CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for [#CNC2022 "Start Coding" Cohort 1] What language/framework have you decided to learn?
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeNewbie Team

Posted on

[#CNC2022 "Start Coding" Cohort 1] What language/framework have you decided to learn?

This thread is for participants in Cohort 1 of #CNC2022's "Start Coding" Challenge.

Mission 2 Discussion Thread

After you've completed the reading and exercises in your Mission 2 email (to be sent on Monday, February 7), respond to the following prompts...

1. What language or framework have you decided to learn?
2. Why did you pick it?

Scan through the comments after you've posted your own and interact with 1-2 other people. Don't forget to follow these people on CodeNewbie Community if you aren't already! 

Congrats on challenging yourself to Start Coding! If you have any questions about the challenge overall, head to the Start Coding Help Thread. For any technical questions throughout the challenge (or in general) write a #help post on CodeNewbie Community or DEV and share with the community!

Top comments (55)

Collapse

ciesluk profile image
Tom Cieslukowski
  1. What language or framework have you decided to learn? The language that I have decided to learn is JavaScript. 2) Why did you pick it? The reason I picked JavaScript is because it is easy to learn. It will also help me to branch out and learn React, TypeScript, etc. It will also help me to create more dynamic websites. Lastly, it will help me to become a really good web developer some day! :)
Collapse

bisrategebriel profile image
Bisrategebriel Fisseha

That's fantastic! Tom. It's nice to have some friends who have similar interests.

Collapse

ciesluk profile image
Tom Cieslukowski

Yes, I agree with you Bisrategebriel Fisseha!

Collapse

clintonstrange profile image
Clint Strange

You got this, Tom. I also very interested in learning more about TypeScript!

Collapse

randkn profile image
Randy Knight

Hi Tom, It seems like you and I share similar goals. I also wish to be a good webdev in the future. Good luck with your studies! 😎

Collapse

ciesluk profile image
Tom Cieslukowski

Thanks Randy! You too!

Collapse

anthonywigrimes profile image
Anthony Grimes • Edited
    I have decided to focus on JavaScript in the short term.

2. Why did you pick it?
    This will help build towards my ultimate goal in getting into web development. I also am learning more about HTML/CSS along the way.

Collapse

thatohgi profile image
thatohgi

I purchased a CSS and HTML book back in 2009 because I wanted to learn to code. I just now opened that book up the other day after startign this course. I know that I am in a better place to learn code now but I wish I hadn't waited 13 years to learn about the beautiful simplicity of HTML.

Collapse

dayryanm profile image
Ryan Day

Same here! I'm having a lot harder time grasping JavaScript so I think I need to really focus on building a foundation here before branching to other languages.

Collapse

owaji profile image
Owaji-inyagham Ogbuluijah

Hello, @Ryan Day understanding JavaScript can be a bit tricky but with a bit of patience you can become a ninja in it.

Collapse

mijost45 profile image
mijost45

I've also decided to go for JS in the short term. It seems easy enough and it's an attainable goal. :)

Collapse

lexis9784 profile image
Alexis B
  1. I have decided to focus on learning JavaScript
  2. I chose JavaScript because I have a base knowledge of it already and it has a wide variety of uses in both web and mobile development which are both areas I would like to pursue in the future.

Reflection Questions:

1. Which platform/field would you like to work in? a. I want to work in web development with the option to learn app development in the future
  2. What do you want to build first? a. I want to build an ecommerce website
  3. My priority with learning to code is…
    a. My priority with learning to code it having fun and learning a new skill

4. Do you know HTML and CSS?
    a. Yes, I have dabbled in HTML, CSS, and a bit of JavaScript over the years

5. Do you like to be more self-sufficient when learning things or completing projects? Or do you like to work in groups?
    b. I like to be more self-sufficient, but find it helps to have a group of people to bounce ideas and problems off of when necessary.

