CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for [#CNC2022 "Start Coding" Cohort 1] What are your coding goals?
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeNewbie Team

Posted on

[#CNC2022 "Start Coding" Cohort 1] What are your coding goals?

This thread is for participants in Cohort 1 of #CNC2022's "Start Coding" Challenge.

Mission 1 Discussion Thread

After you've completed the reading and exercises in your Mission 1 email, respond to the following prompts...

1. What are your coding goals?
2. What does successful learning look like to you?
3. How do you plan to measure your success?
4. Do you have any particular timeline/deadline for learning to code?

Scan through the comments after you've posted your own and interact with 1-2 other people. Don't forget to follow these people on CodeNewbie Community if you aren't already! 

Congrats on challenging yourself to Start Coding! If you have any questions about the challenge overall, head to the Start Coding Help Thread. For any technical questions throughout the challenge (or in general) write a #help post on CodeNewbie Community or DEV and share with the community!

Top comments (86)

Collapse

dcsljd profile image
Ron Woodman
  1. What are your coding goals? My coding goals include being able to create websites that are basic to medium in complexity.
  2. What does successful learning look like to you? Being entertained while learning and retaining new information.
  3. How do you plan to measure your success? By how anxious I am to learn more.
  4. Do you have any particular timeline/deadline for learning to code? I would like to gain some type of proficiency in coding within a year or so.
Collapse

earlpfau profile image
Earl Pfau

I like your goals Ron. I am currently a computer science student at a University and for me I really dont know what i want to do with my programming skills. So for me at this time i am looking just to build up my tool box as much as i can.

Collapse

technomom profile image
Cyn Newman

Your goals sound very realistic!

Collapse

leekwamboka profile image
Leonorah

Hello Ron, I love that you see success as enjoyment while learning. It really is essential that we love what we are doing. I also have a one year deadline to gain proficiency in my goals. I wish you all the best in this journey.

Collapse

shweta6 profile image
Shweta

Hey loved the 3rd one. Definitely same with me. I'm already a CS student but just dont know where to start or where to go with the skills that I have.

Collapse

tina_vieira1820 profile image
Tina Vieira
  1. What are your coding goals? l goals are to learn as much as I can. I find it very interesting, but I still wonder if this is something that I would actually be good at. My goal is to figure out if I can be good at coding, and if I can take it to the next level. As of right now, I feel like there are so many terms that I don't know and it's all a jumbled mess. I have an "idea" what to do, but I'm not sure where to start.
  2. What does successful learning look like to you? For me, success will be any knowledge that I can gain (and retain) from this Cohort. I want to start coding, and I want to have a better basis for what I'm doing.
  3. How do you plan to measure your success? For me it will just be a personal comfort level. I will know if I am picking up concepts better than I previously understood them. In my mind, if I feel stronger then I am.
  4. Do you have any particular timeline/deadline for learning to code? No, but I would like to develop my skills pretty significantly over the next several months. Before I return to school in the fall, I'd like to be more proficient.
Collapse

technomom profile image
Cyn Newman

Hi Tina! Have you considered using flashcards to study the terms that confuse you? How will you measure retention?

Collapse

earlpfau profile image
Earl Pfau

Tina, I agree there are so many different terms used in programming that can make one bounce their head off of walls. What are you going to school for?

Collapse

Tina Vieira

Nothing as of yet. I currently teach Computer Science and I am looking to better my skills. I am considering a masters in Computer Science at the University of West Florida. We will see...

Collapse

mmadz profile image
M&M 👩🏾‍💻
  1. What are your coding goals? I would like to confidently know HTML,CSS and hopefully the basics of Javascript. I want to create a few projects with the languages to make sure I am understanding the language being taught. Change my career path.

2. What does successful learning look like to you?Success to me is having fun with the learning process and get over hurdles i would once have trouble with before.

3. How do you plan to measure your success?I measure my success by my consistency. If i'm able to squeeze in some time in everyday to code, my skills can only continue to grow.

4. Do you have any particular timeline/deadline for learning to code? I want to have started a project by middle of the year, get a portfolio started with what I know eventually use it to gain a new career.

Collapse

dayryanm profile image
Ryan Day

I'm measuring success the same way. Balancing all my work/life comittments can be tough so I'm comitted to keeping a consistent coding habit built into that routine!

Collapse

iamdavidjames profile image
Abaraoha David

Commitment to consistency is what I hope to build this time. Too many failed attempts but I'll succeed this time. 🤞

Thread Thread

dayryanm profile image
Ryan Day

You got this! Consistency is key!

Thread Thread

Abaraoha David

Thank you.

Collapse

Tina Vieira

I agree with you both...
My calendar is ALWAYS packed, so I am probably nuts for taking on one more thing :-)

Thread Thread

dayryanm profile image
Ryan Day

That is exactly how I feel lol. Trying to schedule the proper amount of time is TOUGH

Collapse

thewebking profile image
Kingsley Odibendi

1) I want to be able to fully understand and retain advanced Html and Css concepts and possibly basic JS concepts in the next 6 months

2) Successful learning to me is being able to understand concepts and teach to others

• Also being able to build simple to complex projects without watching tutorials.

