CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for [#CNC2022 "Code More" Cohort 1] Why do you want to code more?
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeNewbie Team

Posted on

[#CNC2022 "Code More" Cohort 1] Why do you want to code more?

This thread is for participants in Cohort 1 of #CNC2022's "Code More" Challenge.

Mission 1 Discussion Thread

After you've completed the reading and exercises in your Mission 1 email, respond to the following prompts related to the work you've done...

**1. Why do you want to code more
**2. How will you know when you've reached your goal?
**3. (Optional) What were some of the assumptions about reaching your goal that you identified?

Scan through the comments after you've posted your own and interact with 1-2 other people. Don't forget to follow these people on CodeNewbie Community if you aren't already!Β 
Β 

Congrats on challenging yourself to Code More! If you have any questions about the challenge overall, head to the Code More Help Thread. For any technical questions throughout the challenge (or in general) write a #help post on CodeNewbie Community or DEV and share with the community!

Top comments (89)

Collapse

ronvillela profile image
Ron • Edited

I want to eventually have sufficient knowledge to create something. I want to be able to take an assessment at a job interview and do well. I also want to have the confidence to do this.

Although I am from the belief that learning is a lifelong journey that never ends, I will feel more confident in my goal achievement once I have completed:

1. Intermediate Java (FIU)
  2. CodgGym course
  3. Udemy course
  4. JetBrains Academy

I have three assumptions I've identified:

1. Time
  2. Progress
  3. Motivation

The only reason time is a concern is because I'm turning 51 this year and just feel like I don't have time to waste. I'm assuming I will make progress and stay motivated although I have days when I feel I am not making progress and lose motivation. The reason for this: not being able to solve similar types of problems.

Collapse

kc profile image
K C

All the best Ron.

Collapse

almostdevelopr profile image
almostdevelopr

All the best, Ron!

Collapse

lesleynicole profile image
Lesley-Nicole

I hear you. I'm about to turn 39. When I have days where my code is just not working, I try to code something else that's more fun. That way I never lose motivation.

Collapse

georgeanderson profile image
George GuimarΓ£es

It's inspiring to see your motivation at this stage of life, Ron. I wish you the best of success in your journey.

Collapse

adrianskar profile image
Adrian Skar

Time is the only thing we'll never have more of. Keep it up!

Collapse

rohit1101 profile image
rohit1101

Good luck, Ron you are going to kill the job interviews!

Collapse

anncyber profile image
ann-cyber

I want to code more because:
I want to get a job in this industry and figure out if it is for me. also solve my personal problems as well as the struggles of others. helping other people is my value, as well as creativity and curiosity.

I know I’ll have reached my β€œcode more” goal when:
I know how github and git work, I have a routine and solved 3 problems this week. Also completing code newbie things when they arrive.

My top three assumptions for reaching my goal are:
i will not give up
i will not get derailed by other goals
i will not hyperfocus on something else (like knitting, i looked at yarn so much today it is insane)

Collapse

azura_dios profile image
Azura Dios

Hi ann,
Your goals and assumptions are very similar to mine. I was hoping that you can be my accountability buddy. Since I have the same problems as yours so we can help each other out.

If you think that can help you. Please folow me and DM me

Collapse

anncyber profile image
ann-cyber

send you a dm on your website! not sure this site has dms lol

Collapse

johngidoe profile image
Piotr Grzybowski

Hi Ann,
Knitting or coding hard choice :)
If you like to play a game and learn git branching at the same time I recommend Oh My Git! Github is quite straight so you should get it easily. Don't give up. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. All the best

Collapse

bredmond1019 profile image
Brandon Redmond

Hey Ann,

I also love to help people! I used to be a teacher and it was the most rewarding experience. Unfortunately, teachers are under valued and I am here to continue my efforts to help people, while also being able to help myself live comfortable and a fulfilling life.

all the best!

Collapse

agelviscarlos profile image
Carlos-Rainbow coding πŸ‘¨β€πŸ’» 🌈

Another yarn lover! Let's make our hands created also virtually and not only physically, we can do this!

