CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for [#CNC2022 "Write More" Cohort 1] What are your top 3 writing ideas?
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeNewbie Team

Posted on

[#CNC2022 "Write More" Cohort 1] What are your top 3 writing ideas?

This thread is for participants in Cohort 1 of #CNC2022's "Write More" Challenge.

Mission 1 Discussion Thread

After you've completed the reading and exercises in your Mission 1 email, respond to the following prompts related to the work you've done...

1. What are your top three writing ideas for this challenge?
2. What led you to pick these ideas over other ones?

Scan through the comments after you've posted your own and interact with 1-2 other people by responding to their comment. Don't forget to follow these people on CodeNewbie Community if you aren't already! 

Congrats on challenging yourself to Write More! If you have any questions about the challenge overall, head to the Write More Help Thread. For any technical questions throughout the challenge (or in general) write a #help post on CodeNewbie Community or DEV and share with the community!

Top comments (22)

Collapse

codeebullient profile image
chassis

My Top 3 thoughts
A. Making my article to meet a particular need.
It should solve a problem. I seems to be going on and off tone with word on my writings, maybe not conveying my thoughts right. One of Catalin Pit' article made me to realise that.

B. Open source contribution & documentation.
Although I've contributed twice or thereabout but i want to be consistent. Being a mum shouldn't be an excuse, right?🤩

C. Freelance writing. Most sites that people talk about or writes doesn't tell one how the whole process works, the qualifications needed and/or the countries that's permitted.
All my pain points will be written for another to navigate easily.

Hi all, your feedback will be appreciated. Muchas gracias 🙏

Collapse

annetawamono profile image
Anneta Wamono

These are great ideas! I really like Idea B because it could be a short and concise article, but still hold very useful information given your experience

Collapse

yuridevat profile image
𝕁𝕦𝕝𝕚𝕒 👩🏻‍💻

I am very interested in idea C. But I am sure, no matter which topic you will choose to write about in the end, it will turn out great 😊

Collapse

coder_utkarsh profile image
Utkarsh Maurya • Edited

My top three ideas are:

1️⃣ Creating a Wordle clone : I recently created a Wordle clone to test out my JavaScript knowledge and I think it would be a great topic for me to write about .
This will be an explainer as well as a project I think

2️⃣ Moving from Java to JavaScript : Java was my first programming language. And I still love it. But recently I started learning JavaScript for web dev and I think I am enjoying it more than Java ( Sorry Java 😕🙄). A blog post on what I like and don't like about JS as a Java programmer will be a good idea for Explainer.

3️⃣ How to make a custom bash prompt : I use Linux ( Ubuntu ) on my laptop so I am quite familiar with Bash. The best part about using Linux is the ability to customize your OS. I will write about How someone can customize their Bash prompt to their liking and needs.
This will my tutorial one

Collapse

Anneta Wamono

Hey Utkarsh, I love these ideas. I think #2 will be fun because you can add a lot of personality to it. Idea #1 is something I would look forward to reading the most.

Collapse

Utkarsh Maurya

Thank you Anneta 😊.

Collapse

yuridevat profile image
𝕁𝕦𝕝𝕚𝕒 👩🏻‍💻

I do really like your second topic. It is interesting reading about transitioning and I think it will help many developers on how to best do so. 😊

Collapse

Anneta Wamono

I'm sorry I'm late for the party! I had a terribly busy week. Here are my 3 ideas:

1. How components talk to each other in React (Explainer) - this was a pain point for me that I learned recently for a test
  2. How I use SASS to theme my projects (Project) - I've been creating small design systems for my projects for the past 6 months and it's improved the efficiency and flexibility of my code. I'd like to share this tip to help others with their projects
  3. How to create a twitch chat overlay (Tutorial) - I picked this for a tutorial because it's a fun project and not many people know that you can create overlays with HTML, CSS and JS
Collapse

Utkarsh Maurya

Great ideas Anneta. I really like #3 because it would be a really cool project.