3) Personally, if I don’t feel overwhelmed on a blank editor and being able to bring my ideas to well written lines of code. It’s a massive win for me.

4) No serious deadlines, but I’m looking forward to having a portfolio with top notch projects and possibly land a remote job before the year runs out.

Collapse

Abaraoha David

Same here too... especially being able to build something entirely without looping through tutorials.

Are you on twitter? I'll love to connect.

Collapse

thewebking profile image
Kingsley Odibendi

Uhm, no for now buh we could connect on linkedin if you there
linkedin.com/in/kingsley-odibendi-...

Thread Thread

Abaraoha David

I am but I've not used it in a while.

Thread Thread

thewebking profile image
Kingsley Odibendi

Okay...i don’t often use it tho
What to do as the two aren’t convenient for us both?

Thread Thread

Abaraoha David

I'll revisit my LinkedIn and connect and maybe we'll continue on here for now.

Thread Thread

thewebking profile image
Kingsley Odibendi

Alright no problems

Collapse

owaji profile image
Owaji-inyagham Ogbuluijah

What are your coding goals?
My coding goals are as follows: to understand the concepts of programming; and to tinker recreating some some simple and complex websites.

What does successful learning look like to you?
Successful learning to me is being able to teach the topic to other people.

How do you plan to measure your success?
I plan to measure my success by being able to figure out solutions to problems with minimal loop into tutorials.

Do you have any particular timeline/deadline for learning to code?
Yes. I wish to learn the basic tools of building a website in 4 months.
I know my timeline might be to short but I am prepared to work twice as much to achieve it.

Collapse

sweetkeetweets profile image
Kierra Miner

great goals

Collapse

anthonywigrimes profile image
Anthony Grimes
  1. What are your coding goals? To switch career paths, into a programming role.
  2. What does successful learning look like to you? Solving problems through coding, while struggling a bit.
  3. How do you plan to measure your success? Tracking the amount time I spend coding and the number of projects I build.
  4. Do you have any particular timeline/deadline for learning to code? My self-imposed timeline is 6 to 12 months.
Collapse

dayryanm profile image
Ryan Day

I'm also considering a potential career shift. I've been enjoying what I've learned in coding so far and would love to find more flexible work opportunities in the future.

Collapse

randkn profile image
Randy Knight

I can appreciate that, Ryan. I'm hoping to eventually obtaining a decent remote work position in web development.

Collapse

jordonrosedev profile image
Jordon Gonzalez

I am also trying to switch careers into a programming role! Good luck to you on your journey.

Collapse

jay2000 profile image
Jay Parmar

Why are you learning to code?I want to start learning to code because i want to be better in it and become a successful SDE.
What’s your goal?
What’s a tangible learn-to-code goal you hope to reach in 6 months? learn development build projects and open source them in github and enhance my profile. 12 months?contribute to open source project in large scale organisation.
What does successful learning look like to you? Is it about building a bunch of projects, having a deeper understanding of a particular technology, passing a certification, something else? Visualize and write down what success looks like to you. end of the day it's all about satisfation in the work you do and living a balanced developer life.
How will you measure that success? Is it about the amount of time spent, badges collected, courses completed? Are there tools you can use to track your learning so that you can measure your progress and document your success? by the dark green squares in github profile and the grown knowledge in software development industry .

Do you have a timeline, or any deadlines, associated with your learning goals? Do you need to pass an exam by a certain day? Do you need to start applying for jobs by a certain time? Do want to finish a project on a particular date? Jot down any due dates or important time-related criteria. i will try to develop all the required skills within span of 1 to 1.5 years of time.

Collapse

technomom profile image
Cyn Newman • Edited
  1. Why are you learning to code? I want to start learning to code because I want to be a better support engineer, and I’d like to move into development some day.
  2. What’s your goal? What’s a tangible learn-to-code goal you hope to reach in 6 months? Create at least one project from scratch that’s published on GitHub and re-do one of my old websites using current standards. 12 months? Add two more GitHub projects.
  3. What does successful learning look like to you? Is it about building a bunch of projects, having a deeper understanding of a particular technology, passing a certification, something else? Visualize and write down what success looks like to you. It’s about building a fair number of projects, yes, but that’s only to demonstrate understanding of JavaScript and Python.
  4. How will you measure that success? Is it about the amount of time spent, badges collected, courses completed? Are there tools you can use to track your learning so that you can measure your progress and document your success?** I’ve maintained my weekly goal of studying at least four days a week at Codecademy for over six months in a row. I intend to continue that. I’d like to re-start and finish their full-stack developer curriculum.**
  5. Do you have a timeline, or any deadlines, associated with your learning goals? Do you need to pass an exam by a certain day? Do you need to start applying for jobs by a certain time? Do want to finish a project on a particular date? Jot down any due dates or important time-related criteria. I don’t have a specific due date.
Collapse

clintonstrange profile image
Clint Strange

Hi Cyn, it sounds like you have a great foundation. You got this!!!