Collapse

gabby_codes profile image
Gabby

Hi Ann, I watched a video on Github/Git the other day which I'd recommend - at least I found it a very useful intro anyway :) youtube.com/watch?v=RGOj5yH7evk

Collapse

adwoa profile image
Adwoa

Why do I want to code more?
I want to code more because I know it will help me to become consistent and eventually develop a habit of coding.
It will help me to develop my skills and get better at coding.
It will help me get a job

How will I know when I’ve reached you goal?
I know i’ll have reached my β€œcode more” goal when:
I become consistent with coding
When I code everyday
When I finish my app

My assumptions for reaching my goal are:
I am committed to taking positive actions everyday(code everyday) to influence my results and reach my goal
I am committed to dedicating more time to reach this goal
I will be more disciplined

Collapse

anni profile image
Anietie Brownson

I wish you luck on your goals. You're from Ghana right?

Collapse

adwoa profile image
Adwoa

Thank you. Yes I am.

Collapse

mark_rightofzero profile image
Mark King

Hello Adwoa. After completing the 100 days of code, I know coding everyday is possible. I wish you the best on your journey.

Collapse

adwoa profile image
Adwoa

Thanks Mark

Collapse

johngidoe profile image
Piotr Grzybowski

Hi,
1. Why do you want to code more
I am in the middle of changing my career path to JS developer. I had to stop coding for a while because of my son's birth but now I am trying to get back on track.
2. How will you know when you've reached your goal?
When I will have a habit to code 6 days a week. Also when I add some projects to my portfolio.
3. (Optional) What were some of the assumptions about reaching your goal that you identified?
Time management. I work full time and have 10 months child. My wife is at home still but there is plenty to do every day. Discipline will be a key to overwhelm that.

Collapse

Brandon Redmond

Hi Piotr,

Sounds like you have quite a lot on your plate! We're expecting a child this year and I'm hoping to keep motivated after the child arrives.

you got this! One day at a time :)

Collapse

johngidoe profile image
Piotr Grzybowski

Hi Brandon,
Child changes everything but I wouldn't take it back. The worst is when you have to choose between playing with your son and coding. Few months old child can be very persuasive πŸ™‚
Tkanks for the support and good luck to you too. Child means more on your head but also more joy every day
I believe we will be successful. Like you said one day at a time. I learned that consistency is the key and motivation is just an addition to it.

Thread Thread

Brandon Redmond

I couldn't agree more. It's all about showing up each day, whether its a couple hours, or just 20 minutes.

So glad to hear about the your son. I'm very much looking forward to being a dad :) At the end of the day, what's more important than family?

Thread Thread

johngidoe profile image
Piotr Grzybowski

I agree family is before everything else. Congratulations to you. The moment you become a dad is incomparable to anything else. I keep my fingers crossed for you :)

Collapse

kc profile image
K C • Edited
  1. I want to code more because:

• I would like to get a job as front-end web designer and developer.
  2. I know I’ll have reached my β€œcode more” goal when:

• Completed the Wes Bos Javascript course.
    • Completed Portfolio site.
    • Completed three projects that showcase my ability with HTML/CSS/JS.
  3. My top three assumptions for reaching my goal are:

• Having the discipline to code consistently.
    • Overcoming challenging parts.
    • Maintaining the motivation.
Collapse

Brandon Redmond

Hey KC,

Again, same page! How far along are you on your JS journey? Have you looked into any frontend frameworks like React/Angular? I've been using React and it makes front end development much more efficient and intuitive -- I definitely recommend looking into it. It's all JS based.

Collapse

kc profile image
K C

Hi again,
I did a bootcamp where I was exposed to all aspects of full stack development.
So a part of the syllabus was learning React which I thought was simply great to be honest. I loved how it approached web development e.g. modules/components, particularly with regards to developing larger applications/sites.
The issue I had/have is that I struggled to absorb a lot of the learning along the way, in particular JS. Working with data and fetching data via APIs comes to mind right now where the wheels started to come off for me.

