CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for [#CNC2022 "Code More" Cohort 1] Why do you want to code more?
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeNewbie Team

Posted on

[#CNC2022 "Code More" Cohort 1] Why do you want to code more?

This thread is for participants in Cohort 1 of #CNC2022's "Code More" Challenge.

Mission 1 Discussion Thread

After you've completed the reading and exercises in your Mission 1 email, respond to the following prompts related to the work you've done...

**1. Why do you want to code more
**2. How will you know when you've reached your goal?
**3. (Optional) What were some of the assumptions about reaching your goal that you identified?

Scan through the comments after you've posted your own and interact with 1-2 other people. Don't forget to follow these people on CodeNewbie Community if you aren't already! 

Congrats on challenging yourself to Code More! If you have any questions about the challenge overall, head to the Code More Help Thread. For any technical questions throughout the challenge (or in general) write a #help post on CodeNewbie Community or DEV and share with the community!

Latest comments (89)

Collapse

anavela profile image
Ana Vela • Edited

1. Why do you want to code more?

I want to level up my JavaScript skills and make progress on a web accessibility course. I’d also like to complete some Frontend Mentor projects and start the UI Design Foundations course through Scrimba. The general idea is to create a regular habit of studying and building each day.

2. How will you know when you've reached your goal?

I would feel I’ve reached my goal if I made progress on any of these courses and projects.

3. What were some of the assumptions about reaching your goal that you identified?

Some assumptions I identifed:

1. having a time slotted for this practice or learning and actually completing a work session
  2. having the patience to work through challenges and difficulties
  3. not getting distracted by the next shiny thing aka cool new class or challenge, or fun project before finishing current projects
Collapse

lesleynicole profile image
Lesley-Nicole

I want to code more because I want to be a blockchain developer.
A pretty good way of knowing I reached my goal would be to get certified....

Assuming I learn and practice enough to feel confident enough to take the test.
And that's assuming that I make enough time to study properly.

Collapse

selly profile image
selly

I want to code more because I want to have a better understanding on how to create a better app. I want to have more options when deciding things not just "as long as it works". I will feel complete when I am able to build app my own and not afraid to posting it for public use.

Collapse

yuhcee profile image
Uchenna Egbo

• I want to build coding consistency habit it takes to be successful in my career and achieve the heights that I desire.

• When I am seamlessly building out projects, coding everyday and commiting to Github.

• Enough resources to learn from,
Enough time,
The passion to push through the hard parts.

Collapse

ashorta profile image
Ashorta • Edited
  1. Why do you want to code more? to build consistency and discipline. 2.How will i know when I have reached my Goal? i. Clock 2 hours of coding everyday ii. Finish new course on udemy.
  2. Assumptions i. I will have time ii. I will not loose focus
Collapse

dakshitavanga profile image
DakshitaVanga

I want to code more because:

I want to improve my coding skills especially in Java. I want to learn frameworks like Spring and Spring Cloud.

Collapse

atraisce profile image
Atraisce

Hi all! I'm super late to the part here but I'm joining in nonetheless!

I think it's a fairly strong skill that I would able to develop and use to do creative projects and make some money doing it! Coding is a skill that I enjoy playing around with and have used from time to time in a professional capacity but would like to claim more of a space for myself amongst professional coders!

I know I’ll have reached my “code more” goal when:
I have enough comfort with JavaScript that I can plan a simple project and work to expand complexity on my own. Really planning to tuck into a course on creative coding so finishing this course should be part of this although might take me beyond the time of the challenge.

I'll share two of my assumptions here:

1. As many of you already say, time is a huge factor. I'm doing this on the side while also working to improve my artistic skills, also on the side. So it's a major challenge to keep up with things!
  2. While I can achieve my main goal by following a structured course or training, one of the greatest challenges to my longer term success is being bold enough to break into a freelance or professional space as a n00b. How does one push themselves to seek work once they have developed a skill set?
Collapse

jerncomania28 profile image
Jeremiah

I want to Code More to be fully confident in my skills and take up any task while learning how to be consistent in the process .

Clarity , when I get a form of clarity in purpose that , yes this is what I want to fully engage in and I can confidently execute it E.g building a full fledge E-commerce site.

my assumptions are :
I'll have Enough interest to follow through the challenge
I'll be motivated to complete all weekly task on time

Collapse

zenonwarriorprincess profile image
Sam

I want to break into tech as a junior developer, preferably backend/fullstack focused. My riskiest assumption on the path to code more is that I will be disciplined enough to stick with coding consistently even when I'm tired. I'm working two jobs plus odd jobs on the side. I still find myself with time wasted on social media or just in analysis paralysis! I set a screentime limit on my phone to help with that.

