CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for [#CNC2022 "Start Coding" Cohort 1] What coding resources do you plan to use?
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeNewbie Team

Posted on

[#CNC2022 "Start Coding" Cohort 1] What coding resources do you plan to use?

This thread is for participants in Cohort 1 of #CNC2022's "Start Coding" Challenge.

Mission 3 Discussion Thread

After you've completed the reading and exercises in your Mission 3 email (to be sent at 1:30 PM UTC on Monday, February 14, 2022), respond to the following prompts...

1. What resources are you going to lean on throughout your coding journey?
2. Why did you pick these in particular?
3. If you need an accountability partner, say so! If you want to be someone else's accountability partner who's looking for one, respond to their comment. You can share what you're working on with this person and ask for their feedback... or encouragement.

Scan through the comments after you've posted your own and interact with 1-2 other people. If you've used a coding resource someone else has mentioned in the past, tell them what you thought of it and any tips you might have. Don't forget to follow these people on CodeNewbie Community if you aren't already! 

Congrats on challenging yourself to Start Coding! If you have any questions about the challenge overall, head to the Start Coding Help Thread. For any technical questions throughout the challenge (or in general) write a #help post on CodeNewbie Community or DEV and share with the community!

Top comments (33)

Collapse

dastiles profile image
charles madhuku • Edited

1.What resources are you going to lean on throughout your coding journey?
. YouTube tutorials
. Freecodecamp
. Coding books
. Dev and Medium blog tutorials
. Udemy

2.Why did you pick these in particular?
I picked these in particular because I can afford them since I still a student and my budget is still limited

1. If you need an accountability partner, say so! If you want to be someone else's accountability partner who's looking for one, respond to their comment. You can share what you're working on with this person and ask for their feedback... or encouragement.

Yeah I am looking for accountability partner

Collapse

owaji profile image
Owaji-inyagham Ogbuluijah

Hello, @charles Madhuku, I would like to be your accountability partner.

Collapse

dastiles profile image
charles madhuku

Thank you that's nice

Collapse

iamdavidjames profile image
Abaraoha David

What would you be learning?

Collapse

dastiles profile image
charles madhuku

react js

Thread Thread

Abaraoha David • Edited

OK. I'll be learning React Js too but I want to understand Javascript properly first before I go into React.

Collapse

tdb90 profile image
Taylor B. • Edited

Topic
I’m going to focus my learning on web development and app development.

Language/Framework
More specifically, I’m going to start by learning Javascript (with HTML and CSS on the side)

Resources
My top 5 resources for learning this are:
Codeacademy
Skillshare
CodePen
WebDev101
YouTube

I'm using these resources because they are easily accessible to me and I like a good balance of lecture-style and practice to retain the info I'm learning.

Primary Resource
Of these, I’m going to start with Codeacademy.

Five-week Plan
Over the next five weeks, I hope to complete the following (lessons, courses, tutorials, etc.):

Week 1:Codeacademy: Learn Javascript Free Course for Beginners
Week 2: Web Fundamentals: HTML & CSS (Skillshare)
Week 3:Build a Website with HTML and CSS for Beginners (Skillshare)
Week 4:Shopify Theme Programming: Liquid, JSON and Javascript (Skillshare)
Week 5: CodePen Challenge Monthly Challenge

Personal Learning Tracker
I’m going to track my learning each week by logging what I learned each day in Trello.

I am in need of an accountability partner.

Collapse

dayryanm profile image
Ryan Day

Would love to hear your thoughts on the Codeacademy course. I'm in the market for some more structured courses to reinforce the fCC JavaScript lessons.

Collapse

srhatcher profile image
Sr.Hatcher

Hello! i'd pleased to be your partner, we will be learning the same subjects (JS, HTML and CSS). I'm here whenever you need me :)

Collapse

tdb90 profile image
Taylor B.

Hey Sr. Hatcher, let's do it!

Thread Thread

tdb90 profile image
Taylor B.

Hey Sr. Hatcher. I’m leaving the challenge. Sorry we didn’t get to connect more. Good luck!

Thread Thread

srhatcher profile image
Sr.Hatcher

Oh man, don't worry. If you ever return your code studies, i'll be here to help you :)

Collapse

ciesluk profile image
Tom Cieslukowski • Edited
  1. What resources are you going to lean on throughout your coding journey? I have many resources that I would like to utilize. Basically, the resources are DEV and CodeNewbie Blogs, FreeCodeCamp, YouTube videos, GitHub and I use Notion to take notes with.

