CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for #CNC2021 "Code More" Pre-Mission Submission Thread
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeNewbie Team

Posted on

#CNC2021 "Code More" Pre-Mission Submission Thread

After you've completed the pre-mission reading, comment below with your reflections on past coding sessions and future coding plans/goals. Feel free to introduce yourself and follow other participants you see below! Encourage one another and provide help where you think it's necessary.

Congrats on challenging yourself to Code More! If you have any questions about the challenge overall, head to the Code More Help Thread. For any technical questions throughout the challenge (or in general) write a #help post and share with the community!

Latest comments (65)

Collapse

mazonthemoon profile image
Mary Ronan

Hi everyone :)

It's my first time doing a challenge like this so really looking forward to this!

So what makes a good coding session for me?

a) I’ve had a plan of attack on what to do...and stick with it
b) I document my process (let’s me learn from my mistakes and work out what is a good practice for me)
c) I’m prepared so I don’t have to stop once I start...have a water bottle/cuppa, notepad & pencils, headphones and playlist...

What hinders having a good coding session?

a) Don’t try and make up a plan or design as I go...spend some time working out on paper how the project will work out
b) Backups and version control (Thank you git) for the inevitable mistakes and rolling back to an earlier version
c) Minimise distractions - focus only on coding for the session.

My long term goals?
In the next 12 months I would like to build up enough knowledge, projects and confidence to change careers to be a front end developer.

Collapse

mcrawlings profile image
Matthew

I learned a tiny bit of design just so my front-end development didn't look like hot garbage!

Thank you, Chisomo; put a smile on my face :)

Collapse

godzillian profile image
Abhinab Pratap Singh Chauhan

worked- Emergency Projects taught me a lot, I guess I work a lot better under pressure
hasn't worked- taking self monitored courses and going slow.
Long term Goal- Probably getting into FAANG and be a better coder(clean and beautiful code)
Short term Goal- Main reason I'm here is consistency

Collapse

arya45 profile image
Audrey • Edited

Hi everyone :) I am really stoked about this community. It is nice to read about other people different places in the world sharing their journey and supporting one another.

1. What has worked:
Splitting a project in small tasks has worked in the part. I was using Asana to just jot down every single thing I wanted to do and tried to arrange it in some order. Now I use Trello mostly, though not to a level where I am really making the most of it.
Using the coding community with the #100DaysOfCode on Twitter for instance. I was posting about my progress both on Twitter and my Github profile, and it was actually helpful to acknowledge even the smallest actions, like fixing some typos on a website or deciding of the color palette or whatever. Because when it is written black on white, it takes meaning: you did do something today :)
I made one a sort of fan webpage for a singer that I find fantastic, and I think that my own interest fueled my motivation to see the page completed.

2. What has not worked:
I get easily overwhelmed by the amount of different courses, languages, libraries, articles, etc. and it makes me set aside whatever project I am working on and wonder if I should be learning something else, if that's leading me somewhere.
I get excited by a project but can quickly get bored or disinterested again, and have a hard time being disciplined.
Long stretches of time between coding sessions are a problem, because I lose the momentum and the motivation.

3. Long-term goals:
I would love find a job in which I use technology to improve society and people's health and well-being. At the moment the direction I am going towards is data science, but I am also interested in smart cities, behavioral science and UX.

4. Short-term goals:
Create a tech profile for myself online, by feeding my Github with projects related to data analysis, data science, IoT and more.

Collapse

aivanvarma profile image
Eero Saarinen

Hello everyone!

1. What has worked? I'd say that persistence and problem solving. As long as I'm motivated I have no problems going through what ever I'm doing.
  2. Which leads to the not working part, if I ever lose my interest it's extremely hard for me to keep the momentum on. Usually I don't lose my interest out of problems, more likely that I over work my self, take a pause and after that just don't care anymore.
  3. My long term goal is to transition in software development, preferably having a job in the field by the end of this year.
  4. Short term goal is to learn how to pace myself better, so that I don't have to take long breaks and ultimately lose my motivation to go through this journey.
Collapse

lilacreader profile image
Angela

I think I'm a little late to the party on this one but here it goes!

