CodeNewbie Community

Cover image for #CNC2021 "Start Coding" Mission 1 Submission Thread
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeNewbie Team

Posted on • Updated on

#CNC2021 "Start Coding" Mission 1 Submission Thread

After completing all the steps in your Mission 1 email, post your coding goals and your favorite coding roles. Feel free to introduce yourself to other participants you see here! Congrats on completing Mission 1!

Congrats on challenging yourself to Code More! If you have any questions about the challenge overall, head to the Start Coding Help Thread. For any technical questions throughout the challenge (or in general!) write a #help post and share with the community!

Discussion (187)

Collapse
sabineemden profile image
Sabine Emden (she/her)

I'm interested in frontend web development, with a dash of UX/UI.

My goal for the next six months is to learn the foundational frontend development skills to build projects from graphic design comps. My focus will be on HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and Bootstrap.

I plan to track the time I spend coding with a pomodoro app that integrates with my to-do list. Because I work full-time, I'm aiming for one hour per day on average.

Collapse
aeparson profile image
Arcadia

What program are you learning with? I also just started a new Pomodoro App. I'd love to hear how you're using yours with a to-do list.

Collapse
brandelune profile image
Jean-Christophe Helary • Edited on

My #CNC2021 Start Coding - Goals Worksheet is here:
docs.google.com/document/d/1RBqkzU...

I am not freaking out. But with no savings whatsoever and a familiarity with IT that I've had for the last 25 years, I think it's way time that I challenge myself and move on to something that will pay for retirement...

In the Mission 1 mail, I did not see non-mobile development (ie what seems to be called "Desktop development" in the Dev post that was linked as an extra ressource). I thought that was an interesting choice of options.

Collapse
Sabine Emden (she/her)

I don't know how retirement works for French expats in Japan, @brandelune , and can't view your Goals Worksheet on Goggle Docs. Are you looking for a better paying job before you retire or a second career after you retire from your current job?

Collapse
brandelune profile image
Jean-Christophe Helary

Sabine, sorry for the locked linked. I think I fixed that.

I live in Japan and I've always worked as an independent worker (translator/localizer and a bit of French teaching). Basically I only work when work comes in and with 3 kids and all the expenses we have here, that we can barely cover from month to month (due to little work and high costs) we just don't have any savings. And this pandemic made that very clear that we were not going to see the situation improve in the long term.

So, yes, I'm looking for a remote job with relatively stable and higher income. Human translation is slowly dying with machine translation taking over and French teaching only goes so far.

My experiences with programming are frustrating because they are "flash" experiences. I can write reasonable code for things I need at home (scripts to manage my processes) but I do that only once in a while, and then I need to get back to the language reference, make the same errors as I did before, etc.

What I need is a stable reason to code and a reason that's linked to an income. Otherwise I get lost in other preoccupations.

Collapse
gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Hey there! Thanks for participating in the challenge!

Just so you know, no need to share your worksheets! Those are just for your own notes and reflection. In the threads, you'll want to share answers to the assignment questions :)

Collapse
brandelune profile image
Jean-Christophe Helary

Sorry, that was not clear from the "mission" description. I thought we were supposed to be able to read each other. Is it preferable to not share them ?

Thread Thread
gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

You certainly can share a view-only copy of your note sheet if you like, but an important part of the assignment is also to carry over your answer to the prompt so discussion can happen right here on CodeNewbie Community! 😃

Thread Thread
gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Oh and no apologies necessary of course! :)

Collapse
gabrielruiz21 profile image
Gabriel Esteban Ruiz Meneses

Hello everyone! My name is Gabriel and i am from Colombia. I am learning python this year and i cannot wait to start making some cool projects. I would love to hear any tips or resources you guys might have. Please feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn linkedin.com/in/gabrieleruiz/ or shot me an email at gabrielestebanruiz21@gmail.com. I have a couple of books and resources regarding technical interview if you are interest.

Here is assignment 1.

docs.google.com/document/d/1jRddK3....

Happy coding

Collapse
opheliagame profile image
Anushka Trivedi

Hey Gabriel, python sounds like a very fun language to begin with, and very useful in the current tech ecosystem as well.
Looking forward to reading your goals but I cannot access your document at the moment.

Collapse

Hi Anushka, it is a very fun language. I am currently taking a codecademy course and reading python in a nutshell. I do not what happened to my goals link. I will see how can I give access to it.

