CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for #CNC2021 "Get a Job" Mission 2 [pt. I] Submission Thread
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeNewbie Team

Posted on

#CNC2021 "Get a Job" Mission 2 [pt. I] Submission Thread

1. After completing all the reading and making profiles on any/all of the professional sites listed, share links to your professional profiles in the thread below.

2. Look at someone else's profile(s) posted in this thread and provide some feedback. What stands out to you? What do you like about it? What might youΒ wordΒ differently? Be kind but specific.

Feel free to connect with other participants in the thread below! If you follow one another, you can DM 😊

Mission 2 [pt. I] β€” done!

Congrats on challenging yourself to Get a Job! If you have any questions about the challenge overall, head to the Get a Job Help Thread. For any technical questions throughout the challenge (or in general!) write a #help post and share with the community!

Top comments (35)

Collapse

yuridevat profile image
π•π•¦π•π•šπ•’ πŸ‘©πŸ»β€πŸ’»

My Linkedin profile: linkedin.com/in/juliaundeutsch/
My github profile: github.com/YuriDevAT

:)

Collapse

mccurcio profile image
Matt C • Edited

Hey J,
I liked the second paragraph regarding the smart shopping app and the App, Very Sharp.

One comment: I felt I had to dig around to find the working app. May I suggest you emphasize the app with bold, larger font and/or place it higher in your description. I liked the app I just wanted to see it easily.

Hope that is helpful. ;)

Collapse

yuridevat profile image

Thank you! You are totally right. I have to suggest this to my group, which I was going to do next week. I know, the readme for the shopping app is not good enough now. But I am already working on a PR for this :)

Collapse

kellencarl profile image
Kellen Carl

Your Github is superb! Also, love the musicology background. I have a Bachelor's in music. Not much better than good music.

Collapse

yuridevat profile image

You are so right :) Thank you!

Collapse

uzor profile image
Uzor

Love your GitHub profile, do you mind if I use it as a guide to creating mine?

Collapse

yuridevat profile image

Please, go ahead :)

Thread Thread

uzor profile image
Uzor

Done. Thanks

Collapse

joks84 profile image
Jelena

Love your profiles, especially LinkedIn!

Collapse

uzor profile image
Uzor • Edited

Linkedin: linkedin.com/in/uzochukwuprecious
Github: github.com/uzor13

Collapse

yuridevat profile image

I like both, your GitHub and your LinkedIn profile. You could use your web stack in your LinkedIn header too :) Like: Frontend Developer | JavaScript | React ... Your about me seems really strong! :)

Collapse

ellativity profile image
Ella (she/her/elle)

@uzor is this you? the /in was missing from the link

Collapse

uzor profile image
Uzor

Yeah, thanks. Correcting that now

Collapse

kellencarl profile image
Kellen Carl

Love the Arctic Code Vault Contributor badge!

Collapse

uzor profile image
Uzor

Thanks.

Collapse

iyanushow profile image
iyanushow
Collapse

mccurcio profile image
Matt C

Hi I,
I thought both Github and Linedin were professional looking. Good job.
May I suggest one change to your Linkedin account. The simple abstract pattern behind your photo could be Splashier. I felt more color could be positive.
@kristenpalana has a nice piece on color.
quick-easy-color-secrets
Just my 2 cents ;)

Collapse

iyanushow profile image
iyanushow

thank you, I appreciate the contribution. Didn’t really do anything with that, it’s a LinkedIn default but I’ll look into making it more attractive maybe a css build background

Collapse

iyanushow profile image
iyanushow

thank you πŸ˜‚
appreciate the contribution.
Didn’t really do anything with that, it’s a LinkedIn default but I’ll look into making it more attractive maybe a css build background

Collapse

yuridevat profile image

Hi Iyanu,

you have a really cool portfolio website :)

Collapse

iyanushow profile image
iyanushow

thank you😊,
Looking to improve on it if I can find enough projects to build

Collapse

mccurcio profile image
Matt C

Hi All,
I have been Re-working my profile. I have put an emphasis on making it easier to reach. Does my GitHub page allow access to docs/code well?

I am working on Linkedin too but that is later. ;)

Collapse

ellativity profile image
Ella (she/her/elle)

I'm currently working on a Python Django project for native versus invasive plants

I'd love to plant-nerd out over this when you're done/ready to share! 🌱

Collapse

yuridevat profile image

Hey Matt! I got your email, but it seems you already figured it out :) Nice profile!

Collapse

kellencarl profile image
Kellen Carl
Collapse

yuridevat profile image
π•π•¦π•π•šπ•’ πŸ‘©πŸ»β€πŸ’» • Edited

Hi Kellen :)

You could pimp your GitHub profile with the special readme repo :)
Also, you could add your web stack to your header on LinkedIn like Web Developer | PHP | JavaScript ... like this.
Your about me section does not tell so much about you. The CodeNewbie email did add some great links how to pimp that up a bit :D

Collapse

kellencarl profile image
Kellen Carl

Thanks for the feedback! I will do my best at implementing these!

Collapse

mccurcio profile image
Matt C

Hey Kellen,
Saw yr profiles, Nice.
We have two things in common, I lived in TX and SF. haha.
Both, Great Places

Collapse

mccurcio profile image
Matt C

Right people!

I would like to get your thoughts on headshots or icons.

I have noticed that some peeps have very nice headshots with nice toothy smiles, lol. Others have icons, drawings, or nothing at all.

I realize my different accounts have different pics. Codenewbie/Linkedin have a small headshot, my Github has a eye-ball, and even others have a picture of art I like. If we look at Linkedin acts. too many pics are very formal.

My tendency is to want to see a little bit of "face" to gauge their level of professionalism. But I don't practice what I preach. At times, I feel self-conscience while others have gender or even ethnicity issues. I get it. People want to show their individuality and that's cool.

What do Y'ALL think?

Collapse

adiatiayu profile image
Ayu Adiati

I think do whatever makes you comfortable. Either your own picture, or an avatar of yourself, or your logo. But better put something out there rather than nothing. Most people won't take you seriously or doubting who you really are if you don't have any picture.

Before my current profile pic, I had an avatar, except for LinkedIn. Because in my opinion, LinkedIn is more professional. It's like I'm having my 'online resume' out there.

And when you've chosen what to have, it would be good to have the same picture all over your online platform so people can recognize you right away :)

Collapse

mccurcio profile image
Matt C

As much as I dislike it I think some form of head-shot is the best all around. I do think that you comments on branding are important too. Which in mind means consistency.
Thanks Ayu ;)

Thread Thread

adiatiayu profile image
Ayu Adiati

You're welcome, Matt ;)

Collapse

thomasgilmore95 profile image
Thomas Gilmore
Collapse

joks84 profile image
Jelena
Collapse