CodeNewbie Community

Ben Halpern
Ben Halpern

Posted on

What was the first thing you ever built with code?

Discussion (18)

Collapse
gashwinshiva profile image
g-ashwin-shiva

a number guessing game ,which after guessing your number from rows and columns gives you your number and future prediction in c++

Collapse
luiscastillokc profile image
Luis Castillo

I love baseball that was my dream when I was a teeneger and during my first Bootcamp project I built a Command Line Interface (CLI) MLB player list from an API with Ruby.

Collapse
terabytetiger profile image
Tyler V. (he/him)

The first thing I ever built for myself was a website for our wedding to practice HTML/CSS/JQuery ๐Ÿ˜…

It was definitely not as high quality as my wife deserved, but it was the starting point for going down the JavaScript road ๐Ÿฅณ

Collapse
ndrwriter profile image
NDRWriter

Not counting MS-DOS colour changes in the 80's, it was likely HTML for MySpace or some other page building site. I loved that I could change everything without additional resources from parents or outside sources. Still do.

Collapse
elleon003 profile image
elleon003

The first thing I built with code was a quiz based on the game The Sims, as a bootcamp assignment. It was the first time I was able to understand working with Javascript truly and it was awesome to come to life. That and I was able to see who my true Sims nerds were!

Collapse
theoriginalbpc profile image
Sarah Bartley

My portfolio site was my first project. My portfolio has evolved throughout the past 6 years I've been a developer, but the first version of my portfolio site holds a special place in my heart since that was the first thing I designed then built by myself.

Collapse
noviicee profile image
Novice • Edited

A terminal-based application, which took name and address as inputs, and returned a friendly message that "Hi [name], your items are shipped to [address]." ;)

It's true.

Made it in C-language. (It was the first programming language that I learnt :)

Collapse
djuber profile image
Daniel Uber

I wanted to replicate the math I was reading in a book - and used QBasic to plot points (slowly) to render the logistic map with user-supplied parameters.

Collapse
jarvisscript profile image
Chris Jarvis

Website to display a photo gallery.

Collapse
adiatiayu profile image
Ayu Adiati

A tribute page with HTML & CSS for Freecodecamp's certification ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Collapse
jrrohrer profile image
Jessie Rohrer

A Ruby gem that scrapes restaurant recommendation sites and returns a list of local restaurants that either have takeout or delivery, along with a handful of reviews.

Collapse
jenny_nickell profile image
Jenny Nickell

I built a dice roller when I was starting with JavaScript.

Collapse
stephback profile image
Stephanie Back

I built a card deck in Java. Then I built upon the card deck and created the card game War. It is a rough application but it functions. :)
I am most proud of a pie database I created using SQL.

Collapse
tarynmcmillan profile image
Taryn McMillan

I think I remember using some rudimentary HTML as a pre-teen on my GeoCities site. ๐Ÿคฃ

Collapse
irmskie profile image
irmskie

An HTML website about myself (a CV). I improved it with some CSS. That's as far as I have gotten in terms of coding in general. #newbie

Collapse
terabytetiger profile image
Tyler V. (he/him)

Portfolio sites are so much fun to work on and never feel like they're finished ๐Ÿ˜…

Collapse
sbstn profile image
sbstn98

An html page about the Simpsons, i was around 13 years old, in a time you Worked with frames :D i hope one day i will find the code on an old Computer :)

Collapse
mage_ai profile image
Mage

The first thing I ever built with code was an FPS flash game.