What are you studying ? how do you learn best (reading, watching videos, or live classes ) ?

happy coding

Thread Thread
Anushka Trivedi

codeacademy is fun!
I am currently doing mostly javascript. for me, reading works best. and it is even better if directly after reading, or along with reading, i can also try things out by writing some code. how do you learn best?

Thread Thread

I enjoyed reading a lot. However I learn best by doing. I am really good on live classes where I can compete and get hand on right after the lesson.

JavaScript is awesome. I am familiar with the framework React. I you need some JavaScript resources let me know I might have a couple.

Thread Thread
Anushka Trivedi

yes please :) it would be great to get a few resources

Thread Thread

Sorry for the late reply. Here they are. Hope they help.

drive.google.com/drive/folders/1kc...

Let me know if you ever want to code together. I am learning python but I very comfortable with JavaScript.

Thread Thread
Anushka Trivedi

Thank you! I do have an idea for a javascript project, and will ask you once I am more clear about what I want to do <3

Collapse
Sabine Emden (she/her)

Gabriel, are you familiar with PyBites? I started my coding journey with Python a couple of years ago, before I decided to switch to frontend development. I remember listening to the PyBites podcast and enjoying it. The website also has smaller coding exercises, which I really liked for additional practice and to test myself.

Collapse

I am not familiar. But I just added my email to their daily video list and I cannot wait to get their first bite of knowledge. Thank you so much for sharing.

Collapse
gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Just so you know, no need to share your worksheets! Those are just for your own notes and reflection. In the threads, you'll want to share answers to the assignment questions :)

Collapse

Upsss. This is my first time. thanks for letting me know.

Have a great day.

Collapse
herkura profile image
Hershil Piplani
Collapse
Sabine Emden (she/her)

You have some very ambitious goals, @herkura ! Are you planning to start your own company?

Collapse
herkura profile image
Hershil Piplani

Thanks a lot, Sabine Emden but planning for a startup is too far for the time being. I am more interested in gaining some industrial experience first, working in a competitive environment, and contributing to the open source community as well.

Thread Thread
Sabine Emden (she/her)

That sound like a reasonable plan! I wish you all the best for it.

Thread Thread
herkura profile image
Hershil Piplani

Thanks alot!

Collapse
iam_eddie_ profile image
Dis_Connected⛓

Hello everyone i am Eddie and i am a professional banker and investment finance analysts, i am passionate about technology and computers thats why i am here today , I’m not looking to switch careers but i love learning new things and I would like to add coding to my list of skills ,I would also love to get a rewarding career .

In 12 months time i should be able to design a complete and fully functional programme.My favorite coding roles are Front End Developer, Mobile Developer and Software Engineer

Successful learning to me is to be able understand a concept and to be able to apply it releventaly , whether it's a new project , a course or a real life situation

To measure that success I would like to think in terms of time spent and courses completed. Keeping a journal to measure progress can be one way to track progress , still to research on other tools.

I have wrote down a 12 month Timeline to fulfill my learning goals and start applying for jobs . Starting to day 😊

Collapse
gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Awesome!

Collapse
abdelrahmanes profile image
Abdelrahman Elshershaby

interesting

Collapse
tda233066 profile image
Tim Apple

Hello, been around a little while now, but no real progress. I am going through this to help me buckle down so to speak.

I am interested in Web and Mobile development. I really like flutter but I am going to focus on web technologies for now since they cover a lot of bases in the end if a person has a browser.

My goal is to be working in some low level role actually developing in 1-2 years. I have the benefit of being home now taking care of my kids. Plan on entering workforce in the above timeline.

Cheers!

Collapse
dsusee profile image
Dawn Susee

Hi. I want to get my certification in Java. I am using the Code challenge to review Java from the beginning and I would like to take the certification exam by the end of the summer.

My favorite coding roles are software engineer and game developer. I like the roles which include writing code.

Collapse
eduenez33 profile image
Edwin Duenez

Hey everyone!

I'm interested in Web Development. Both front-end and back-end.

My goal is to complete the course that I am currently taking on Udemy and build a project based on the topics that it covers. I am also striving to apply to multiple positions and land an interview by the end of the year.

Collapse
Abdelrahman Elshershaby

wish you all the best Edwin
which stack are you learning on udemy?