Collapse

atraisce profile image
Atraisce

Hi Sam!

It's tough to stick with it when you don't have a lot of time, for sure! It's definitely something we can do, though, if we can find smaller ways to fit it into our most packed full days. And it's obviously super important to break from things and get some rest when we need it! It'll make us more efficient and better learners in the end!

Best of luck with the challenge!

Collapse

aivanvarma profile image
Eero Saarinen

My ultimate goal is to land a job, so everything I do is aimed for that future. Easiest measure of how I know I've reached my goal is that I actually land a job.

But to achieve that I first have to bring back my routine. Since last autumn everything has not gone as I would have hoped for in life, which has lead me to lose interest and motivation. So getting that routine back is essential, and I know I've achieved my goal when I no longer succumb to the ever tempting siren song of procrastination and just code away.

The worst thing that could make me lose motivation is if I don't have enough challenge in my project(s). This has always been my downfall in everything that I want to learn, if it feels too easy I lose interest. Emphasis on the "feeling" part, and not on the objective scale of how easy something is.

Collapse

fatiimaezzahra profile image
Fatima-Ezzahra

Why do you want to code more?
I want to challenge myself, make mistakes and learn from them. I want to be as comfortable as possible when writing code and eventually create something of my own.

How will you know when you’ve reached your goal?
I will set a goal of working on an application each week, and hopefully completing it by the end of the challenge.

Collapse

alexpinhel profile image
Alexandre Pinhel
  1. Code more to refresh my knowledge and improve in areas like reliability, scalability.
  2. When I have a running application, properly monitored and deployed with a commit on the code without interruption from customer perspective.
  3. Asssumptions: dedicate time to code on regular basis. Find a meaningful project to do.
Collapse

codeandbees profile image
dorothy joy • Edited

1. Why do you want to code more:

I want to code more because I want to get a job that becomes a career in technology, creating and contributing to projects that I am proud to be a part of and eager to share with others. Also the pay bump would be a very welcome change for good in my life.

2. How will you know when you've reached your goal?

I know I'll have reached my "code more" goal when I complete the freeCodeCamp certifications in "Responsive Web Design", "JavaScript Algorithms and Data Structures", and "Front End Development Libraries" and have the confidence in my skills to assemble a portfolio and interview for related positions.

3. What were some of the assumptions about reaching your goal that you identified?

1) That I will maintain enough motivation to push forward even when I am not "feeling like it".

The plan is to find an accountability buddy for regular check-ins and support (DM me on twitter if you're interested @codeandbees) in addition to putting together a quick-to-access collection of articles, people & visuals that remind me why I want to code. Keeping things visually present helps me focus on them.

2) That I will have enough time to consistently complete lessons and get help as needed.
This is on me to recognize when I need to slow down and dive deeper into concepts instead of zooming through before I've fully grasped things. I want to understand what I am learning well enough to carry on a discussion about it.

3) That I will be able to find the help I need and have the courage to interact with other coders.

Anyone else struggle with social anxiety? It's been a lifelong challenge for me, and despite having had multiple jobs in customer-facing roles and doing all sorts of things that require interacting with others, this is still something that holds me back at times. When it comes to coding, I get even more anxious because I really love code and the spirit of the coding community, so the stakes feel very high.

Collapse

mark_rightofzero profile image
Mark King

Thank you for your transparency. I can relate with the time management aspect, wanting to fully grasp concepts and being able to make contributions.

You are already on your way, so keep up the great work you have started. You can do it!

Collapse

hasobi profile image
Hasobi

Even though i have computer science background, i’m not really comfortable with my coding skills since my main focus in study was in cybersecurity and i really wanna have extensive project and really wanna get involved in open source projects.

I know I’ll have reached my “code more” goal when:
When i could finish some projects and have several good reviews, i know it will take some times but i definitely will enjoy it through the process.

Collapse

pachicodes profile image
Pachi Parra

I started working as a DevRel very early in my Tech career, and while that means I have an awesome job that love, it also means that I didn't get much work experience as a Dev, and In 2021 I was so very focused on creating content and learning in Public (which was great and I love), that I didn't code as much as I would like.
So let's code more in 2022!