happy to be here ☺️

Collapse

omotola profile image
Omotola Eunice Omotayo

Welcome 🤩

Collapse

amarachiubah profile image
Amarachi

Glad you’re having an amazing time!

Collapse

amaraee profile image
Amaraee • Edited

So excited She Code Africa is hereeee🤗🤗🤗

Collapse

amarachiubah profile image
Amarachi

Yaaay 💃🏻 We’re stoked to be here too. Hope you had an amazing day 1?

Collapse

amaraee profile image
Amaraee

I did🙃

Collapse

gungz profile image
Agung Sidharta So

My advice is to not be afraid of failure, sometimes things that you learn may not be so clear but if you keep learning and trying, you will understand better and it will build confidence to learn much more.

Collapse

moonshoeskelly profile image
moonshoeskelly

I am not located in Africa but would like to join the SheCode community!

Collapse

omotola profile image
Omotola Eunice Omotayo

Our programs are target towards women and young girls in Africa.
Nevertheless, you are welcome to join, learn from, connect and network in our community. Join us

Collapse

hussain_codes profile image
Hussain Codes

I graduated from Uganda in an I.T degree (and there were CS and Software Eng. students in my class too) but unfortunately it was quite evident that the number of female classmates was significantly lower :-(

I believe that the work She Code Africa is doing is very impactful and essential in promoting more females in tech especially in Africa🌍

The number one piece of advice I'd give to a young person learning to code is to find community. Learning to code can be really hard, frustrating and it's easy to give up but with a kind & supportive community💞 you can get through to the other end and have access to opportunities to break into tech. Especially with the many problems we face in Africa like electricity, internet, resource access and fewer career opportunities it is even more important to find a community to hang-on to during those times when you almost feel like giving up.

Kudos to communities like Open Source Community Africa (OSCA) and She Code Africa for creating platforms that support devs on our fantastic continent❤

Collapse

omotola profile image
Omotola Eunice Omotayo

Thank you for your kind words, @hussain_codes

Collapse

dowmp profile image
Danielle (she/her)

As an old person learning to code, my advice is to learn in all different ways. Watch videos, read books, write code, read tweets, listen to podcasts - whenever you have time try and take in more knowledge through any media. Get involved in the community - join Discords, tweet about what you're learning, use hashtags to other people can find you and connect and chat about shared experiences.

Collapse

omotola profile image
Omotola Eunice Omotayo

Writing about the goals you have set, and your learning steps keeps accountable on your tech journey.
Age, background, cultural partice, educational background isn't a determine of starting or having a career in tech.

Collapse

toluloperobert profile image
Tolulope

My advice to person learning coding is to learn for the right reasons. Don't learn because that's what's in vogue, learn because you want to add value to humanity, you want to solve problems.
If you learn because it's the in thing, you will drop out.🤣

Collapse

omotola profile image
Omotola Eunice Omotayo

I agree with you @toluloperobert . Be at your own pace!!
Do your research, go for the path you have passion for, find a mentor, and belong to a community.