Thread Thread

johngidoe profile image
Piotr Grzybowski

Hi KC,
I suggest learning Vanilla Js first before React/Angular or Vue. I'm saying from my point of view and after a few failures on interviews. You should get all the weird parts of JS otherwise you will struggle with frameworks. I keep my fingers crossed for maintaining your motivation but recently I realized that in my case consistency is the key and motivation is just an addition.

Thread Thread

Brandon Redmond

I definitely agree with this. You should learn the ins and outs of JS before moving onto a framework.

There's a Udemy Course I took with the Instructor Colte Steele, The Web Developer Bootcamp. He does a really great job of explaining JS. You don't have to do the whole course, but the JS section was great, and he's funny. Udemy courses are pretty cheap and I think a great value.

Other than that, just trying to do some coding challenges will really help.

udemy.com/course/the-web-developer...

Thread Thread

kc profile image
K C

Thanks both for the advice.

Yeah I'm refocused on JS and I'm working through Wes Bos's JS course at the moment. Also attempting Frontend Mentor Challenges.

Collapse

crumbhustler profile image
crumbhustler

KC couldn't agree with you more on the maintaining motivation part. That'll be my biggest hurdle, but I'm feeling confident right now! Godspeed man.

Collapse

kc profile image
K C

Thanks very much! Likewise feeling confident now - just need to be able to pick ourselves up when the confidence wanes!
Same to you - all the best!

Collapse

aaron profile image
Aaron McCollum

Why do I want to code more? I need the practice and discipline, basically making it a habit. I want to do a bootcamp once I return to the US, so I want to code more now to put myself in the best position possible.

How will I know when I meet this goal? When I finish out this cohort and all the activities. I don't want to drop it like I did last time. Subjectively, I'll know I hit the goal once I have a better habit and healthier relationship with coding and the learning process.

What are some of the assumptions for reaching my goal? I assume I will need to do more chores in the afternoon so I can code at night while balancing family duties.

I look forward to meeting others in this cohort!

Collapse

ronvillela profile image
Ron

I feel you. I dropped it last time as well. I feel like so long as you keep getting up and moving forward you will be good. Trying to stick through this time as well. I had to look at my day and after deducting sleeping and daily chores(taking kids to schools etc) I realized how much time I had left and separated a block of time for coding.

Collapse

aaron profile image
Aaron McCollum

That’s an awesome strategy. I will do the same. I already have an idea of when that can be but would like to formalize it a bit more.

Collapse

Brandon Redmond

Hey Aaron,

I tend to drop it as well. I go through spurts of coding every day for a couple months, then I lose it for another month or so. Rinse and repeat.

Let's keep each other motivated and on task!

Collapse

crumbhustler profile image
crumbhustler

I want to code more to become a literate full stack web developer and land a career in tech. I will know I've reached that goal when I, you guessed it, land a career in tech! So some of the assumptions are having enough time and putting in enough effort to get through it. Really for me it comes down to just pushing myself and not putting it off. I actually do enjoy coding but I get hard on myself when I struggle understand a concept or implement it into code. I am excited to see how everyone progresses.

Collapse

kc profile image
K C

This bit is so me! πŸ˜„

I actually do enjoy coding but I get hard on myself when I struggle understand a concept or implement it into code.

I'm glad it not just me who feels that way!
Guess we just need to learn to go-easy on ourselves.

Collapse

codeandbees profile image
dorothy joy

Third this! It's hard to progress when the self-talk gets so negative just because I get stuck on a lesson and can't seem to connect the dots as quickly as I'd like. I blame my inner perfectionist, who developed very early on when it was reinforced a lot that I was "smarter" than other kids my age just because I sometimes caught on to concepts faster - all that really led to was never really learning how to Learn when it didn't come easy. But now I'm doing a lot of inner work and trying to treat myself with compassion and take a gentler approach. It's easier to get back up after "falling" away from coding if I'm not beating myself into the ground about it.