Collapse

iamdavidjames profile image
Abaraoha David

Same here! I also want to build an e-commerce site too!
I tried doing it once but failed. Though that time I tried doing it with Python and Django and I was watching just tutorials without asking for help then I got stuck 😄

Collapse

clintonstrange profile image
Clint Strange

Keep being consistent in your learning and continue to build off the foundation you already have in JavaScript!

Collapse

dayryanm profile image
Ryan Day

1. What language or framework have you decided to learn? This was such a hard choice because I’m just starting out and still have so much to explore! That being said, I think JavaScript is the most important piece for me to focus on now.

2. Why did you pick it? I’m most interested in web development and JavaScript seems to be the foundation of so many other related languages and frameworks. I’m in the middle of the certification on fCC but I’ve got a long way to go to get a better grasp on the core syntax and concepts. Although I was VERY enticed by the blurb about Bootstrap, I think it’s smart to strengthen my knowledge of JavaScript before branching out.

Collapse

sweetkeetweets profile image
Kierra Miner

Which platform/field would you like to work in?

I want to work in [front end web] development .
I want to learn Bootstrap for front end and Python on the backend.

What do you want to build first?

I want to build a [website].

My priority with learning to code is...
Having fun? Building websites quickly? Having a widely used/practical skill? Writing efficient code?

My priority is learning to write code and have a great understanding of coding languages.

Do you know CSS and/or HTML?
If not, that’s totally fine! If you don’t know CSS or HTML, these are good starting points.

Not yet.

Do you like to be more self-sufficient when learning things or completing projects? Or do you like to work in groups?
Jot down your thoughts on your learning style here. Certain frameworks/languages have active communities with lots of resources while others require a bit more independence.

I enjoy getting things done on my own but I understand having a great community is important.

Collapse

ellednera profile image
Raphael Jun Jie Jong

Sounds interesting especially when you mentioned Python on backend. Good luck and have fun!

Collapse

dulyaaa profile image
Dulya Perera
  1. Which platform/field would you like to work in?
    I want to work in mobile development.

2. What do you want to build first?
    I want to build a mobile app.

3. My priority with learning to code is...
    to build a mobile apps quickly with best practicing of code.

4. Do you know CSS and/or HTML?
    I know both CSS and HTML where I have always applied to develop projects.

5. Do you like to be more self-sufficient when learning things or completing projects? Or do you like to work in groups?
    Usually I have been working alone on projects and I love it because it's little bit quite and can make own decisions. However, I got the several chance to work as a group to complete the project which is more productive.

Collapse

shweta6 profile image
Shweta
    I want to work in enterprise development.

I want to build a web app.

3 . My priority with learning to code is..
My priority is to get better at coding. Build projects.

1. Do you know CSS and/or HTML?
    Yes, I knoe html, css, flexbox and gridbox

2. Do you like to be more self-sufficient when learning things or completing projects? Or do you like to work in groups?
    I personally love to work alone as I have been working alone for so long. But I definitely would to work in a group.

Collapse

anthonywigrimes profile image
Anthony Grimes

Enterprise development sounds interesting and I think "web apps" is a great area of focus, since they can be consumed in multiple mediums (desktop, mobile, etc.).
Wishing you the best on your adventures; you got this!

Collapse

dastiles profile image
charles madhuku
  1. Which platform/field would you like to work in? i want to work in web development

2.What do you want to build first?
i want to build a web app

3.My priority with learning to code is...?
i want to code because i love computers so i need way to make greats things with them

4.Do you know CSS and/or HTML?
I know html and css very well

5.Do you like to be more self-sufficient when learning things or completing projects? Or do you like to work in groups?
I want to be more self sufficient when learning things or completing smaller projects but when projects becomes large and hard i like to work in groups and joining communities

Collapse

srhatcher profile image
Sr.Hatcher

I also want to make great things with computers! starting with Javascript will help us reach that goal, i'm here whenever you need me :)

Collapse

dastiles profile image
charles madhuku

Okay thank u we should try to build some javascript projects together to polish some skills especially react

