CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for #CNC2021 "Code More" Mission 3 Submission Thread
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeNewbie Team

Posted on

#CNC2021 "Code More" Mission 3 Submission Thread

Note: If you registered for this challenge but have not received any emails, please check your spam folder!

After completing all the reading in your Mission 3 email, post what plan to do differently in your next coding sessions. What have you learned over the past two missions that might impact how you code in the future? Any changes you plan to make to your project tracker?

Once you've shared your thoughts, find someone else's comment and respond to them! Can you relate to what they are sharing? Any words of encouragement?

Reminder Your weekly assignment does not need to include sharing a link to your worksheet doc or log. That's for your personal use! Instead, please respond to the homework prompt in full.

Congrats on challenging yourself to Code More! If you have any questions about the challenge overall, head to the Code More Help Thread. For any technical questions throughout the challenge (or in general!) write a #help post and share with the community!

Top comments (8)

Collapse

ellativity profile image
Ella (she/her/elle)

That's a healthy attitude to foster! I struggle with hyperfocus, too, and forgetting the time while I'm deep in the hole. How will you ensure you stick to your time? Will you set timers or alarms? Will you set incremental alarms or something like a snooze to warn you that your time is up so you can wrap up enough to know what you're coming back to the next day, or will you do a hard stop?

Collapse

donokun profile image
Donovan

I haven't really found a certain time slot for me tbh lol. The times I'm productive almost comes in these bursts of energy. I work 1PM to 10PM everyday so I try and fit exercise in the morning and coding at night. Having a project I tend to care about does seem to help.

ellativity profile image
Ella (she/her/elle)

Thanks for the update, and nice one for stopping when your timer rang! Was it easier/harder than you expected? I totally feel that about incremental timers (I'm currently training myself not to snooze in the mornings, but it's tough!)

Wishing you the best for tomorrow when you start up again!

If you don't mind updating me with how this works out for you, I remain curious.

lucidinsomniac profile image
Donna Chin

Hi Jason,

I'm with you on finding the discipline to stop when your timer shouts at you to stop haha. It is so hard to get out of the zone when you are finally in focus mode and then it takes forever to get back into it when you get distracted by small trivial tasks.

You got this Jason :).

Collapse

dretoba91 profile image
Dare Oloruntoba

I will stick with my present work sessions. I know I need to task my study/research time more serious than I did last week.

Collapse

aivanvarma profile image
Eero Saarinen

I know this will be hard to achieve, but I try to stop working on my project at 8pm every evening. In the past I have slipped from this, and it has had adverse effects on my motivation the day after, possibly even further. So this one will be the biggest obstacle that I try to tackle.

On the actual programming side of things, there isn't anything to change. It's easy for me to concentrate on what I'm doing and not get sidetracked by emails or social media or anything else. Of course, I can't entirely control if I use more time on reading documentation than coding, but in the end it's still relevant to whatever feature I'm doing at that moment, so it's not wasted time.

Collapse

lucidinsomniac profile image
Donna Chin

I realized there are a lot of unpredictable things that always tend to pop up without notice, especially with last-minute zoom meetings, readjusting to working on-site and reopening at my job, or having time to do necessary things like grocery shopping, making meals, and chores. When my routine gets thrown off like that, I tend to spiral into an unproductive mode because it takes a while to get back into it. However, this is out of my control, and in order to adapt better and be flexible, I am going to try to just pick the top 3 things out of my learning/building list and get those things done. I hope this takes away the anxiety and stress of needing to get things done and puts me into a better mindset of doing less but smarter and opens up more time if something short notice comes up.

Collapse

nehamaity profile image
Neha Maity

I'm coming back to this challenge after a couple years as I've never actually finished it. I've been taking on a new approach to learning. Currently I'm learning JavaScript as it's relevant to my job tasks. I've been utilizing The Odin Project and freeCodeCamp as well as #JavaScript30 by Wes Bos. I've been making sure to balance going through coursework with applying the skills to my own projects.

Outside of work, I want to make a portfolio website that is completely mine, I plan to gain all the skills I need working through these courses and projects.

The two time slots I've primarily been utilizing are the mornings before standup or afternoons usually after lunch. Sometimes I get drawn in that I work until the evening.