1. What has worked - Working on projects that let me practice new skills incrementally so that I can know that I've actually learned that one part of it before moving on. Finding projects that I'm excited about completing. Having lots of resources on hand that help me understand the concept without actually just giving me the answer.
  2. What hasn't worked -Following along with tutorials and then jumping right into a project. I haven't really learned the skill I just learned to copy the code, so I never really know where to start or how to go with it. Also, picking random projects that I'm not particularly interested in just because they use the skill I think I've learned. It leads to getting frustrated because I don't know where to start, I feel overwhelmed and then I give up.
  3. Long Term Goals - Complete one big(ish) project from scratch using HTML, CSS, and JavaScript (what I'm currently trying to wrap my head around) and 2-3 smaller JavaScript projects to ensure I've really learned the skills.
  4. Short Term Goals - find a way to learn and practice my skills without just watching the video/reading the tutorial and copying the code.
Collapse

laurenlucero profile image
Lauren Lucero

Hello, CodeNewbies,
Through my pre-mission reflect I realized community is highly motivating for me!

A time that I was happy with what I coded was my bootcamp projects.
I worked on them consistently for short periods to complete an MVP. 
I had a network I could reach out to for help.
I had specs to follow and knew what languages/frameworks I had to use.

I am not happy that I have not build a personal site yet. 
I have done small practice projects but have not deployed anything for 9 months.
I get overwhelmed by choosing the right tools and starting.
I don’t have a spec or wireframe to build from.

Long-term, I would like to build a personal site that showcases who I am as a human, software developer and yoga teacher. I would like to feel confident in my skills to get a job so I can get paid to keep learning code and help others learn.

Short-term, I want to create healthy coding and writing about learning habits. I want to code and share on a regular basis. In 5 weeks I should deploy my personal site.

Collapse

kansari profile image
Khalid

Hello all,

It feels good to be part of this community.

What has worked for me in the past are deadlines and structure, as in a paid course. So, you may have guessed that motivation is an issue--mainly because I don't code as part of my day job. Unless I am super motivated, I don't end up coding much in my free time.

As a short-term goal, I hope to build a habit of coding a little every day--even if it's just a few lines. I believe finding a good project I am passionate about will help.

Thank you again.. and all the best!

Collapse

baileymclem profile image
Bailey Clemons • Edited

Hi! I'm happy to be here with all of you! (@^0^@)/

What has worked?
Having a clear plan of what it is I’m working on
Being in a space free from distractions
Finding something that I love about the project

What has not worked?
Working on more than one thing at a time
Getting caught up with “perfect” and not willing to let it be done

Long-term goals:
To get hired as a developer

Short-term goals:
To finish some projects to put up on Github

Collapse

singhsuryansh12 profile image
Suryansh Singh

Hello everyone! Happy to be here.

1. What has worked: Consistency in efforts, Finishing a topic completely before starting others, Being determined to complete the task till the end, Setting deadlines and following them, Prioritising work.

2. Determine what has NOT worked: Working on too many tasks at the same time, Leaving a topic/language/project before completing it.

3. Long-term goals: Being skilled in various different domains (Web Dev, ML), getting a Software Developer Job at a dream company, Building a great product/project from scratch.

4. Short-term goals: Learning enough skills to build a great project/portfolio.

Collapse

blitzparanoia profile image
Irene Saez

Hi All,
I am looking to get motivated to code again. I have had had some whacky schedules and was not able to dedicate myself to coding again. After these 5 weeks I want to have a consistent coding habit again. I am also looking forward to not going through the journey alone.

Collapse

gurkaran321 profile image
Gurkaranpreet Singh

Hi everyone! I came across a challenge on Twitter. I was looking for something to keep me accountable.SO it came to write on my screen. Super excited to start the Code More challenge.

Till Now: 1.Learnt java and python in college.
2. Started with web dev 3 weeks ago.
3. So far I have learnt HTML, CSS and some JS.
I have been pretty consistent except 2 or 3 days when I went out with
My friends. I found out pretty good resources out of which following I liked the most :
1.MDN Documentation
2.Zach’s full stack roadmap series.

