CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Discussion on: #CNC2021 "Write More" Mission 1 Submission Thread

Collapse

wolde_ai profile image
000 • Edited

My three writing ideas:

1. Tutorial: How to use higher order functions in JavaScript🤓

I think higher order functions are essential and very powerful for simplifying problems and solve them. I think it will also help me consolidate my Knowledge of those functions as I try to explain them to other people.

1. Explainer: Basics of Solidity language😁.

I am thinking of writing an article on the basics of Solidity language since I have a lot of interest in blockchain. I was excited to learn about it because it operates at the intersection of software development, data science/data management, cyberSecurity and Economics. I also think it will have a substantial amount of impact on different aspects of our lives in the future. So I think it is a great opportunity for me to learn and deepen my knowledge on the topic by writing about it.

1. Project: Challenges and Lesson learned from building my portfolio page🧐

I recently finished building my portfolio page. You can check it out here: wolde.dev/#/ . I experienced several challenges and there's definitely a lot of lessons I learned from it. I want to share those challenges, how I overcome them and what I learned from those experiences. I also want to get more feedback if possible for my portfolio page. I realized it can be difficult to get feedback from people for different reasons but by constructively criticizing my work, I might interest more people to give feedback. And that can be helpful to all of us.

Collapse

lyqht profile image
Estee Tey

Hey Dennis! I'm quite keen on reading your first article since this is more advanced concept that I have not tried out yet 😄

For your 3rd project, here is some of my feedback:

• I like your big social media buttons, its kinda funny that only LinkedIn is blue and the rest is black. But at the same time its strange that I can see the social media buttons twice on the same page (the big ones + the small ones at the footer) due to lack of content. Perhaps you might wanna remove the footer if your portfolio page isn't very long.
  • Your introduction
    • i think it is quite fun that you have an interactive segment where i can click the next button to know more about you. but you should add more padding between the text and around the them, it is difficult to read on a desktop.
    • A bit strange that i'm seeing your introduction twice - one that is animated and the other that is static. It makes me want to read only the static one.
  • It is not immediately clear that the icons represents the skill sets that you have. A short header will be helpful, especially for screen-readers that are navigating your site before they tab to your icons.
  • The first time i click the toggle dark/light mode, nothing happens.
  • As i personally have a high degree of glare in my eyesight, the changing neon color border on your profile is painful to look at 😓

Overall, good job!

Collapse

wolde_ai profile image

Hey Estee!

• 1st Thank you so much for the valuable feedback. I really do appreciate it. I will definitely look into better use of color combination when it comes to the changing neon color border. Even though I try to be cognizant of how the user interface is implemented, I did not take neon colors into consideration. I will make the change. I am constantly trying to optimize user experience.
  • I am glad you found the interactive segment fun😊. That was what I was aiming for. The reasoning behind two introductions is mainly because I had two different audiences for my portfolio website in mind. The first being recruiters and the second being developers and/or everyone else who would like to connect with me. I've heard recruiters gloss over portfolio websites and so I made the animated intro with that in mind.
  • I will include a short header to represent the skill set I have. I think that is a great idea.
  • I think the toggle dark/light mode has issue and I have experienced the some problem with it as well. I will try to debug and find out what the problem is so that I can fix it.
  • As far as the color choice of the social media icons, I am not going to change it because I that's the colors those social media companies use. I want to make it look as real as possible. Maybe I might consider the color change for the resume to balance it out.
  • The reason why I have the social media buttons in the footer in smaller size as well is not because I run out of content. It's more because I wanted a place where the user can access them from all the pages instead of only the home page.

I will definitely make some of the changes. Follow me to check out my first article on higher order functions and I will be looking forward for some more feedbacks & discussion on the topic.

Anyways, thank you so much for the feedback🙏🏾😊.

Thread Thread

lyqht profile image
Estee Tey

Great! Happy to know that my feedback helped.

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Ooh I would LOVE to read that Solidity article. Sounds fascinating.

Collapse

wolde_ai profile image

That's great to hear! I will share it here when I write about it. Thank you