CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for [#CNC2022 "Code More" Cohort 1] Why do you want to code more?
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeNewbie Team

Posted on

[#CNC2022 "Code More" Cohort 1] Why do you want to code more?

This thread is for participants in Cohort 1 of #CNC2022's "Code More" Challenge.

Mission 1 Discussion Thread

After you've completed the reading and exercises in your Mission 1 email, respond to the following prompts related to the work you've done...

**1. Why do you want to code more
**2. How will you know when you've reached your goal?
**3. (Optional) What were some of the assumptions about reaching your goal that you identified?

Scan through the comments after you've posted your own and interact with 1-2 other people. Don't forget to follow these people on CodeNewbie Community if you aren't already! 

Congrats on challenging yourself to Code More! If you have any questions about the challenge overall, head to the Code More Help Thread. For any technical questions throughout the challenge (or in general) write a #help post on CodeNewbie Community or DEV and share with the community!

Oldest comments (89)

Collapse

aaron profile image
Aaron McCollum

Why do I want to code more? I need the practice and discipline, basically making it a habit. I want to do a bootcamp once I return to the US, so I want to code more now to put myself in the best position possible.

How will I know when I meet this goal? When I finish out this cohort and all the activities. I don't want to drop it like I did last time. Subjectively, I'll know I hit the goal once I have a better habit and healthier relationship with coding and the learning process.

What are some of the assumptions for reaching my goal? I assume I will need to do more chores in the afternoon so I can code at night while balancing family duties.

I look forward to meeting others in this cohort!

Collapse

ronvillela profile image
Ron

I feel you. I dropped it last time as well. I feel like so long as you keep getting up and moving forward you will be good. Trying to stick through this time as well. I had to look at my day and after deducting sleeping and daily chores(taking kids to schools etc) I realized how much time I had left and separated a block of time for coding.

Collapse

aaron profile image
Aaron McCollum

That’s an awesome strategy. I will do the same. I already have an idea of when that can be but would like to formalize it a bit more.

Collapse

bredmond1019 profile image
Brandon Redmond

Hey Aaron,

I tend to drop it as well. I go through spurts of coding every day for a couple months, then I lose it for another month or so. Rinse and repeat.

Let's keep each other motivated and on task!

Collapse

danialahmed121 profile image
DanialAhmed121

I want to code more, so I can gain a better understanding and gain more confidence in my abilities to code.

Collapse

ronvillela profile image
Ron • Edited

I want to eventually have sufficient knowledge to create something. I want to be able to take an assessment at a job interview and do well. I also want to have the confidence to do this.

Although I am from the belief that learning is a lifelong journey that never ends, I will feel more confident in my goal achievement once I have completed:

1. Intermediate Java (FIU)
  2. CodgGym course
  3. Udemy course
  4. JetBrains Academy

I have three assumptions I've identified:

1. Time
  2. Progress
  3. Motivation

The only reason time is a concern is because I'm turning 51 this year and just feel like I don't have time to waste. I'm assuming I will make progress and stay motivated although I have days when I feel I am not making progress and lose motivation. The reason for this: not being able to solve similar types of problems.

Collapse

almostdevelopr profile image
almostdevelopr

All the best, Ron!

Collapse

rohit1101 profile image
rohit1101

Good luck, Ron you are going to kill the job interviews!

Collapse

adrianskar profile image
Adrian Skar

Time is the only thing we'll never have more of. Keep it up!

Collapse

kc profile image
K C

All the best Ron.

Collapse

georgeanderson profile image
George Guimarães

It's inspiring to see your motivation at this stage of life, Ron. I wish you the best of success in your journey.

Collapse

lesleynicole profile image
Lesley-Nicole

I hear you. I'm about to turn 39. When I have days where my code is just not working, I try to code something else that's more fun. That way I never lose motivation.

Collapse

anncyber profile image
ann-cyber

I want to code more because:
I want to get a job in this industry and figure out if it is for me. also solve my personal problems as well as the struggles of others. helping other people is my value, as well as creativity and curiosity.

I know I’ll have reached my “code more” goal when:
I know how github and git work, I have a routine and solved 3 problems this week. Also completing code newbie things when they arrive.

My top three assumptions for reaching my goal are:
i will not give up
i will not get derailed by other goals
i will not hyperfocus on something else (like knitting, i looked at yarn so much today it is insane)

Collapse

gabby_codes profile image
Gabby

Hi Ann, I watched a video on Github/Git the other day which I'd recommend - at least I found it a very useful intro anyway :) youtube.com/watch?v=RGOj5yH7evk

Collapse

azura_dios profile image
Azura Dios

Hi ann,
Your goals and assumptions are very similar to mine. I was hoping that you can be my accountability buddy. Since I have the same problems as yours so we can help each other out.

If you think that can help you. Please folow me and DM me

Collapse

anncyber profile image
ann-cyber

send you a dm on your website! not sure this site has dms lol

Collapse

Brandon Redmond

Hey Ann,

I also love to help people! I used to be a teacher and it was the most rewarding experience. Unfortunately, teachers are under valued and I am here to continue my efforts to help people, while also being able to help myself live comfortable and a fulfilling life.

all the best!

