CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for [#CNC2022 "Start Coding" Cohort 1] What are your coding goals?
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeNewbie Team

Posted on

[#CNC2022 "Start Coding" Cohort 1] What are your coding goals?

This thread is for participants in Cohort 1 of #CNC2022's "Start Coding" Challenge.

Mission 1 Discussion Thread

After you've completed the reading and exercises in your Mission 1 email, respond to the following prompts...

1. What are your coding goals?
2. What does successful learning look like to you?
3. How do you plan to measure your success?
4. Do you have any particular timeline/deadline for learning to code?

Scan through the comments after you've posted your own and interact with 1-2 other people. Don't forget to follow these people on CodeNewbie Community if you aren't already!Β 
Β 

Congrats on challenging yourself to Start Coding! If you have any questions about the challenge overall, head to the Start Coding Help Thread. For any technical questions throughout the challenge (or in general) write a #help post on CodeNewbie Community or DEV and share with the community!

Latest comments (86)

Collapse

utsavdh profile image
Utsav Dhungana

Why are you learning to code?I want to start learning to code because I want to make my career in the tech industry.

What’s your goal?
What’s a tangible learn-to-code goal you hope to reach in 6 months? I hope to start with the basic/fundamentals of programming and get to the point where I can build an application and build a good portfolio.

12 months? I hope to land a well paying job by the time I reach my 12 months of coding.

What does successful learning look like to you? Is it about building a bunch of projects, having a deeper understanding of a particular technology, passing a certification, something else? Visualize and write down what success looks like to you.
I think successful learning is having the confidence to indulge in projects without doubting oneself much about whether I can make it to the end or not.

How will you measure that success? Is it about the amount of time spent, badges collected, courses completed? Are there tools you can use to track your learning so that you can measure your progress and document your success?
The measurement for that success will be the amount of time spent as well as how well you understood the concept and could create a complete project.

Do you have a timeline, or any deadlines, associated with your learning goals? Do you need to pass an exam by a certain day? Do you need to start applying for jobs by a certain time? Do you want to finish a project on a particular date? Jot down any due dates or important time-related criteria.
Normally, I set my start date and end date to complete my learning. When I take some online courses(like Coursera) its mostly that I try to finish the course within the given deadline.

Collapse

ginnamwal profile image
Ginna Walker
  1. What are you coding goals? I want to start learning code because I have always found it interesting. I always seem to find an excuse why now wasn't a good time to start.

2. What's your goal? My six month goal is to learn how to make complex websites for both web2 and web3. My twelve month goal is to learn a different language and be able to code a new app or website with it.

3. What does successful learning look like it you? Successful learning to code to me, is seeing different projects I have completed along the way and how my skills have advanced. Passing and receiving a certificate validating my knowledge is another.

4. How will you measure that success? For me it will be a balance between coding projects/ time management / courses completed.

5. Do you have a timeline, or any deadlines, associated with your learning goals? No I do not. I generally enough coding and since I believe learning is a lifelong process I don't have any deadlines / timelines.

Collapse

jt802 profile image
JT802

I'm a little behind with this. Oops.

1. What are your coding goals? I'd like to get a job, hopefully remote as a junior dev.
  2. What does successful learning look like to you? Learning, for me, has always been a mix of visual and auditory. I do well with reading books and articles, at my own pace, and taking notes. I also enjoy lectures/videos, but I find I have to take notes by hand, because trying to listen to a lecture and type on my laptop at the same time doesn't work well for me.
  3. How do you plan to measure your success? By adding to my GitHub profile again, making better and more consistent commits.
  4. Do you have any particular timeline/deadline for learning to code? I have a little background with JS/HTML/CSS, and need to keep working there. I also want to learn basic Python, and work toward software QA with both JS and Python.
Collapse

