CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for #CNC2021 "Get a Job" Help Thread
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeNewbie Team

Posted on • Updated on

#CNC2021 "Get a Job" Help Thread

This is your place to ask general challenge-related questions about the "Get a Job" track of the 2021 CodeNewbie Challenge.

Leave your questions below as a comment and our organizers will get back to you ASAP πŸ’š

Reminder: All of the assignments for each mission are sent out via email when you sign up for a challenge. Remember to check your spam folder if you didn't receive your first mission β€” and please add hey@codenewbie.org to your contacts list!

What this thread is for...

• General questions about the challenge overall (i.e. "How long is this challenge?")
  • Mission-specific questions (i.e. "I find Mission [X] confusing because XYZ. Can you help?")
  • Helping one another out. If you know the answer to something someone else is asking, feel free to answer them!

This thread is not for technical questions about coding. For those, you'll want to create a post and include the #help tag. Here is a template for your help posts to guide you further :)

Please stay on topic and respectful of one another πŸ’š

Top comments (6)

Collapse

mccurcio profile image
Matt C

Two questions;
A. re: the list of 3 companies that we like... Would it have been helpful to add a little bit on why it is was a "good" company?

1. re: Pre-Mission Submission Thread; Is it ok to give constructive criticism on the 4 questions that the participants left? Is that the takeaway?
Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Hi Matt! Thanks for your questions :)

For the list of three "favorite" companies, it's helpful to follow the instructions listed in step 1 of the Mission 1 pt. I email to come up with your own personal scoring system. Here are the key elements to pay attention to, as described in the email.

"How big is the company? How big is the tech team? The big tech companies are obvious choices, but there are pros and cons to different sizes. [...]"

What kind of business is it? There are, of course, large tech companies and fast-growing startups, but also consider consulting firms and agencies, small companies, late-stage startups that might have more stability, benefits, and money. [...]"

Where are these companies? Are you focusing on local companies, or are you willing to relocate for the right job? If you’re willing to move, are you thinking big city, small town, or something in the middle? What kind of tech community do different locations have? [...]"

"What role does tech play at this company? [...]"

etc. Let me know if you have any questions or need clarification

When it comes to leaving constructive criticism please do! Just be sure to keep things friendly :)

Collapse

mccurcio profile image
Matt C

Hi Gracie,
Email? Maybe I missed something but I did not get an email to my Gmail act, for example.

If I could make another observation. I am finding it a little difficult to follow the 'missions' step by step. Could I suggest links be placed in the posts (both forward and backward) to the other parts of the mission.

Thread Thread

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Hi Matt. Yes! You should have gotten an email. I'll look into this. The challenge instructions will all be delivered to your inbox so, without it, these threads won't make much sense!

Thread Thread

mccurcio profile image
Matt C

I found the email in the spam. I have noticed that others have had the same puzzled questions. May I suggest that a "reminder" be sent out to check their spam boxes, etc. ;)
Hiccup ;)

Thread Thread

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Done! We've updated each help thread with this note. Thanks for the suggestion :)