Collapse

agelviscarlos profile image
Carlos-Rainbow coding 👨‍💻 🌈

Another yarn lover! Let's make our hands created also virtually and not only physically, we can do this!

Collapse

johngidoe profile image
Piotr Grzybowski

Hi Ann,
Knitting or coding hard choice :)
If you like to play a game and learn git branching at the same time I recommend Oh My Git! Github is quite straight so you should get it easily. Don't give up. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. All the best

Collapse

adwoa profile image
Adwoa

Why do I want to code more?
I want to code more because I know it will help me to become consistent and eventually develop a habit of coding.
It will help me to develop my skills and get better at coding.
It will help me get a job

How will I know when I’ve reached you goal?
I know i’ll have reached my “code more” goal when:
I become consistent with coding
When I code everyday
When I finish my app

My assumptions for reaching my goal are:
I am committed to taking positive actions everyday(code everyday) to influence my results and reach my goal
I am committed to dedicating more time to reach this goal
I will be more disciplined

Collapse

anni profile image
Anietie Brownson

I wish you luck on your goals. You're from Ghana right?

Collapse

adwoa profile image
Adwoa

Thank you. Yes I am.

Collapse

mark_rightofzero profile image
Mark King

Hello Adwoa. After completing the 100 days of code, I know coding everyday is possible. I wish you the best on your journey.

Collapse

adwoa profile image
Adwoa

Thanks Mark

Collapse

anni profile image
Anietie Brownson

Why I want to code more?
I want to code more because I want to get better and build enough side projects that I can add to my portfolio so I can get a good job.

How will I know I've met my goal?
I'll know I'm there when I can code confidently and solve problems without having to run to YouTube for everything. And also when I start working on Real World Projects.

What are the assumptions for reaching my goal?
Keeping the flame burning even when it feels like it's challenging
Assigning time each day to code without interruptions

Collapse

adwoa profile image
Adwoa • Edited

All the best

Collapse

anni profile image
Anietie Brownson

Thanks

Collapse

supermari0s profile image
Marios
  1. I want to code more because:
    I want to finally start working on my personal projects !

2. I know I’ll have reached my “code more” goal when:
    I've at least started and progressed one of my personal projects…

3. My top three assumptions for reaching my goal are:
    • I'll get some time to code
    • I'll get the necessary peace of mind and space to work
    • I'll stop making excuses :)

Collapse

aaheli_s profile image
Aaheli Sadhukhan

Why do you want to code more?
I want to code more because I want to learn more about various programming languages and develop my problem solving skills.

How will you know when you've reached your goal?
I will know that I have reached my goal when I have developed my skills. I can implement those skills to build the projects that I have planned to make.

Collapse

almostdevelopr • Edited
  1. I want to code more because:
    1.1 Learn a new skill -> to build things
    1.2 Job -> Land a good job and do what interests me
    1.3 Build enough side projects to add in my portfolio

2. I know I’ll have reached my “code more” goal when:
    2.1 When I will be able to build things and not give up on my coding goals

3. My top three assumptions for reaching my goal are:
    3.1 A proper coding plan/roadmap on how to move forward with the existing
    knowledge/skill
    3.2 Passionate about technology
    3.3 Time management

4. Of these assumptions, my riskiest is:
    4.1 Time management

5. When I think about my riskiest assumption, three possible root causes are:
    5.1 Full time job so it sometimes become hard to find time to code consistently
    5.2 Not knowing how to proceed further
    5.3 No one to guide or help

6. Three ways I might address these root causes are:
    6.1 Time management -> By properly managing my time I am sure I will be able to
    achieve my ‘code more’ goals
    6.2 A proper learning structure. Since the Internet is full of resources but not
    knowing how to start or what next makes it really difficult to stay consistent.

7. Of these, the biggest cause that’s worth tackling first is:

• Time management -> tackling this cause will surely help me achieve my coding goals.

Let's code together!
Twitter -> twitter.com/almostdevelopr
Github -> github.com/almostdevelopr

Collapse

Mark King

Hey @almostdevelopr ... great tag. I totally agree with the time management. After work, sometimes it is like I just hit a wall. Some days I push through the wall and code, but some days the wall wins smh. Also, ditto on #5. Prayer, Stack Overflow, YouTube and Google helped me tremendously. I wish you much success on your path.

Collapse

almostdevelopr

@mark_rightofzero Thanks a bunch man! wish you the same.

Looking forward to collaborate on some awesome projects.

Collapse

collinclifford profile image
Collin Clifford

I want to code more to sharpen my skills but also to find a job within the industry.

I'll know I've reached my goal when I feel confident in my new position. Also, I expect to feel comfortable with the tools I've learned but willing to collect new ones.

I assume that I'll give myself the proper amount of time to work towards this goal. I assume that I'll make the best of my problem solving skills before resorting to relying on google. I assume that I'll complete this 5 week challenge.
My riskiest assumption is that I'll set aside the appropriate amount of time to work towards this goal outside of my current job and family obligations.
Three things I'm doing to help make this assumption less risky are:
Allot a specific period of the day when I get home from work to focus on my goal.
Keep a kanban board to help channel that focus.
Make an effort to fully understand problems before tackling them and loosing time working backwards.