Thread Thread

johngidoe profile image
Piotr Grzybowski

Hi Dorothy,
Inner perfectionist oh yeah I've been there and done that or maybe I still am :) Perfectionism is tiring. Failures are inevitable and natural. It's just something that happens to everyone. More important is what you do after them. I learned to think that every time I fail I am closer to success.
I wish you to find your way and fulfill your goals. And you're right we have to be gentle to ourselves. I am trying to think first what would I say to someone stranger if he fails at something and after that, I am asking myself why do I want to say something worse to myself.

Collapse

johngidoe profile image
Piotr Grzybowski

I agree. If you fail then fail forward. Every failure is a step to success. Baby steps and eyes on the goal.

Collapse

supermari0s profile image
Marios
  1. I want to code more because:
    I want to finally start working on my personal projects !

2. I know I’ll have reached my β€œcode more” goal when:
    I've at least started and progressed one of my personal projects…

3. My top three assumptions for reaching my goal are:
    β€’ I'll get some time to code
    β€’ I'll get the necessary peace of mind and space to work
    β€’ I'll stop making excuses :)

Collapse

Brandon Redmond

Hey all,

I want to code more because I love learning and being creative, so for me, software development really encompasses all of that. I would love to be able to turn this into a means of income.

To make my goals quantifiable, I can say that success to me looks like completing my personal site, having three projects I can post on my site, and having written 3 blog articles to have posted on my site. I would say that currently, I am about 1/3 of the way there.

My assumptions are that I have the discipline to stay motivated and persevere. I have the skills in place to ensure I learn what is necessary to reach my goals. And that I can complete them this year.

I often lose focus due to life events and lose valuable time getting closer to these goals. I'm hoping that being apart of this challenge will help me make some new friends and to help each other move forward and keep each other accountable.

Collapse

George GuimarΓ£es

Hi Brandon, are you currently in a different career trying to work your way into software development? I haven't walked that path myself but I know of many people who did and I can assure you it's worth doing it. Not so much because of the financial aspect (as awesome as it is for most), but because of the sense of fulfillment you will have uniting learning and creativity in one craft.

Looking forward to hearing about your journey in the future.

Saudaçáes!

Collapse

Brandon Redmond

E aΓ­ George! Tudo bem?

I left my job as a high school computer science teacher a little over a year and a half ago. I've been trying to get into the software world since, and while I've been very focused during most of this year and a half, sometimes life happens and I get side tracked. I am getting closer and closer, and very much looking forward to it.

Tbm, sim! Pratico portuguΓͺs todos os dias. Eu casei um brasiliero e visitamos a famΓ­lia dele pelo menos uma vez por ano, em Fortaleza. Acabemos de passar duas meses no brasil essa ΓΊltima november e dezembro. Sinto muito saudades do brasil e do sol da Fortlaza e SΓ£o Paulo. Nova Iorque tΓ‘ bem frio hj em dia... TΓ΄ sonhando de voltar em breve.

Thread Thread

George GuimarΓ£es

Tudo certo!

Thanks for sharing your career path. I'm sure many opportunities will present themselves very soon if you keep persisting at your goals. There are so many jobs open and the market is immense. Just keep learning and taking one day at a time and soon you will become a fellow software developer.

Agora faz sentido vocΓͺ "falar" PortuguΓͺs tΓ£o bem. Eu sou da ParaΓ­ba, que fica relativamente perto do CearΓ‘. Γ‰ uma boa estratΓ©gia ir para Fortaleza durante os meses frios em NY. Sucesso mais um vez na sua jornada!

Collapse

codeandbees profile image
dorothy joy • Edited

1. Why do you want to code more:

I want to code more because I want to get a job that becomes a career in technology, creating and contributing to projects that I am proud to be a part of and eager to share with others. Also the pay bump would be a very welcome change for good in my life.

2. How will you know when you've reached your goal?

I know I'll have reached my "code more" goal when I complete the freeCodeCamp certifications in "Responsive Web Design", "JavaScript Algorithms and Data Structures", and "Front End Development Libraries" and have the confidence in my skills to assemble a portfolio and interview for related positions.