Collapse
induja profile image
Induja

Hello everyone! I'm Induja and I'm from India. I'm not a complete newbie to programming but I got into this challenge to find direction and gain clarity when learning to code. I'm super excited to start doing fun projects. Please drop any advice/tips you would give me, a freshman CS major, to find my own path in tech.

Here's my Coding Goals worksheet!
docs.google.com/document/d/1BjEq8y...

I look forward to learning a lot here :)

Collapse
adammathewvaughn profile image
Adam

1.) I want to start learning to code because it’s interesting and the employment opportunities are endless.
2.) I hope to be employed within 6 months and well-established at that job within a year.
3.) Success looks like a firm grasp on at least one language and a working familiarity with adjacent or similar languages.
4.) I measure my success by my level of comfort with the task at hand. If I’m comfortable with the task, I can continue to work and improve, no matter my current results.
5.) I’d really like to be working in the field within 6 months.

Collapse
amo_ndi profile image
Amondi_Lucy • Edited on
Collapse
Sabine Emden (she/her)

I'm curious: Why did you pick Java to learn first, @amo_ndi ? I've been toying with the idea of learning web development for a couple of years now. During that time, I have heard and read recommendations for Python, JavaScript, C#, and Ruby as the first or primary programming language for people starting to code. The blog post for the pre-mission reading assignment was the first time I read a recommendation to start with Java.

Collapse
amo_ndi profile image
Amondi_Lucy • Edited on

I think I want to learn Java because I want to focus mostly on Android development and focus less on web, I heard that Java is a cool programming language, though I have had a little taste of it I can say it's codes are bulky. Python is easy, also I have had a little taste of it too, but python is wide would want to learn that later on

Thread Thread
amo_ndi profile image
Amondi_Lucy

Am also a student in my second year doing software engineering.
Java is one of the units in my course in which I would want to perfect on it.

Thread Thread
Sabine Emden (she/her)

You're right, most of the advice I came across was geared more towards web development. I know very little about mobile development. If you learn Java in university and it fits your interests, you have two very good reasons to focus on it.

Thread Thread
amo_ndi profile image
Amondi_Lucy

Thank you

Collapse

I was surprise the reading was mostly base on Java. I am learning Python because is easy to learned and is use in different professions. I think I will stick with python.

Thread Thread
Sabine Emden (she/her)

I don't think the reading was chosen to get us all into Java.

In my opinion, Python is a very good language to learn basic programming concepts. I started with Python, and now that I know I want to focus on frontend web development, I'm switching to JavaScript.

Collapse
ordinari_john profile image
Amaechi John

Hello everyone
My goals for this challenge is to fully learn the fundamentals of web developments in 6 months time.

Collapse
Abdelrahman Elshershaby

good luck with your goal Amaechi
what stack do u intend to start?

Collapse
bharads profile image
Bharadwaj Sridharan
Collapse
gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Collapse
Sabine Emden (she/her)

I love your goal to start learning to code to empower your current job, @bharads ! In my current job, there are a lot of tasks that I would love to automate, and I wish I had the skills for that.

Collapse
gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Hello everyone! It was brought to our attention that there were some errors in the above prompt (it was mistakenly carried over from another challenge).

We have updated it above. Looks like you have all been sharing the correct responses to the assignment so nice job! Going forward, no need to share your Google docs in these mission threads, although I do understand why you did so in this case 😅

Collapse
preshh0 profile image
Your .py Princess!

CNC2021

Hi, my name is Precious and I'm restarting my journey in Python.
I hope to be consistent and get very proficient in the language in at least a month, then get into the frameworks.
And then get a job or at least have gigs before the end of the year.

Plus, I'm trying to learn the basic concepts of programming and software engineering.

Cheers.

Oh, and if someone knows of python internship opportunities, it'd be really cool if thet could share links. Thanks!

Collapse
doileo profile image
Doina

Hi, everyone. I'm interested in Front-End Web Development. My goal for the next six months is to practice HTML, CSS, and JavaScript so that I can begin freelancing.
A couple of job titles that seem interesting to me are Front-End Web Developer, UX Designer and everything is related to security of a website. This last one may be the title of the job I want to get in the future.
I use a planner and Pomodoro to keep track of my time. My daily study time would be about two to three hours.

Collapse
bekobekrija profile image
Berkan A.

My #CNC2021 Start Coding Goals worksheet is here:
docs.google.com/document/d/16_XzCU...

