CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for [#CNC2022 "Code More" Cohort 1] Tell us about your coding work session!
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeNewbie Team

Posted on

[#CNC2022 "Code More" Cohort 1] Tell us about your coding work session!

This thread is for participants in Cohort 1 of #CNC2022's "Code More" Challenge.

Mission 2 Discussion Thread

After you've completed the reading and exercises in your Mission 2 email (to be sent on Monday, February 7), respond to the following prompts related to the work you've done...

1. Tell us about how your first work session for this mission went. What did you accomplish and learn?
2. Share a screenshot or photo of your planning board/calendar/journal

Scan through the comments after you've posted your own and interact with 1-2 other people. Don't forget to follow these people on CodeNewbie Community if you aren't already! 

Congrats on challenging yourself to Code More! If you have any questions about the challenge overall, head to the Code More Help Thread. For any technical questions throughout the challenge (or in general) write a #help post on CodeNewbie Community or DEV and share with the community!

Top comments (13)

Collapse

georgeanderson profile image
George Guimarães

I'm on vacation this week and away from a computer so won't be able to start this until next week. I'm going to start with the following weekly goal: solve one code challenge. I'm enrolled in 3 or 4 different platforms and my goal is to create more discipline around solving problems from each of them. This is my commitment for mission 2 of the code more challenge.

Collapse

cyndichin profile image
cyndichin • Edited

Hi everyone, here are my responses!

1. Tell us about how your first work session for this mission went. What did you accomplish and learn?
With the hype of Wordle, I decided to make a clone of the game using iOS and SwiftUI. I learned a lot about using SwiftUI to create the UI elements and how to take in the user's input from the keyboard. The next steps are to understand how to implement the logic into the game.

First time using the Project functionality in Github. Hope to refine it as it seems promising so far!

Collapse

adrianskar profile image
Adrian Skar

Hi everyone!
In my first session1 I learned about studying techniques and practiced some CSS and JS. I was already using Clickup for work and personal projects so I used it to plan/setup Mission 2 within my own:
gantt chart
task list

1. I call it a session but it hasn't been a big chunk of time but several 'mini-sessions' (work and other responsibilities). 

Collapse

anavela profile image
Ana Vela

I've never used Clickup before, but it looks helpful. Keep up the good, steady work!

Collapse

adrianskar profile image
Adrian Skar

Thank you!

Collapse

mark_rightofzero profile image
Mark King

Hello all!
Here are my response to this mission:

During my work session I continued working on a Django project I started last week (see my planning board in #2 for accomplishments). I found the app Clockify to help me track the time I spend on each task; however, plan to use it in the next mission. You get a lot for this to be a free tool.

Also, I learned how important it is to use virtual environments for each project to make sure I am using the intended version for the specific dependency.

I used Trello for my planning board

Have a great weekend!

Collapse

ronvillela profile image
Ron • Edited

I must say this weeks session went well. I have been working on a consistent schedule for quite some time now and this weeks homework helped me narrow down objectives. Although you make think writing things down will not help, you will be surprised how much insight you gain.

The homework helped me get more specific with my goals. Whereas before I was randomly working on problems, I am now focusing on specific objectives. This week I have been working on Java Collections. I learned how:

"given a number M - find N! > M where N is a factorial of M"
Enter fullscreen mode Exit fullscreen mode

The problem was driving me crazy. I made it work for one test case but could not make it work for all test cases. On the positive side, I was only missing one item to make it work for all test cases.

Also, Java is not only teaching me about actual programming but it is also teaching something about myself. I need work on attention to detail and I am very persistent. I will not stop working until I solve the problem.

I am using Notion to organize my programming schedule trying to keep a narrow focus. It is work in progress.

Collapse

anavela profile image
Ana Vela

Awesome progress, Ron!

Collapse

kc profile image
K C • Edited

Hi all, I'm a bit behind posting this even though I have created schedule which I have so far followed okay.

For the first week I had four sets of tasks which I managed to complete.
Three were coding tasks for my portfolio site and one was a JS learning task.

Having short targets that I can aim for and complete makes it easier to get things done. I can see what I have accomplished and that gives me motivation to move onto the next one.

I started using GitHub Projects for the first time to track/schedule task.
Screenshot of Task List

Collapse

anavela profile image
Ana Vela

I've been meaning to use GitHub Projects for a while now. It's cool to see it in action. Best wishes, KC!

Collapse

lesleynicole profile image
Lesley-Nicole

Here I was trying to finish a simple project I started a while back, but was unable to at this time. I used 'Tweek Calendar'. Its very simple and its also a task planner app.

screenshot

Collapse

anavela profile image
Ana Vela

The good news is that I have been working on a coding project regularly since I stared the challenge. I've been able to complete longer sessions over the weekend which is what I've been wanting to do for a while. I haven't been as good about answering the homework questions other than making a few notes for a simple roadmap. I'm glad to see others working on this and sharing their schedules. Keep going!

Collapse

yuhcee profile image
Uchenna Egbo • Edited
  1. Tell us about how your first work session for this mission went. What did you accomplish and learn? I observed that I just need to start to love what I am doing and not the other way round. I actually realised that I enjoy coding but the courage to dive in has always been the real struggle here. When I eventually get into it, everyhting else falls away and I suddenly realise that I actually love doing it.

I designed my task list to code at a time in the morning when my activity and productivity level is high. It has been a wonderful discovery.

I struggled a bit with what I am working on, took a brief break, got back to it and eventaully figured it out. I felt happy knowing that my perservarance paid off and that I didn't run away like before.

1. Share a screenshot or photo of your planning board/calendar/journal