CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for [#CNC2022 Cohort 1 "Learn in Public"] How did your first series installment go?
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeNewbie Team

Posted on

[#CNC2022 Cohort 1 "Learn in Public"] How did your first series installment go?

This thread is for participants in Cohort 1 of #CNC2022's "Learn in Public" Challenge.

Mission 2 Thread

After you've completed the reading and exercises in your Mission 2 email, respond to the following prompts related to the work you've done...

1. What was the experience of creating your first "Learn in Public" series installment like?
2. Do you think you'll be able to cover everything you were hoping to explore in three installments, or do you plan on creating more?
3. How did your "Learn in Public" notes differ from standard learning/studying notes you've taken in the past?
4. How do you feel about the prep work you were asked to do for Mission 2? Do you think you'll be able to stick to the schedule you made?

Just like last week, scan through the comments after you've posted your own and interact with 1-2 other people. Feel free to leave motivating advice or pointers if you are familiar with the topic they chose to focus on. Don't forget to follow these people on CodeNewbie Community! 

Congrats on challenging yourself to Learn in Public! If you have any questions about the challenge overall, head to the Learn in Public Help Thread. For any technical questions throughout the challenge (or in general) write a #help post on CodeNewbie Community or DEV and share with the community!

Top comments (17)

Collapse

theoriginalbpc profile image
Sarah Dye
  1. It has been feeling rather messy and unorganized. A lot of the things I was planning on doing I didn't get to so I'll be trying to get those items done in the next work session. I felt rather anxious during this first installment since I was overthinking certain steps and that threw me off my timeline. So for my future sessions I am going to do my best to keep things simple and get the basic things working before I think about any other details.
  2. Right now I don't think I'll be able to get everything I want accomplished in 3 installments. So I will end up creating more after the challenge ends.
  3. I was writing a lot more code than I usually do when I wrote notes in the past. As I was writing notes, I was making sure to jot down the examples to revisit them later.
  4. There's definitely a lot of prep work that is going into the topic I picked. I think I'm doing myself a favor by just creating a basic quiz app, however my issue will be coming down to time as well as the prep work to having a YouTube channel. I've never made and edited a video before so a lot of my prep work is just learning how to do those things before I can push out any installments. So I don't think it is going to be easy for me to stick to the schedule I created but this first session has given me a good idea of what I can try so I get back on track.
Collapse

khloeabrown profile image
Khloe Brown

It's cool to see you're going to do the video route! I will have to look out for your posts. 😀

I agree that this challenge has a lot of work and inner-work (then some more!) within it. If I could do any assistance with organization or sorting, I would love to help! I could share the outline/planning I have for my challenge if it would help you at all. I posted my outline planning (aka a messy idea board of sorts) in my post in this thread!

Best Wishes for the next mission to both of us!

Collapse

Sarah Dye

Oh yes this challenge has a lot of work so it is hard to stay organized and stick to a schedule. It is definitely tougher for me since I am a big overthinker so I second guess myself a lot. But looking at the way your planning and writing outlining your installments has definitely helped so I have a better idea of how to approach the planning for my installments.

Collapse

nehamaity profile image
Neha Maity

I definitely relate on feeling messy and unorganized. I had to take a big step back after learning to put the article content together. It took much longer than I anticipated. Good luck on this challenge, I am rooting for you!

Collapse

Sarah Dye

Thank you!

Collapse

nirbhayparmar profile image
Nirbhay Parmar

Oh YouTube video is a lot more tedious task then writing a blog post so all the best for your channel 😊.

Collapse

Sarah Dye

Thank you!

Collapse

adiatiayu profile image
Ayu Adiati

1. What was the experience of creating your first "Learn in Public" series installment like?
I was so all over the place! 😅
So far, I'm definetely more of a spontanious person in creating an article. So I need to learn more in creating series installment.

Originally I was planning to do a series in React by documenting concepts that I encounter during learning, but along the process, I bumped into some git issues.
So, I'm pivoting in creating git articles instead as part of learning in public 😆

2. Do you think you'll be able to cover everything you were hoping to explore in three installments, or do you plan on creating more?
I think I can cover things in three installments. But I will see as it goes.

3. How did your "Learn in Public" notes differ from standard learning/studying notes you've taken in the past?
This won't be much differ than my notes in the past. I always take notes for whatever I encounter. New concepts, errors that I got, solutions, resources, etc. And all my notes are handwritten 😁

4. How do you feel about the prep work you were asked to do for Mission 2? Do you think you'll be able to stick to the schedule you made?
I don't think so. First of all, I'm so far behind 😅
Second of all, I can pivot easily. Taking the pivoting route from React to git as an example 🙈
But I will still keep trying to do the challenges' excercises even after the challenge ends.