Thread Thread

srhatcher profile image
Sr.Hatcher

oh man, i'm cool with that! i'm just starting to learn how to use git and github, and after that i'm starting with Javascript. that'll be a great pratice! i'll text you as soon as i get the basics with them, you can tell me if you have an idea for a project to build >:)

Thread Thread

dastiles profile image
charles madhuku

Okay that's good. For me I have some basic JavaScript skills so when you are ready text me

Collapse

bisrategebriel profile image
Bisrategebriel Fisseha

JavaScript will be my preference I want to stick to for a while.
2. Why did you pick it?
It's one of the most powerful programming languages available in the world of web development, and it'll help me even more as I delve into different aspects of software development.

Collapse

dayryanm profile image
Ryan Day

My thoughts exactly. I need to build a strong base in JS before moving into some of the other languages and frameworks.

Collapse

nickoliver profile image
Nick Oliver • Edited
  1. Which platform/field would you like to work in? I am satisfied to stay with being able to contribute in the Systems Admin field.
  2. What do you want to build first? See answer number one
  3. My priority with learning to code is... My priority is to be able to code in a manner that supports my job function, as necessary
  4. Do you know CSS and/or HTML? If not, that’s totally fine! If you don’t know CSS or HTML, these are good starting points. I don't KNOW either, but I have used both in taking care of personal life websites.
  5. Do you like to be more self-sufficient when learning things or completing projects? Or do you like to work in groups? I would prefer to LEARN with others, but given my work choice, I typically work on my own.
Collapse

koshirok096 profile image
koshirok096
    I decided to learn Javascript, and planning to start learning REACT later on

2. Why did you pick it?
    The reason why I picked JS and REACT is, I want to learn the basic frontend skillset and JS and REACT is highly demanded in its field.

Collapse

srhatcher profile image
Sr.Hatcher

great! we'll be on the same road, i'm here whenever you need help :)

Collapse

koshirok096 profile image
koshirok096

Thanks, buddy! :)

Collapse

owaji profile image
Owaji-inyagham Ogbuluijah

What language or framework have you decided to learn?
I have decided to learn JavaScript and two of it's frameworks (React and Nodejs).

Why did you pick it?
Well, reading through the features of each of the programming languages, I figured that JavaScript is not just easy to grasp but it's also newbie friendly. I also chose this language because of it's ability to be used on different platforms.

Collapse

janjibdev profile image
janjib
    I would like to work in web development for the time being.

A webapp

3. My priority with learning to code is to apply all the stuff that I learned in the tutorial and etc. I also looking forward to learning new things that help me in building a highly requested webapp.

4. Do you know CSS and/or HTML?
    Yes, I know both HTML and CSS

Working on projects in a group is a lot of fun. However, at my current level, completing projects on my own allows me to learn and absorb more about web development.

Collapse

srhatcher profile image
Sr.Hatcher

we are walking on the same road, though i can tell you know more than me, but if you ever need my help, just ask for it :)

Collapse

ellednera profile image
Raphael Jun Jie Jong
    I decided to learn Perl for web development.

2. Why did you pick it?
    I started learning Perl a year ago and it was fun. I like the way it works. There is this CGI module which I learned not long ago and I would like to learn more and try out some of the features of the CGI module to make web pages work. I don't mind learning old-school stuff, because I'm still learning quite a lot on how the web works through it.
    I'm thinking to use Perl to serve as the backend, while the frontend I'll just use HTML and some CSS, or Bootstrap maybe.
    There is a popular web framework for Perl called Mojolicious, but I'll leave that for another time :)

Collapse

jt802 profile image
JT802
    I have some experience with JS/HTML/CSS, and I'm going to continue with those on my own. As for this Cohort, I want to learn basic Python.

2. Why did you pick it?
    I wrote my first bit of Python back in 2014. I don't even remember what it was, but I do remember it worked. With all the programmatic changes to OSes and coding languages in the years since, I'm not sure it would work these days. I'd like to learn basic Python with a goal of using my combined skills in a software testing/QA job.