My goal is to start earning as a website developer by the 9th month when i officially start learning, and by month 12 to have enough knowledge to create a website (startup) that I've planned all along.

Collapse
adiatiayu profile image
Ayu Adiati • Edited on

Hi, @bekobekrija ! Thanks for being part of the challenge! Friendly reminder that the worksheets are for your personal work and don't need to be shared in the mission threads. Instead, you'll want to share your answer to the assignment questions in the thread :)

Collapse
bekobekrija profile image
Berkan A.

Hi Ayu. Thanks for the reminder :)

Thread Thread
adiatiayu profile image
Ayu Adiati

You're welcome, Berkan :)

Collapse
shariifah profile image
Sherifah

Hello !!🙂🙂🙂 I'm new here. I'm Bolaji.

I'm interested in backend development with a little understanding of frontend.

Before joining this coding challenge, I'm basically a novice in all these coding stuffs and surprisingly I'm a computer science student, year two. So it's somehow not ideal to me. I'm into graphics design actually...But now I am ready to learn new things, I'm really excited about this 😃😃😃 and I can't wait to get started on some really cool projects.

My focus will be on HTML, Python, CSS and some other languages associated with backend.
Thank you for having me.☺️☺️☺️

Collapse
jerineaso profile image
Jerin Easo Regi

“Goals, Goals, Goals”
=> I'm learning coding because I find this to be my passion, more than working not happy under others.
=>My goal is to become a Front End Developer and hoping it to be happen within 6 months.

Collapse
seltzie profile image
seltzie

Hello! I'm currently an in-house designer and I do mostly print design. I've been skirting around learning web development for years, but now it's pretty obvious my job is on the downswing, so this is my time. I hope to know in 6 months if this is what I really want to do. If it's not, I hope to be able to roll the skills into a more general job. I'm a 'fine but not inspired' designer, and I really enjoy what I've done of front end development. I'm hoping to become a strong developer that's aided by my design background, instead of making a living doing design. My dream job would be to do the coding for a designer that does small business websites (restaurants, small hotels, dispensaries, etc), and if I could do it part-time from home: all the better.

Success would be having a decent portfolio of work I am proud of, and confidence in my ability to code and solve the problems that come up.

Collapse
noviicee profile image
Novice • Edited on

`#CNC2021 Mission-1

Goals:

• To learn as much as I can.
  • Learn a new programming language, which can be used to make some contributions, in order to solve real-time problems 🙌
  • Move to the advanced part of the programming language of which I know the basics.

Favorite Coding Roles:
Debugging has to be my favorite part haha 😄

Collapse
gillell profile image
Gill Elliott

Hi everyone. I am here because I have just turned a certain age and finally have the opportunity to persue my interest in computing and coding. I have some self-taught Python, and I have just started a conversion Msc in Computer Science, but don't really know which direction I want to go in. My goals are to find my direction, create some projects of my own (some of which will hopefully be actually useful) and to be in a postion to say "I am a coder". That's it really. This is for my own personal achievement, but if I get to a stage when I can make some money from it, all the better.

Collapse
sbstn profile image
sbstn98

Hey Guys,
i am Basti from Hamburg, Germany!
I am interested in mobile web development and free software...
Here are my coding Goals for the Future:

docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX...

What do you think?
Are my Goals accessible?
I'm excited to hear your feedback!

Collapse
aaron profile image
Aaron McCollum

Welcome Basti! I think this looks pretty great - good luck! Focus on consistency with your learning and you'll find that after 12 months you will have made great progress. freeCodeCamp is also a really awesome resource that I use as well. Where are you in the curriculum on fCC?

Collapse
sbstn profile image
sbstn98

Hey Aaron,
i started it from beginning and just now i finished the HTML part :) On the same time i am working on an edX IBM certified cloud development course.
Next Challenge is the CSS part, but i am very excited to do the JavaScript part :D

What Level have you reached so far?

Collapse
mcclintsayshi profile image
Clinton

Hello, CN

Challenge 1:
docs.google.com/document/d/1du8SPF...

Collapse
Sabine Emden (she/her)

You write in your Goals Worksheet you want to start applying for jobs by the end on June. That's awesome, @mcclintsayshi ! 🥳 It also pretty soon, only about 10 weeks away, less than the duration of most coding bootcamps. Are you starting from scratch, or do you already have some coding skills?