Collapse

nehamaity profile image
Neha Maity

I feel pretty all over the place too! I ended up focusing on learning so much that I realized I have more than enough content for two articles and had to take a step back to put the first article together. I'm a bit behind as well. Best of luck to you!

Collapse

Sarah Dye

You aren't alone. I'm definitely far behind and am all over the place with my challenge. What git articles are you planning on writing?

Collapse

adiatiayu profile image
Ayu Adiati

I already wrote the first one 😄
It will be more like short tutorials on how to work with git in open-source flow, and in collaboration 😊

For now, I'm thinking like 3 short articles (2 articles more).

How about you?

Thread Thread

Sarah Dye

It is going rather slowly. I'm still working on the first installment as well as learning everything I need to start making videos. So I've been using mission 2 to reevaluate my timeline and project to see what I could change to make things easier to get goals accomplished.

Collapse

khloeabrown profile image
Khloe Brown

Hello, Hello 👋

I hope everyone is doing well during their CNC2022 challenges. It's some of the hardest fun I've had in a long time!

It was a lot of information to take in and sort! It didn't help that I chose a broad topic. 😅

If it was a hard requirement for the series to be only three installments, then yes I can do so.

My series, including an introduction and a conclusion, is 5 installments in total. I guess the main content of my series is three parts, so does that count? 🤔

I wanted to space out the important bits of productivity so each installment would be shorter but full of specific information. I see this topic as important and helpful for a larger audience so if I could provide the best parts in a 5-part series, then I will do so.

My-Work-Outline-in-Notion
    My outline for Mission 2 in Notion

My notes are all digital! Thanks to Notion I have a great space to write "blocks" of information, lists, details and ideas then move them wherever I want. It's so nice to have an "messy but organized" workspace for a more difficult challenge like "Learn in Public".

So far, I'm a bit behind. I let too much outside distractions and responsibilities that got in the way and I wasn't able to put a lot of work in. I have edited my previous schedule to do shorter sessions more frequently. That way I have time for other responsibilities but can still crank out work for this challenge.

Collapse

Sarah Dye

Your outline is awesome! I've never used Notion before, but I'll have to play around with it sometime. I think the way you described your installments counts as the three installments, but if you need to have 5 installments instead of 3 then you should do that.

Collapse

garystroupdeveloper profile image
Gary Stroup

Hello All,

I've decided to restructure my series into responsive web design. This week I talked about CSS Flexbox. Next up will be CSS grid. Then I will go into tips and tricks after that. Eventually I would like to make videos, but I decided to do writing instead. For this, I am using the Medium platform for these articles. I am also tweeting the links as well. Here is the link to the article
medium.com/@stroup.uxuidesign/resp...

Collapse

nehamaity profile image
Neha Maity • Edited

Hi everyone, my name is Neha and my article series is on conducting basic data analysis in Python using Jupyter Notebook.

It definitely took more time to put together than I originally anticipated. The execution of the code I wanted to cover wasn't tough but what proved to be challenging was going back and putting together the tutorial in a way that was clear and understandable and making sure I wasn't skipping any important steps.

I think I will be able to cover enough ground in three installments. There is of course a lot more in the realm of data analysis in Python but a three part series will provide a sufficient introduction.

I was able to note down all I learned by executing the code in the Jupyter Notebook as I went along. I found this to be a very interactive way of learning as I go.

I feel pretty good and that I've gotten a good wealth of information together. Now it's a matter of separating all that I've learned into digestible articles. I personally am not sticking to a schedule but I do have the deadline of March 10th for getting all the articles done.

Closing Thoughts
This is the first tutorial I have written. It was much more work than I anticipated and now I feel I'm able to appreciate all the tutorial posts out there much more. I look forward to continuing to finish this series and publishing more tutorials afterwards!

Collapse

nirbhayparmar profile image
Nirbhay Parmar

• It is different from regular technical blogging which I am doing on dev.to . This feels like exploring the way you are learning and sharing that process with others, so they can learn from my mistakes too. It is also a lot more intimidating than regular one. But this is my first learn in public post so I will improve in my later posts.

• I am not sure I will be able to cover everything that I want to explore in just three installments so I am planning to write more posts then it.

• In past I did not make notes but now I understand the need of note taking while learning to keep track of what you are learning and it also helps in sharing your notes as a resource others can use.

• The truth is, I haven't prepared any schedule about when and how am I going to share my first installment and also my university exams also there so I am somewhat in a hectic schedule last week. Hopefully, now I am a little bit free so that I can continue this challenge.