3. What were some of the assumptions about reaching your goal that you identified?

1) That I will maintain enough motivation to push forward even when I am not "feeling like it".

The plan is to find an accountability buddy for regular check-ins and support (DM me on twitter if you're interested @codeandbees) in addition to putting together a quick-to-access collection of articles, people & visuals that remind me why I want to code. Keeping things visually present helps me focus on them.

2) That I will have enough time to consistently complete lessons and get help as needed.
This is on me to recognize when I need to slow down and dive deeper into concepts instead of zooming through before I've fully grasped things. I want to understand what I am learning well enough to carry on a discussion about it.

3) That I will be able to find the help I need and have the courage to interact with other coders.

Anyone else struggle with social anxiety? It's been a lifelong challenge for me, and despite having had multiple jobs in customer-facing roles and doing all sorts of things that require interacting with others, this is still something that holds me back at times. When it comes to coding, I get even more anxious because I really love code and the spirit of the coding community, so the stakes feel very high.

Collapse

Mark King

Thank you for your transparency. I can relate with the time management aspect, wanting to fully grasp concepts and being able to make contributions.

You are already on your way, so keep up the great work you have started. You can do it!

Collapse

pachicodes profile image
Pachi Parra

I started working as a DevRel very early in my Tech career, and while that means I have an awesome job that love, it also means that I didn't get much work experience as a Dev, and In 2021 I was so very focused on creating content and learning in Public (which was great and I love), that I didn't code as much as I would like.
So let's code more in 2022!

Collapse

Mark King
  1. Why do you want to code more? I want to be more consistent in learning how to improve my skills to automate repetitive tasks and eventually generate a revenue stream through coding.

2. How will you know when you've reached your goal? I will know I have reached my goal when I have successfully implemented some process improvements by creating applications that make my computer task more efficient(e.g. replace Excel spreadsheets and charts with web app, incorporating data visualization). In addition, I hope to create apps/scripts to help those in my circle of influence with my enhanced skills.

3. What were some of the assumptions about reaching your goal that you identified? I have a few assumptions:
    a) Our family will create a menu for the week so we can eat at home more … saves the time driving/waiting at restaurants and money :-)
    b) I will stick to a schedule (work/family/coding balance); avoid burnout
    c) I will have the encouragement of this community

Collapse

jlesuerdev profile image
J L

Awesome idea to build your own stuff to automate the mundane. I'm with you on the constraints of everyday life. Looking forward to seeing your menu!

Collapse

Mark King

Thank you jlesuerdev. Happy coding!

Collapse

hasobi profile image
Hasobi

I want to code more because:
Even though i have computer science background, i’m not really comfortable with my coding skills since my main focus in study was in cybersecurity and i really wanna have extensive project and really wanna get involved in open source projects.

I know I’ll have reached my β€œcode more” goal when:
When i could finish some projects and have several good reviews, i know it will take some times but i definitely will enjoy it through the process.

Collapse

aaheli_s profile image
Aaheli Sadhukhan

Why do you want to code more?
I want to code more because I want to learn more about various programming languages and develop my problem solving skills.

How will you know when you've reached your goal?
I will know that I have reached my goal when I have developed my skills. I can implement those skills to build the projects that I have planned to make.

Collapse

agelviscarlos profile image
Carlos-Rainbow coding πŸ‘¨β€πŸ’» 🌈

The idea of getting into the tech world has been in my mind for more than 5 years. In most of them, what have failed is the fear of failure and the overwhelming sensation of feeling stupid. Last year, I took the decision to not fail this time and is going great, because I've created a group of support of people learning to code like me, with weekly goals that helped me to not give out.
I want to code more because once I started with Javascript, the sensation of being dumb got stronger. This year I've been coding basically everyday and already I feel I get JS so much better, and I know that they key is to keep on going.
My goal with Code More is to finish the online bootcamp I'm doing, specially the react part, so by March I'll be able to:

• Start my own project
  • Start looking for a job

I want to finally change careers this first half of the year and I know I'll be able to do it, if I keep on coding like I'm already doing.