CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for [#CNC2022 "Get a Job" Cohort 1] What are your three favorite companies?
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeNewbie Team

Posted on

[#CNC2022 "Get a Job" Cohort 1] What are your three favorite companies?

This thread is for participants in Cohort 1 of #CNC2022's "Get a Job" Challenge.

Mission 1 pt. I Discussion Thread

After you've completed the reading and exercises in your Mission 1 pt. I email, respond to the following prompt...

**1. Name three of the companies that made it onto your final list!
**2. Were you surprised that these companies ended up on your list?

Scan through the comments after you've posted your own and interact with 1-2 other people. Don't forget to follow these people on CodeNewbie Community if you aren't already! 

Congrats on challenging yourself to Code More! If you have any questions about the challenge overall, head to the Get a Job Help Thread. For any technical questions throughout the challenge (or in general) write a #help post on CodeNewbie Community or DEV and share with the community!

Top comments (18)

Collapse

zlehmann profile image
Zachary Lehmann
  1. Sidewalk Labs - not surprised it made it on the list but surprised the algorithms pushed it to me so hard.
  2. 3D Robotics - I've loved them for a long time. It would be a stretch to get a job there but I would love to work there!
  3. Environmental Defense Fund - Also not surprised they made it on my list. I like the work they do and think I could contribute there, but not seeing the path in.
Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

3D Robotics seems like it would be an incredible place to work. Love this list!

Collapse

geraldiner profile image
Geraldine
  1. Pivot Interactives - Admittedly, I just learned about them because someone reached out to me via email for one of their open positions 🤞🏽
  2. Code.org / CodeHS - Not surprising because I'm very passionate about education, and especially STEM education, and particularly CS education recently.
  3. Discovery Education - Same as above- I'm more partial to smaller companies, but I am curious about big companies and it would be interesting just to interview with them if I could.

Definitely not surprised by the companies on my list. As mentioned above, I am very passionate about education and it would be a dream to work for an EdTech company. I am also interested in any place that's doing research or something innovative, but didn't quite come across any yet.

Collapse

darylnauman profile image
Daryl Nauman

Great list! EdTech is a very interesting area to look into especially with so much remote and hybrid learning occurring these days and likely into the future.

Collapse

shauncy777 profile image
Shawn Daugherty Calhoun
  1. Spotify - Not surprised. I still find this an exciting prospect despite the ensuing drama. Incredibly difficult for a noob like myself to land a role like this.
  2. American Institutes for Research - A bit surprised. Stumbled on this on a Veterans' job board and inspired by their mission.
  3. Scan 123 - Surprised. Had my first interview and this conscientious small team made a great impression. Although the product isn't super exciting, I am intrigued to work with these developers.
Collapse

geraldiner profile image
Geraldine

I'll be rooting for you for Spotify, Shawn (although it is a bit unfortunate about the ensuing drama)! I recently had a Google recruiter reach out to me and push me to the virtual onsite interviews round, and I'm still reeling- I don't know who's looking out for me, but I'm going to share the good vibes with you! You got this!

Collapse

dev_tgt profile image
Timothy Taylor
  1. Headspace - not surprised, pretty much a dream job. Ideal mix of ideals & aesthetic.
  2. Nebulab - stumbled on their 'playbook' early in this process, looks like a place with great culture especially for a remote company. Appreciate that their product helps small businesses.
  3. Pledge - a bit surprising, smaller company doing interesting fundraising work.
Collapse

Daryl Nauman

Love the idea of working at Headspace - I can totally see the appeal of their ideals. Probably one of the reasons health/wellness companies come to mind for me.

Collapse

alekseisaunders profile image
Alex Saunders

Ohh, like the headspace idea. Love Andy and the app. Certainly has helped a lot during these last few years. Great stretch goal!

Collapse

rodrigohdiaz profile image
Rodrigo Diaz
  1. Roam Creative - not so surprised to see it in my list.
  2. Phosphor - a bit surprised to see it in my list.
  3. Psychoactive studios - not surprised to see them on my list, I love their work
Collapse

Daryl Nauman

Hi all, Doing a bit of catch-up here in posting some companies from my list.

1. Thinkific (or similar company) - I have a background working in higher education, so a company like this appeals to me.

2. Zwift (or similar company) - this company operates in the fitness industry, they do not seem to hire from my country so I'll have to expand my search a bit more to find other companies in health/wellness/fitness.

3. Logitech/Streamlabs (or similar company) - more of a tech focused company that has fun products/services and hopefully would in turn be a fun environment to work in.

What was a bit of a surprise to me was thinking about industries I was passionate about to expand my list of companies (and not just working off job boards). For example, I cycle and used to run a fair bit, so that directed some of my search towards companies involved in health/wellness/fitness. Some of their job postings might never hit the job boards I often look at.

I do want to keep working on my list and updating it, but I have a good start.

Collapse

dev_tgt profile image
Timothy Taylor

Oh, Zwift is cool. Good call. I see they have some internship programs too..

Any other companies in the fitness industry you came across? That is a direction I didn't think of for some reason (but am very interesting in).

Collapse

Daryl Nauman

So I don't have a very flushed out list yet, there are the regulars (e.g., Nike), but I am going to learn a bit more towards health & wellness companies and see what I come up with!

Collapse

Alex Saunders
  1. Cornell Univeristy (Lab of Ornithology) - Not surprised, this would be a dream job. Love birding, love the platform that Cornell has build to education and empassion people in bird conservation. Lots of cool data science opportunities as well.
  2. Nebo - A mid-sized agency in Atlanta. Love the culture and the vision. Lots of opportunity to grow and diversify.
  3. Audubon - Again, not surprised. Another impactful job and what looks like plenty of opportunity to grow the online presence in a meanful way.
Collapse

sne_hal_p profile image
Snehal Parate

Turning in late but here are the 3companies:

1. Headspace - Surprised because I didn't know they offered Frontend Developer roles. This one is a dream company considering their mission and culture they have to offer.
  2. Pinterest - Not surprised, I would love to work here! Their focus is not only just on product but also care about interests of their employees.
  3. Spotify - Not surprised, Great culture, unique hiring process. Surprised that they offer Flexible Public Holidays. Their product and the process simply inspires me!
Collapse

Alex Saunders

I was hoping to get some advice on this search. This will be a new field for me, having spent the last 30 years in environmental conservation and animal husbandry. I've got two paths:
1) Use my previous experience and target companies directly or tangentally involved in conservation.
2) Find a large, diverse team to help me build my skill set and expose me to a diverse tech stack.
Any thoughts?

Collapse

Daryl Nauman

Hi Alex, I am no expert on this but I think either of the two options you've listed are worth exploring. Switching into tech leveraging while using your previous experience in conservation may help you get in the door; I know this is part of the approach I've used with some luck. That said, a position in a larger company that is open to those making a career change that has the structure to mentor new developers can also be appealing.

Collapse

Alex Saunders

Thanks Daryl.