silveralpaca profile image
SilverAlpaca
  1. What are your coding goals? My coding goal is to switch my career from IT support to developer. Start as front-end developer and then Full-Stack.
  2. What does successful learning look like to you? Can finish some projects by my own, and transfer my ideas to real web app/mobile app.
  3. How do you plan to measure your success? Get a job as a front-end developer.
  4. Do you have any particular timeline/deadline for learning to code? Would like to start applying job after 4 months. Hopefully will get one in the next 8-12 months.
Collapse

nickoliver profile image
Nick Oliver
  1. Why are you learning to code? I want to start learning to code because I want to learn new skills in order to gain flexibility and additional tools for my profession.
  2. What’s your goal? To finally learn to code with some level of skill and comprehension.
  3. What’s a tangible learn-to-code goal you hope to reach in: 6 months: I would like to gain a skill that reaches beyond simple cut and paste. 12 months: I would like to be able to write freehand.
  4. What does successful learning look like to you? Understanding WHAT I am writing, not merely using cut and paste values to copy and already solved issue.
  5. How will you measure that success? No tools currently - just knowing and satisfying myself as to my comprehension.
  6. Do you have a timeline No timeline, but I would like to have some progress recorded in 12 months or so.
Collapse

nickoliver profile image
Nick Oliver
  1. Why are you learning to code? I want to start learning to code because I want to learn new skills in order to gain flexibility and additional tools for my profession.
  2. What’s your goal? To Finally learn to code with some level of skill and comprehension.
  3. What’s a tangible learn-to-code goal you hope to reach in..... 6 months: I would like to gain a skill that reaches beyond simple cut and paste. 12 months: I would like to be able to write freehand.
  4. What does successful learning look like to you.... Understanding WHAT I am writing, not merely using cut and paste values to copy an already solved issue.
  5. How will you measure that success... No tools currently - just knowing and satisfying myself as to my comprehension.
  6. Do you have a timeline.... No timeline, but I would like to have some progress recorded in 12 months or so.
Collapse

bluedragn profile image
Anshuman Singh

1.What are your coding goals?
a. Learn front end: HTML, CSS, JavaScript
b. Front End Framework: Bootstrap, jQuery, SASS ,React, Redux
c. Learn how to work with data and API: D3,JSON API and AJAX
d. Learn version control: GIT

2.What does successful learning look like to you?
a. Deep and clear understanding technology.
b. Completing all the courses and projects on time.
c. enjoying the process of learning.

3.How will you measure that success?
Be able to get a internship or a entry level job as a front end developer at the end
of my learning.
I am documenting my learning journey using "google doc".
For the learning part I using the learning techniques from the course "Learning
How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects" which is
available on coursera.

4.Do you have any particular timeline/deadline for learning to code?
I think 6 months of time will be enough to achieve my goals.

Collapse

dulyaaa profile image
Dulya Perera
  1. Why are you learning to code? I want to start learning to code because I would like to contribute for free open source projects and non-free open source projects while helping the society to do their day to day works easily by making creative, novelty software.

2. What’s your goal? What’s a tangible learn-to-code goal you hope to reach:
    In 6 months? Learn more about mobile applications developments using new technology and apply them to real world problem.
    In 12 months? Work as a full stack developer in technical industry and learn furthermore about the hardware developments like Arduino and Raspberry Pi.

3. What does successful learning look like to you? Successful learning means to me where I have developed the innovative, amazing project which I have never done before with having a deeper better understanding of a technology. And earning a certificate is a sort of feeling to feel that I have succeed in learning new aspects.

4. How will you measure that success? Well, I would happy when I'm seeing the total of course content completed with no issue/problem with better understanding of each point.

5. Do you have a timeline, or any deadlines, associated with your learning goals? Well, most of time I work with deadline coz' I don't want to postpone the work/project.

