CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for [#CNC2022 "Start Coding" Cohort 1] What language/framework have you decided to learn?
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeNewbie Team

Posted on

[#CNC2022 "Start Coding" Cohort 1] What language/framework have you decided to learn?

This thread is for participants in Cohort 1 of #CNC2022's "Start Coding" Challenge.

Mission 2 Discussion Thread

After you've completed the reading and exercises in your Mission 2 email (to be sent on Monday, February 7), respond to the following prompts...

1. What language or framework have you decided to learn?
2. Why did you pick it?

Scan through the comments after you've posted your own and interact with 1-2 other people. Don't forget to follow these people on CodeNewbie Community if you aren't already! 

Congrats on challenging yourself to Start Coding! If you have any questions about the challenge overall, head to the Start Coding Help Thread. For any technical questions throughout the challenge (or in general) write a #help post on CodeNewbie Community or DEV and share with the community!

Latest comments (55)

Collapse

owaji profile image
Owaji-inyagham Ogbuluijah

Which platform/field would you like to work in?
I find web development very interesting and I would like to work in it.

What do you want to build first?
I want to build a website that can track every year, month, week, day, hour, minute and second of my existence on earth.

My priority in learning to code is?
I am learning to code because I want to change my career path.

Do you know HTML and CSS?
Yes, I have gone through some tutorials on HTML and CSS.

Do you like to be more self-sufficient when learning things or completing projects? Or do you like to work in groups?
I like to learn new topics or concepts personally before applying it to a group work.

Collapse

ginnamwal profile image
Ginna Walker
  1. Which platform/ field would you like to work in? I want to work in web, mobile or game development. In regards to language I would like to focus on Python.

2. What do you want to build first? I would like to build an app first. Mobile App or Web App doesn't really matter to me.

3. My priority with learning to code is? Simply having fun, writing efficient code, and being able to use my knowledge for practical application. I would like to be able to take that knowledge and help other victims of Domestic Violence who are also victims of cyber stalking or who have had their identity stolen or accounts hacked by their abusers.

4. Do you know CSS and/or HTML? Yes, I do.

5. Do you like to be more self-sufficient when earning things or completing projects? Or do you like to work in groups? I like completing projects along the way but with enough time to complete them on my own timeline. Just because my life is so busy, it's easier for me to complete things on my own timeline. Sometimes the only time I have to myself is at 2 am lol.

Collapse

owaji profile image
Owaji-inyagham Ogbuluijah

What language or framework have you decided to learn?
I have decided to learn JavaScript and two of it's frameworks (React and Nodejs).

Why did you pick it?
Well, reading through the features of each of the programming languages, I figured that JavaScript is not just easy to grasp but it's also newbie friendly. I also chose this language because of it's ability to be used on different platforms.

Collapse

tdb90 profile image
Taylor B.

All of the fields sound interesting lol. I'm most interested in web and mobile app development.

I want to get familiar with building websites then shift to app development.

I'm learning to code for fun and gain a skill that I can use in the future. My goal is to be a practicing hobbyist and build websites/apps in the future.

Do you know HTML or CSS?
No, not yet. I've played around with it on an app called Mimo but haven't applied it in the real world.

Do you like to be more self-sufficient when learning things or completing projects? Or do you like to work in groups?

I think it depends on what I'm learning and what the task is. Usually, I like to learn on my own first and reach out to a group or ask for help when I need it or get stuck.

Collapse

tdb90 profile image
Taylor B. • Edited

What language have you decided to learn? Why did you pick it?

I'm going to focus on learning Javascript because I want to learn how to build websites and eventually mobile apps. I also appreciate that there are resources I can use as I'm learning. I am completely new to coding so this makes me feel at ease. I also want to learn HTML and CSS along the way.

Collapse

homan13 profile image
Kevin Homan

Sorry, bit late to the boat here, none the less I wanted to get my homework in, even if its a little late;

1. What language or framework have you decided to learn? - Python, no framework (at this time)
  2. Why did you pick it? - as the language that Boto3 is built on, and one of the available languages for the CDK, I think Python is a great start for me. Learning it will allow me to become more effective helping my customers with their Infrastructure as Code needs.
Collapse

srhatcher profile image
Sr.Hatcher

1-I really want to start coding videogames with c# but i also know that i need to learn something faster that will give me faster results, so i'm choosing Javascript and become a web developer for this challenge! the framework that i will work with is react! i really like the idea of being a web developer. After getting the things that i need in my personal life i'll start my way as a game dev.