Collapse

gtwy profile image
Vladimir Rybalsky
  1. What are your coding goals? Use programming in everyday life.
  2. What does successful learning mean to you? The knowledge gained from the studied material that I can apply in the future.
  3. How do you plan to measure your success? I need a roll! )
  4. Do you have any specific deadlines/deadlines for learning to code? I am constantly learning when I have time.
Collapse

jseda85 profile image
Jeffrey Seda
  1. What are your coding goals? My coding goals is to become a front end developer and land my first full time role by the end of this year and then eventually dive into app development
  2. What does successful learning look like to you? I believe being able to retain as much as possible by being able to implement it well when I code.
  3. How do you plan to measure your success? I plan to measure my success by being able to build an entire site using HTMM, CSS and JAVASCRIPT all from scratch
  4. Do you have any particular timeline/deadline for learning to code? Ideally 8 months from this month but realistically if I study hard Id like to be ready for employment by the end of the year.
Collapse

dastiles profile image
charles madhuku

1) What are your coding goals? My coding goals is to create a successful python and flutter blog using react framework. I also want to publish Android app to google playstore
2) What successful learning look like to you? For me successful learning is when I am able to teach others what I have learned also to implement it
3)How do you plan to measure your success?I plan to measure my success with how much projects I have implemented and deployed and also if I get a job
4)Do you have any particular timeline for learning to code? My timeline is this whole year of 2022

Collapse

tdb90 profile image
Taylor B.

Why are you learning to code? I want to learn to code because I've always wanted to learn.

What’s your goal? Ultimately I want to be able to create my own mobile app and/or website.

What’s a tangible learn-to-code goal you hope to reach in 6 months? My goal is to be able to create a website on the front end and back end.

What does successful learning look like to you? I would love to learn how to create a website on the backend and front end. If I can do this successfully then I'll feel confident in my skills to code.

How will you measure that success? I'm dedicating 1 hour a day to coding. If I can complete my 60 minutes and walk away with a better understanding and being able to apply what I learned, that's a win.

Do you have a timeline, or any deadlines, associated with your learning goals? I wanted to be able to code my own website in 6 months.

Collapse

bevomac profile image
Bev McGhee

Why are you learning to code?I want to start learning to code because want to change careers.
What’s your goal?
What’s a tangible learn-to-code goal you hope to reach in 6 months? I want to have a solid grasp. 12 months? I want to have a job.
What does successful learning look like to you? Is it about building a bunch of projects, having a deeper understanding of a particular technology, passing a certification, something else? Visualize and write down what success looks like to you. Grasping and understanding the concepts. Being able to create with what I know.
How will you measure that success? Is it about the amount of time spent, badges collected, courses completed? Are there tools you can use to track your learning so that you can measure your progress and document your success? I will measure success on projects completed. Each with added difficulty.

Do you have a timeline, or any deadlines, associated with your learning goals? Do you need to pass an exam by a certain day? Do you need to start applying for jobs by a certain time? Do want to finish a project on a particular date? Jot down any due dates or important time-related criteria. I would love to work somewhere by the end of the year.

Collapse

srhatcher profile image
Sr.Hatcher • Edited

I'm one day late but here i am:
1-Why are you learning to code?
Because i want to make games! it may sound childish but i've always wanted to that. Anyway, my plan B is to be a frontend developer, and i also want to be experienced in backend. oh, and i really like cybersecurity. there are a lot of things that i want to learn but i'm focusing on these three fields (game developer, web developer and cybercurity).

2-What's your goal?
I would really love to work for a company that makes games (Bethesda, Capcom, CD project red, etc). I also want to be a professional in making web pages and cybersecurity. I'm aiming to create my own website as my own resume. make my own indie game and be a completely professional in the cybersecurity world.

3-What does succesful learning look like to you?
doing exciting projects that make me learn new things and understanding how things work! i can only learn doing exercises.

4-How will you measure that progress?
passing the courses i'm going through is a good way to measure my learning, but another good way to measure my progress is completing a "skill tree" that i made for myself, describing the languages and technologies that i want to learn. and the final one can be starting and completing my own projects (the indie game, my resume-website, etc).

5-do you have a timeline or any deadlines?
I dont have any, but i'm sure i will be a frontend developer (i want to develop plan B first to get a job faster xD) by the end of the year, i'll have my resume-website and after that i'll search for a job. at the same time i'll be working on my game developer skills to start creating my first game.

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

You're not late at all! You have until the end of the week if you want to stay on-schedule and want to be eligible for the raffle at the end of the challenge — or as long as you want if that doesn't matter to you 😊

Collapse

srhatcher profile image
Sr.Hatcher

oh thank you! it's good to know it n.n

Collapse

dayryanm profile image
Ryan Day

Sounds like we've got similar "Why's." Working from home made me not only realize how much I enjoyed working in my own space, but also how much more I could prioritize personal life and relationships when I wasn't commuting 3ish hours every day. I would love to get into a permanent role that allowed me that same flexibility. I certainly don't miss the Covid shutdowns but I miss how much more time I got to spend with my family.