1. Tanay Pratap’s Neog Camp. 4.Brad TRaversy Youtube Channel.
  2. FrontendMentor.io 6.Devchallenges.io

I am most unhappy that I take breaks every 45 minutes, that is I am unable to concentrate for more than 45 minutes on the go. I want to sit for long coding hours.I know what I have to do but still, I am unable to do so. No accountability.

Long Term Goal: To become full stack developer JS-based.
I have a goal to use the MERN stack i.e MongoDB, Express.js, React
And Node.js to build full-stack web and mobile apps. To get started with this stack, I know I have to learn 3 basics which are HTML, CSS and Modern Javascript.

Short Term Goal: To master CSS layout using Flexbox and Grid, getting started with Javascript in the next 5 weeks.
I am going to complete this by using 2 very good courses by WesbOS, MDN documentation and then doing challenges from frontend mentors and dec challenges,.io. After that for JS, I will be starting Brad Traversy’s Modern Javascript course on Udemy.
This will prepare me to create a base to start learning the MERN stack, starting with React.

Collapse

mikeoxygen profile image
Michael Adebambo

Hello everyone I'm excited to join this challenge, I'm currently learning front-end development from Nigeria.

1. What has worked

-I go to do stuffs I've never done before( build simple webpages)

• I got to actually see what I could ( you know like from 0 to 1 is really something amazing)

• Yeah I figured out new learning style and great resources.

2. What hasn't worked

• I didn't spend much time like I wanted to and I was really bad at being consistent.
  • I wasn't able to follow my Roadmap so I need to cover up stuffs now.
  • I couldn't utilize the resources I had I was always switch so that wasted my time.

3. Long term goals

• I want to be a skillful front-end developer and UI designer with knowledge of modern practices. -. Create my own Open source project that will IMPACT the community.
  • Get started with Blockchain tech.
  • Code in the workspace I always dreamt of ( currently using a desktop to code )

4. Short term goals

• Create portfolio worthy Javascript projects -Code at least an hour a day
  • Do front-end projects weekly
  • Read books & articles everyday
Collapse

nehamaity profile image
Neha Maity

Hey everyone! I'm excited to participate in this challenge! Here are my responses:

What has worked:

1. Applying skills/material from a tutorial
  2. Setting aside dedicated time to focus and code
  3. Not worrying about perfection

Why those sessions were happy ones:

1. Felt fulfilling to apply material
  2. Could see immediate results
  3. Focused on myself and my own growth

What hasn't worked:

1. Not sticking to a dedicated routine to code
  2. Falling into the trap of constantly completing tutorials
  3. Shying a way from coding when I'm in a team

Why those unhappy things happened:

1. Not motivated enough to stick to coding
  2. Not confident in my abilities to do more coding without tutorials
  3. Afraid of failure and disappointing the team

Long-term goals:

1. Establishing a Github/Portfolio site
  2. Having a habit of coding regularly outside my job
  3. Blogging more on CodeNewbie and Dev about my experiences and projects I'm working on
  4. Be prepared for technical interviews
  5. Be ready to interview for my next role with companies that align with my personal goals and purpose
  6. Have proficiency in Java, C++, Python
  7. Explore front-end: HTML, CSS, JavaScript

Short-term goals:

1. Complete one project
  2. Have a schedule to set aside some time to code outside of work each week
  3. Be confident in my ability to code and continuing to learn more as I go
  4. Blog about my experience with this challenge
Collapse

pachicodes profile image
Pachi Parra

Hello! I am a bit late haha
But just wanted to share a few thoughts:

1. I have been happy with what I coded when I did something that I was comfortable with OR something challenging that worked

2. When things were too out of my comfort zone and I didn't have enough support, it didn't go so well

3. Long-term I want code a bit everyday, and ,maybe be part of an open source project

4. Short-term I want to feel more confident coding

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

You're not late at all! #CNC2021 is a rolling event so folks can join whenever :)

Welcome!!!

Some comments may only be visible to logged-in visitors. Sign in to view all comments.