2- i picked it because i heard there are a lot of opportunities if you know how to code with them, so i want my situation to get better :)

if you need my help here, i would be delighted to help you!

Collapse

natdavison profile image
Natalie Davison

I've decided to focus on JavaScript to begin with.

2. Why did you pick it?
It's a good place for a beginner to start and is one of the most popular front-end languages at present. Also, a good majority of developer roles in my area require that you at least have basic knowledge of it.

Collapse

mrperkz profile image
Tity Junior Martin Tshabalala
  1. What language or framework have you decided to learn? I have decided to learn Ruby and Ruby on Rails.
  2. Why did you pick it? I choose Ruby, mainly cause it seems quite intriguing and I really don't have any experience in terms of coding(in any language or framework), though I am looking to build sites, so I am hoping that I gain knowledge in the language I have chosen, I am hoping that it shall give way to more opportunities for me to pursue other languages and frameworks after I have a solid framework, because my main end goal is to start a tech start-up
Collapse

bevomac profile image
Bev McGhee

I want to work in [web/mobile/enterprise/game] development Web and Mobile Development (JS then React). Eventually Swift.

I want to build a [website or web app], [mobile app]
A website that's fully responsive. Then a mobile app.

My priority with learning to code is...
Having fun? Building websites quickly? Having a widely used/practical skill? Writing efficient code?
Learning code efficiently to land a job.

Do you know CSS and/or HTML?
If not, that’s totally fine! If you don’t know CSS or HTML, these are good starting points.
Yes, a summary of most but not detailed.

Jot down your thoughts on your learning style here. Certain frameworks/languages have active communities with lots of resources while others require a bit more independence.
I would love to finish projects but I'm not opposed to starting another and completing it later. As long as my knowledge grows. I don't mind groups as long as the group is a nice and helpful one.

Collapse

iamdavidjames profile image
Abaraoha David • Edited

I've decided to learn Javascript and also look into the Bootstrap and React frameworks (to decide which I'll like better) because it aligns with my goal of going into Web Development.

Collapse

srhatcher profile image
Sr.Hatcher

i see we have the same goals, if you need my help someday in this path of becoming a web developer i'll be glad to help you :)

Collapse

iamdavidjames profile image
Abaraoha David

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind.

Collapse

jt802 profile image
JT802
    I have some experience with JS/HTML/CSS, and I'm going to continue with those on my own. As for this Cohort, I want to learn basic Python.

2. Why did you pick it?
    I wrote my first bit of Python back in 2014. I don't even remember what it was, but I do remember it worked. With all the programmatic changes to OSes and coding languages in the years since, I'm not sure it would work these days. I'd like to learn basic Python with a goal of using my combined skills in a software testing/QA job.

Collapse

koshirok096 profile image
koshirok096
    I decided to learn Javascript, and planning to start learning REACT later on

2. Why did you pick it?
    The reason why I picked JS and REACT is, I want to learn the basic frontend skillset and JS and REACT is highly demanded in its field.

Collapse

srhatcher profile image
Sr.Hatcher

great! we'll be on the same road, i'm here whenever you need help :)

Collapse

koshirok096 profile image
koshirok096

Thanks, buddy! :)

Collapse

ellednera profile image
Raphael Jun Jie Jong
    I decided to learn Perl for web development.

2. Why did you pick it?
    I started learning Perl a year ago and it was fun. I like the way it works. There is this CGI module which I learned not long ago and I would like to learn more and try out some of the features of the CGI module to make web pages work. I don't mind learning old-school stuff, because I'm still learning quite a lot on how the web works through it.
    I'm thinking to use Perl to serve as the backend, while the frontend I'll just use HTML and some CSS, or Bootstrap maybe.
    There is a popular web framework for Perl called Mojolicious, but I'll leave that for another time :)

Collapse

dayryanm profile image
Ryan Day

I'm definitely enjoying the self-paced courses I've been taking but couldn't agree more with the need to talk through problems with folks. I've been doing a lot more YouTube courses where someone talks me through the problems as opposed to just the written challenges. That's been helping me a lot more.