CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Ben Halpern
Ben Halpern

Posted on

What was the first thing you ever built with code?

Top comments (18)

Collapse

gashwinshiva profile image
g-ashwin-shiva

a number guessing game ,which after guessing your number from rows and columns gives you your number and future prediction in c++

Collapse

luiscastillokc profile image
Luis Castillo

I love baseball that was my dream when I was a teeneger and during my first Bootcamp project I built a Command Line Interface (CLI) MLB player list from an API with Ruby.

Collapse

terabytetiger profile image
Tyler V. (he/him)

The first thing I ever built for myself was a website for our wedding to practice HTML/CSS/JQuery 😅

It was definitely not as high quality as my wife deserved, but it was the starting point for going down the JavaScript road 🥳

Collapse

ndrwriter profile image
NDRWriter

Not counting MS-DOS colour changes in the 80's, it was likely HTML for MySpace or some other page building site. I loved that I could change everything without additional resources from parents or outside sources. Still do.

Collapse

elleon003 profile image
elleon003

The first thing I built with code was a quiz based on the game The Sims, as a bootcamp assignment. It was the first time I was able to understand working with Javascript truly and it was awesome to come to life. That and I was able to see who my true Sims nerds were!

Collapse

theoriginalbpc profile image
Sarah Dye

My portfolio site was my first project. My portfolio has evolved throughout the past 6 years I've been a developer, but the first version of my portfolio site holds a special place in my heart since that was the first thing I designed then built by myself.

Collapse

noviicee profile image
Novice • Edited

A terminal-based application, which took name and address as inputs, and returned a friendly message that "Hi [name], your items are shipped to [address]." ;)

It's true.

Made it in C-language. (It was the first programming language that I learnt :)

Collapse

djuber profile image
Daniel Uber

I wanted to replicate the math I was reading in a book - and used QBasic to plot points (slowly) to render the logistic map with user-supplied parameters.

Collapse

jarvisscript profile image
Chris Jarvis

Website to display a photo gallery.

Collapse

adiatiayu profile image
Ayu Adiati

A tribute page with HTML & CSS for Freecodecamp's certification 😃

Collapse

jrrohrer profile image
Jessie Rohrer

A Ruby gem that scrapes restaurant recommendation sites and returns a list of local restaurants that either have takeout or delivery, along with a handful of reviews.

Collapse

jenny_nickell profile image
Jenny Nickell

I built a dice roller when I was starting with JavaScript.

Collapse

stephback profile image
Stephanie Back

I built a card deck in Java. Then I built upon the card deck and created the card game War. It is a rough application but it functions. :)
I am most proud of a pie database I created using SQL.

Collapse

tarynmcmillan profile image
Taryn McMillan

I think I remember using some rudimentary HTML as a pre-teen on my GeoCities site. 🤣

Collapse

irmskie profile image
irmskie

An HTML website about myself (a CV). I improved it with some CSS. That's as far as I have gotten in terms of coding in general. #newbie

Collapse

terabytetiger profile image
Tyler V. (he/him)

Portfolio sites are so much fun to work on and never feel like they're finished 😅