2.Why did you pick these in particular? I picked these resources because I have prior knowledge of them and have used some in the past which has been successful for me. Also, most of these are low or no cost at all.

1. If you need an accountability partner, say so! If you want to be someone else's accountability partner who's looking for one, respond to their comment. You can share what you're working on with this person and ask for their feedback... or encouragement.
  • Yes, definitely looking for an accountability partner! I can also be someones accountability partner. I really like working as a team and being successful together.
Collapse

tdb90 profile image
Taylor B.

Hey Tom! Would you like to be accountability partners?

Collapse

ciesluk profile image
Tom Cieslukowski

Sure, Taylor!

Thread Thread

tdb90 profile image
Taylor B.

I'm completely new to coding so how do you want to do this lol

Thread Thread

ciesluk profile image
Tom Cieslukowski

lol ya! You can send me a message on my insta: ciesluk_codes

Thread Thread

tdb90 profile image
Taylor B.

Hey Tom! I’m leaving the challenge. Sorry we didn’t get connect. Good luck!

Collapse

bisrategebriel profile image
Bisrategebriel Fisseha

• Freecodecamp
  • Udemy
  • GitHub
  • YouTube Tutorials

• Ease of access
  • Self paced
  • Powers mix of guided and unguided resources
Collapse

dayryanm profile image
Ryan Day

I'm in the same boat, starting with freeCodeCamp and YouTube then maybe throwing in some Udemy courses when I need a bit more structure. I think some lecture style courses may really help me better grasp JavaScript.

Collapse

koshirok096 profile image
koshirok096
  1. freeCodeCamp and YouTube tutorials. Additionally, I also use Anki flashcard app to help memory retention.

2. From last year I’m using freeCodeCamp and I think it’s very good platform to learn the basics of Javascript etc. And I can find tons of practical tutorials on YouTube. I think using both resources could be good combination to improve skills.

3. Yes I’m looking for accountability partner if I have a chance. I’m not sure yet how, but I maybe share something about my coding things in this community in the future. Then I’ll appreciate if someone gives a feedback. Also I’m happy to talk with people who are walking on the same coding journey :)

Collapse

ellednera profile image
Raphael Jun Jie Jong • Edited

These are the resources that I'll be using throughout my coding journey:

• Programming Books
    • I have them for quite some time already and they're just right in front of me :) I find O'Reilly books useful.
  • Official / 3rd Party Library Documentation
    • This is very useful for exploring deeper on how specific things/concepts work
  • Blog Post, Facebook Group, Mailing List/Newsletter & Conference Videos
    • For miscellaneous stuff. Usually there are a lot of interesting things here.

I left out YouTube tutorial videos because I don't find them really useful especially for the language I'm learning.

Collapse

sweetkeetweets profile image
Kierra Miner
  1. So for resources I am using Youtube tutorials, library resources, freeCodcamp, Udemy

2. I chose these resources because they are easily accessible to me and I feel I can get the most out of them. I won't be using them all at one time obviously but I will have them available to me.

Collapse

jesseniamagdaleno profile image
jessenia-magdaleno
    I will be using
    •Udemy
    •FreeCodeCamp
    •GitHub

I chose these because low cost and self paced.

Collapse

dayryanm profile image
Ryan Day

Happy to see so many folks have the same "low-cost" and "self-paced" priorities I have! Glad to know I'm not alone! Trying to balance coding lessons with my FT job and other responsibilities can definitely be challenging!

Collapse

dayryanm profile image
Ryan Day

Oof, I really fell behind the last two weeks but I'm jumping back on the horse!

I'm focussing on powering through the freeCodeCamp JavaScript curriculum to start so I have somewhat of a foundation. After that, I'm planning to take advantage of a few paid courses to provide a bit more structure. I definitely think I need to go through the JavaScript fundamentals a few times to really grasp it all.

I'm starting with freeCodeCamp because I like the flexibility of being able to "learn on the go" and pick up lessons whenever I have time. That being said, I've definitely learned with JavaScript I benefit from a bit more structure so once I've grasped the introductory information from fCC I'd like to move onto more structured courses.