Collapse

rndmarquez profile image
Ron
  1. What are your coding goals? My current goals are to learn the fundamentals and concepts in order to create and understand code. I current work as a tester but is very manual and would like to knowledge to automate test or even move into other areas such as devops or cyber.
  2. What does successful learning look like to you? Success to me would be learning to solve problems with code and finding areas of interest where I can create projects on my free time. I find that I will learn concepts but have no application for them.
  3. How do you plan to measure your success? Success would be measured by projects I can solve with the lessons/concepts I have learned.
  4. Do you have any particular timeline/deadline for learning to code? Timeline would be to have a good grasp of coding fundamentals and concept by the end of the year.
Collapse

iamdavidjames profile image
Abaraoha David

What are your coding goals?
My Goals are:

1. To successfully complete this challenge.
  2. To build my own fully functional website/App
  3. To be efficient enough to teach others

What does successful learning look like to you?
My ability to understand and remember the topics and lessons thought and applying them.

How do you plan to measure your success?
When I'm able to complete this challenge.

Do you have any particular timeline/deadline for learning to code?
Timeline, Yes!
Deadline, No i don't.
I believe coding is a life long learning process as long as new things are developed daily.

Collapse

tina_vieira1820 profile image
Tina Vieira

What Python bootcamp are you working on? I'm also an educator that may be looking for a career change...or at least a side gig.

Collapse

jordonrosedev profile image
Jordon Gonzalez
  1. What are your coding goals?

My coding goals are first to create financial, location and time freedom. I want to become a front end web developer and look into the transition to video game development as a game developer. I want to learn different languages that are specific to my interests and job and that will give me the skills and knowledge I need to feel comfortable and capable in this field.

Successful learning to me means the ability to retain the information and then replicate your own version of what you learned. Its easy to memorize and replicate what you learn but to apply it with your own features and structure and style shows that you are actually taking the information in and are able to apply to real life. I also feel like successful learning looks like joy, intrigue and problem solving. When I am learning successfully, I am having fun while doing it, I am excited to learn what comes next and I look forward to solving a problem that I created in the first place.

I plan to measure my success with regular real life challenges that are at the level I am currently at.

I want to learn to code quickly so that I can make a career change into tech. Even if my first job in tech isn't as a developer, I want to have the baseline knowledge so that I can relate to the field as I continue learning and immerse myself in the environment. All day when I'm at my career job, all I can think about is coding and the next time I will be able to learn and practice something new.

Collapse

ciesluk profile image
Tom Cieslukowski
  1. What are your coding goals? I want to review and learn new web development skills. I want to keep working on learning and enhancing my knowledge in JavaScript. 2. What does successful learning look like to you? Gaining a deeper understanding of a particular language. Being motivated to keep going and keep coding everyday.
  2. How do you plan to measure your success? Tracking how much I am coding and how much time I am spending on problems or projects using Notion.
  3. Do you have any particular timeline/deadline for learning to code? Currently, I am looking to enhance my JavaScript knowledge within 4 months, at that time I will be looking for a new job.
Collapse

bisrategebriel profile image
Bisrategebriel Fisseha
  1. What are your coding goals? My coding goal is to make sure I transform my ideas into reality by actually building them.
    β€’ Improved and deeper understanding of concepts
    β€’ Building products [Bringing Ideas into reality]
    β€’ Understand concepts about certain technology in a way that’s fun

β€’ By the level of self-confidence, I have, in order to develop projects,
    β€’ Being able to produce a significant number of projects from idea to reality
    β€’ Raise understanding on technical information

β€’ 6 – 12 months of proficiency

Collapse

leekwamboka profile image
Leonorah
  1. What are your coding goals? My goals are to transition into tech and to become a full stack web developer.
  2. What does successful learning look like to you? Successful learning to me is defined by acquiring enough knowledge and skills to achieve the set learning goals.
  3. How do you plan to measure your success? I would have successfully learned after I perfect my front and back end skills. I will set some goals along my journey and keep ticking them as I go. Ticking off every step is what will be my evaluation.
  4. Do you have any particular timeline/deadline for learning to code? I want to have learned and perfected my front end skills by the end of this year, to be confident in my skills and qualified for job application before I move into learning backend.