Collapse

johngidoe profile image
Piotr Grzybowski

Hi,
1. Why do you want to code more
I am in the middle of changing my career path to JS developer. I had to stop coding for a while because of my son's birth but now I am trying to get back on track.
2. How will you know when you've reached your goal?
When I will have a habit to code 6 days a week. Also when I add some projects to my portfolio.
3. (Optional) What were some of the assumptions about reaching your goal that you identified?
Time management. I work full time and have 10 months child. My wife is at home still but there is plenty to do every day. Discipline will be a key to overwhelm that.

Collapse

Brandon Redmond

Hi Piotr,

Sounds like you have quite a lot on your plate! We're expecting a child this year and I'm hoping to keep motivated after the child arrives.

you got this! One day at a time :)

Collapse

johngidoe profile image
Piotr Grzybowski

Hi Brandon,
Child changes everything but I wouldn't take it back. The worst is when you have to choose between playing with your son and coding. Few months old child can be very persuasive 🙂
Tkanks for the support and good luck to you too. Child means more on your head but also more joy every day
I believe we will be successful. Like you said one day at a time. I learned that consistency is the key and motivation is just an addition to it.

Thread Thread

Brandon Redmond

I couldn't agree more. It's all about showing up each day, whether its a couple hours, or just 20 minutes.

So glad to hear about the your son. I'm very much looking forward to being a dad :) At the end of the day, what's more important than family?

Thread Thread

johngidoe profile image
Piotr Grzybowski

I agree family is before everything else. Congratulations to you. The moment you become a dad is incomparable to anything else. I keep my fingers crossed for you :)

Collapse

gabby_codes profile image
Gabby
  1. Why do you want to code more?
    I'd like to feel confident enough to apply for a software developer role.
    I'd like to have the skills to realise my ideas.

I have completed my coding time target each week.
    I have become confident enough to start building one of my personal projects.

3. What were some of the assumptions about reaching your goal that you identified?
    I'll have enough time each week.
    I'll remain focused on progress rather than getting distracted by the self-doubt that can come with being faced with a more challenging aspect.
    I'll be able to balance this challenge with a full-time job/life in general.

Collapse

Mark King
  1. Why do you want to code more? I want to be more consistent in learning how to improve my skills to automate repetitive tasks and eventually generate a revenue stream through coding.

2. How will you know when you've reached your goal? I will know I have reached my goal when I have successfully implemented some process improvements by creating applications that make my computer task more efficient(e.g. replace Excel spreadsheets and charts with web app, incorporating data visualization). In addition, I hope to create apps/scripts to help those in my circle of influence with my enhanced skills.

3. What were some of the assumptions about reaching your goal that you identified? I have a few assumptions:
    a) Our family will create a menu for the week so we can eat at home more … saves the time driving/waiting at restaurants and money :-)
    b) I will stick to a schedule (work/family/coding balance); avoid burnout
    c) I will have the encouragement of this community

Collapse

jlesuerdev profile image
J L

Awesome idea to build your own stuff to automate the mundane. I'm with you on the constraints of everyday life. Looking forward to seeing your menu!

Collapse

Mark King

Thank you jlesuerdev. Happy coding!

Collapse

chrislb profile image
Chris
  1. Why do you want to code more

• I want to code more to further develop my skills and attain employment as a software developer.

• I will know that I've reached my goal when I am able to consistently tackle more complex projects and dive deeper into various interview prep materials.
  3. What were some of the assumptions about reaching your goal that you identified?

• I will dedicate enough time daily to perform provided tasks and work on personal projects.
    • I will invest in additional learning materials to grow my knowledge.
Collapse

atraisce profile image
Atraisce

Nice! I think we have similar ideas about how to know we've reached our goals! Having enough of a sense of the language or the platform you're working with to know how to build (or work towards building) essentially any project or function set you can imagine!

As for the dedicated time thing, it's a major issue for me too. When I'm practicing my art skills, any amount of time will do. I imagine it will be similar for coding as long as we select the right kind of practice! A short challenge on CodeWars? Reading more about how to use a function you haven't tried before? This can be done even in 5 minutes on your phone so when you're really pressed for time you can still take a small step forward!

Collapse

azura_dios profile image
Azura Dios

**1. Why do you want to code more
I want to do more and more Data Structure and Algorithm questions. Because I have been trying to do that for such a long time but I get demotivated and distracted so many times that my progress became really slow.

*2. How will you know when you've reached your goal?
1. 4
coder on codechef
2. solve around 1000 problems on leetcode.
I know this is very high goal to set but sky is a limit.

**3. What were some of the assumptions about reaching your goal that you identified?
1. Motivation
2. Progress
This is because I nned gratification to be constalnly working and stay motivated.

Collapse

crumbhustler profile image
crumbhustler

Motivation is definitely an assumption for me too. We can do this!