Collapse

dulyaaa profile image
Dulya Perera

Same here! Jumping back on the horse!

Collapse

Abaraoha David

I'll be leaning on:

• YouTube Tutorials
  • DEV blogs
  • Freecode Camp forums
  • Twitter too! (I was surprised at the help one could get from the community there, so I'll be on there too)

I can't afford any paid courses for now. So I'll stick with the free resources I can lay my hands on.

Why I'm choosing these aside the free part... I have a limited budget and these are what I can afford.

I'll love to have and also be an accountablity partner, so if you'll be learning CSS, Javascript, REACT. You can reach out to me. ✌️

Collapse

natdavison profile image
Natalie Davison

.The Odin Project
.FreeCodeCamp
.Udemy
.YouTube
.Documentation e.g. W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network

They are self-paced, highly rated and recommended for beginners, have a variety of learning methods and are either free or affordable with my limited budget.

Collapse

ginnamwal profile image
Ginna Walker

Topic
I'm going to focus my learning on app development.

Language/Framework
More specifically, I'm going to start by learning Python and building what I already know about Java and JavaScript.

Resources
My top 5 resources for learning this are:

1. Treehouse
  2. Codeacademy
  3. FreeCodeCamp
  4. Codewars
  5. EdX

Primary Resources
Of these, I'm going to start with FreeCodeCamp.

Five-week Plan
Over the next five weeks, I hope to complete the following ( lessons, courses, tutorials, etc. ):

• Week 1:CodePen for the week, one Dev post regarding what I have learned; a new lesson from one of the resources sites. Scheduling 1 hour of coding a day.
  • Week 2:CodePen for the week, two Dev posts regarding what I have learned; a new lesson from one of the resources sites. Scheduling 2 hours of coding a day.Decided on a new project to start.
  • Week 3:CodePen for the week, three Dev posts and a Facebook post regarding what I have learned; a new lesson from one of the resources sites. Scheduling 3 hours of coding a day. Work on the project I decided to start.
  • Week 4:CodePen for the week, four Dev posts and two Facebook posts regarding what I have learned; a new lesson from one of the resources sites. Scheduling 4 hours of coding a day. Work on the project I decided to start.
  • Week 5:CodePen for the week, five Dev posts, two Facebook posts, and answering one help question; a new lesson from one of the resources sites. Scheduling 5 hours of coding a day. Complete the project I decided to start and post on social media sites.Have completed the FreeCodeCamp Full stacks developer certification.

Personal Learning Tracker
I'm going to track my learning each week by utilizing google docs and using learning logs. My scheduling block time in my google calendar so that I stay organized. Regular pen and paper, along with utilizing blog posts ( on sites such as Dev, GitHub, CodePen etc. ) and updates along the way. So that I can look back and see how far I have come.

Collapse

shweta6 profile image
Shweta
    Mostly freecodecamp, Youtube videos, coursera, dataquest

They are really interactive with quizzes and homeworks. And YouTube has great content.

3. If you need an accountability partner, say so! If you want to be someone else's accountability partner who's looking for one, respond to their comment. You can share what you're working on with this person and ask for their feedback... or encouragement.
    I would love an partnet to work with

Collapse

dulyaaa profile image
Dulya Perera • Edited

1. What resources are you going to lean on throughout your coding journey?

• YouTube tutorials
  • Medium and Dev blogs
  • Udemy
  • Freecodecamp

2. Why did you pick these in particular?
Most of above mentioned resources are free I can afford it to learn new things.

3. If you need an accountability partner, say so! If you want to be someone else's accountability partner who's looking for one, respond to their comment. You can share what you're working on with this person and ask for their feedback... or encouragement.

Definitely, looking for a accountability partner.

Collapse

srhatcher profile image
Sr.Hatcher • Edited

What resources are you going to lean on throughout your coding journey?
1-Platzi
2-Udemy
3-Documentation
4-Youtube

Why did you pick these in particular?
I have paid a subscription on platzi for one year, so i have access to the courses i want. I also have some courses on Udemy that i haven't watched. But i honestly expect to learn all what i need on Platzi. My only constraint is time.

I would be pleased to help anyone in this challenge, just follow me an i'll follow you back. i'm learning Javascript , HTML and CSS to be a front-end developer :)