Collapse

yuridevat profile image
𝕁𝕦𝕝𝕚𝕒 👩🏻‍💻

Number 2 sounds really cool and professional. Being able to create a design system doesn't sound easy, I really want to know more about it already 😊

Collapse

caitlinw29 profile image
Caitlin Wall

1) Mixing Inquirer and console.table packages - I had a pain point here and couldn't find any threads online that fixed the issue (I'm thinking this would be a tutorial)

2) Building a web application - Project insight. I like this idea because I feel less like I need to be "right", I can just share what I did. The code might not be the best since I'm learning, but it does work. I can share what I did to get it working, and the challenges.

3) Loops Explainer in JavaScript - it is something that I feel fairly confident in, and could be a good launching point for a more information based post

Collapse

yuridevat profile image
𝕁𝕦𝕝𝕚𝕒 👩🏻‍💻

I like all three of your ideas because every idea has its own reason and personal meaning behind it. In the end I hope, you will write all three of them. And maybe you will figure out, what YOUR purpose is to write blog posts and stick to one, or you will start like writing in general :) Already curious to read one of your articles soon!

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

I like your reasoning for #2! It is much easier to genuinely learn when you're in an exploratory headspace v.s. needing to be right!

Collapse

yuridevat profile image
𝕁𝕦𝕝𝕚𝕒 👩🏻‍💻 • Edited

My TOP 3 are:

1) How to use GitHub the professional way: Using Project, Issues to show off project management skills; create a Readme.md for your projects; how to create a PR; how to keep GitHub clean and "readable".

Would this be explainer, tutorial and project all in one? 😅

2) How to keep a11y in mind when creating a project: what IS a11y; how can you test it; why is it important.

Would this be an explainer?

3) Communication for Devs? How to communicate; Maybe in connection with Git Workflow in the company/project?

Explainer? Project?

I do not have a traditional tutorial idea á la how to build "this" app 🤔

after finishing Mission #2 I realised that every topic is an explainer!

Collapse

Anneta Wamono • Edited

I really like idea #2 because it's a topic I feel I don't get spoken enough about to new devs. Idea #1 may be a very big topic to cover in just one post, unless it's more of a brief overview.

Awesome work 🙌

Collapse

yuridevat profile image
𝕁𝕦𝕝𝕚𝕒 👩🏻‍💻

Thanks for your opinion on my topics. :)

Collapse

Utkarsh Maurya

Great ideas 👏.
I like #3 the most. Communication is very important for developers specially when working together on a project.
Looking forward to reading your articles. 😊

Collapse

jasonmedina profile image
jason-medina

Here are three ideas..with some thoughts below. Appreciate the feedback!!

How I got started..and where I plan to go
>feels autobiographical, and I could collect my thoughts on why I enjoy user enablement and working with technical and non-technical users. This one feels the safest and most self-serving of the three.

What I learned during the log4j vulnerability
>recent and relevant experience related to security and business continuity. This issue started on Dec 10th 2021, and reinforced the need for a security-first mentality in data companies.

Data Mesh
>another goal for this year is to learn more about ELT and DBT in specific. Compare contrast traditional ETL with ELT. This would require the most work but could serve as pre-work for my next learning adventure.

Collapse

Utkarsh Maurya

Great ideas Jason.
I like the #1. Would love to read and learn from your experiences. 😊

Collapse

yuridevat profile image
𝕁𝕦𝕝𝕚𝕒 👩🏻‍💻

Number 1 is for sure a topic, many CodeNewbies want to read about because they are in the same positition as you were not long ago. It will give them hope and motivation 😊

Collapse

abdulrrazzaq profile image
abdulrrazzaq

I know I'm late to the party here are my ideas:
1) Git, how to merge two repos into one each in sub-directory without losing the commits history, I had a really difficult time doing this and I couldn't find any resource strait away for this issue.
2) How to master [].map(), [].forEach(), and [].reduce() by creating your own, I really had a difficult time understanding how they work until I created mine, it was a great idea from my previous superior at work. I want to share with others.
3) How I create My portfolio using ReactJS, SSR, and i18n, it's the traditional I really want to create mine but I never had enough time or motivation to do it, so it's the best time. While sharing the process with the community.

Collapse

yuridevat profile image
𝕁𝕦𝕝𝕚𝕒 👩🏻‍💻

Number 1 sounds great. Git is something we all strungle to understand in the beginning. 😊