I don't want to rain on your parade. I'm trying to find out how my own goals and timeline - and my definition of "start coding" - compare to others in this challenge.

Collapse
Clinton

I have been coding for a while now, I joined the challenge to kind of check all the boxes because so far I'm a bit all over the place in terms of what I have learned. The thing I am hoping to learn here is mostly working on projects, what I an actual real world project requires and actually finishing them on time. I have been struggling a lot with that.

Also by applying I mean to say I want to have my portfolio ready with atleast a project or two that showcases my skills because I have waiting to reach a point where I think/feel ready for a long time now.

Thread Thread
Sabine Emden (she/her)

Are you familiar with Frontend Mentor? It's a website with coding challenges for building frontend website from professional designs. You submit your solutions for code review by the community, and because you need a live URL for your project to do that, you are also building your portfolio.

Collapse
adiatiayu profile image
Ayu Adiati • Edited on

Hi, @mcclintsayshi ! Thanks for being part of the challenge! Friendly reminder that the worksheets are for your personal work and don't need to be shared in the mission threads. Instead, you'll want to share your answer to the assignment questions directly in the thread :)

Collapse
brandelune profile image
Jean-Christophe Helary

Your page is not shared.

Collapse
Clinton

Thanks for pointing that , forgot to change it to public, just updated it.

Collapse
preshh0 profile image
Your .py Princess!

CNC2021

Hi, my name is Precious and I'm restarting my journey in Python.
I hope to be consistent and get very proficient in the language in at least a month, then get into the frameworks.
And then get a job or at least have gigs before the end of the year.

Plus, I'm trying to learn the basic concepts of programming and software engineering.

Cheers.

Oh, and if someone knows of python internship opportunities, it'd be really cool if they could share links. Thanks!

Collapse
thaodg profile image
Thao Duong

My goal is to be able to gather and manipulate data with Python.

I work with data a lot and I used to be a product owner at an IT company but I want to be more involve and actually becoming a programmer working with backend.

Collapse
rhigh44 profile image
Rob High

I'm interested in full-stack web development. I will be focusing on CSS, HTML, JavaScript for the next 6 mos. I would also like to look into helping with open source projects either via coding or documentation. After 6 mos, would like to start looking for jobs for web development with emphasis on the backend side.

Collapse
dhrey112 profile image
Adeleke Dare

I am just starting out from Nigeria. I have been playing with python recently and found my flavor in Software Engineering though I am working toward specialing in machine learning and DevOps Engineer.

I am hoping to gain and solidify my general IT knowledge and programming with python via this platform and get a job before I will be trying my hand in other languages such as java and c++. Thanks

Collapse
dng3220m4 profile image
Ethan

I want to transition into a better paying field with many opportunities for growth as well as the option to work from home. I would also like to build my own projects for fun.

In six months I would like to be able to proficiently code in HTML/CSS/JS as well as be comfortable with React. I would like to be taking on freelance projects or contributing to volunteer projects.

In twelve months I would like to be transitioning to another career, possibly as an entry-level web developer or increasing my capacity as a freelancer.

Success looks like having a deep understanding of basic web dev concepts and skills, it’s having passed most of, if not all of FCC certifications, it’s being able to know what I’ve learned and how I can learn more.

I will measure that success by knowing what direction I’m moving towards, completing courses and finishing projects.

I would like to have finished 2-3 of my websites by October. I would like to start volunteering by July and contributing to code, and I would like to be able to confidently apply for jobs by January of 2022.

Roles? I'm most interested in Full-Stack Development for employment, Game Development for fun, and Hardware? Software Engineering sounds cool.

Collapse
donokun profile image
Donovan

I feel like I'm pretty bad with goal setting in general. I don't want to be too ambitious but too easy.

My coding goals

• I would like to just finish any project that I've been thinking about. I don't know about anyone else but I end up abandoning a project halfway because I either think its not as cool as I'd like it to be or I just end up not figuring out how to get past a problem. I'm actually frightened of posting on Stack overflow to see if I get a response lol
  • Long term I'd definitely like to get a job fulltime.

In terms of my favorite roles, I haven't really done anything other than Frontend stuff so I guess I'd say that's my stuff right there

If anyone is on Twitter I've decided to be a little more active on there. I'm not really sure how people go about social media as a dev though lol, but I'm here