CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for #CNC2021 "Start Coding" Mission 1 Submission Thread
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeNewbie Team

Posted on • Updated on

#CNC2021 "Start Coding" Mission 1 Submission Thread

After completing all the steps in your Mission 1 email, post your coding goals and your favorite coding roles. Feel free to introduce yourself to other participants you see here! Congrats on completing Mission 1!

Congrats on challenging yourself to Code More! If you have any questions about the challenge overall, head to the Start Coding Help Thread. For any technical questions throughout the challenge (or in general!) write a #help post and share with the community!

Top comments (180)

Collapse

sabineemden profile image
Sabine Emden (she/her)

I'm interested in frontend web development, with a dash of UX/UI.

My goal for the next six months is to learn the foundational frontend development skills to build projects from graphic design comps. My focus will be on HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and Bootstrap.

I plan to track the time I spend coding with a pomodoro app that integrates with my to-do list. Because I work full-time, I'm aiming for one hour per day on average.

Collapse

aeparson profile image
Arcadia

What program are you learning with? I also just started a new Pomodoro App. I'd love to hear how you're using yours with a to-do list.

Collapse

gabrielruiz21 profile image
Gabriel Esteban Ruiz Meneses

Hello everyone! My name is Gabriel and i am from Colombia. I am learning python this year and i cannot wait to start making some cool projects. I would love to hear any tips or resources you guys might have. Please feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn linkedin.com/in/gabrieleruiz/ or shot me an email at gabrielestebanruiz21@gmail.com. I have a couple of books and resources regarding technical interview if you are interest.

Here is assignment 1.

docs.google.com/document/d/1jRddK3....

Happy coding

Collapse

opheliagame profile image
Anushka Trivedi

Hey Gabriel, python sounds like a very fun language to begin with, and very useful in the current tech ecosystem as well.
Looking forward to reading your goals but I cannot access your document at the moment.

Collapse

Hi Anushka, it is a very fun language. I am currently taking a codecademy course and reading python in a nutshell. I do not what happened to my goals link. I will see how can I give access to it.

What are you studying ? how do you learn best (reading, watching videos, or live classes ) ?

happy coding

Thread Thread

Anushka Trivedi

codeacademy is fun!
I am currently doing mostly javascript. for me, reading works best. and it is even better if directly after reading, or along with reading, i can also try things out by writing some code. how do you learn best?

Thread Thread

I enjoyed reading a lot. However I learn best by doing. I am really good on live classes where I can compete and get hand on right after the lesson.

JavaScript is awesome. I am familiar with the framework React. I you need some JavaScript resources let me know I might have a couple.

Thread Thread

Anushka Trivedi

yes please :) it would be great to get a few resources

Thread Thread

Sorry for the late reply. Here they are. Hope they help.

drive.google.com/drive/folders/1kc...

Let me know if you ever want to code together. I am learning python but I very comfortable with JavaScript.

Thread Thread

Anushka Trivedi

Thank you! I do have an idea for a javascript project, and will ask you once I am more clear about what I want to do <3

Collapse

Sabine Emden (she/her)

Gabriel, are you familiar with PyBites? I started my coding journey with Python a couple of years ago, before I decided to switch to frontend development. I remember listening to the PyBites podcast and enjoying it. The website also has smaller coding exercises, which I really liked for additional practice and to test myself.

Collapse

I am not familiar. But I just added my email to their daily video list and I cannot wait to get their first bite of knowledge. Thank you so much for sharing.

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Hey there! Thanks for participating in the challenge!

Just so you know, no need to share your worksheets! Those are just for your own notes and reflection. In the threads, you'll want to share answers to the assignment questions :)

Collapse

Upsss. This is my first time. thanks for letting me know.

Have a great day.

Collapse

herkura profile image
Hershil Piplani
Collapse

Sabine Emden (she/her)

You have some very ambitious goals, @herkura ! Are you planning to start your own company?

Collapse

herkura profile image
Hershil Piplani

Thanks a lot, Sabine Emden but planning for a startup is too far for the time being. I am more interested in gaining some industrial experience first, working in a competitive environment, and contributing to the open source community as well.

Thread Thread

Sabine Emden (she/her)

That sound like a reasonable plan! I wish you all the best for it.

Thread Thread

herkura profile image
Hershil Piplani

Thanks alot!

Collapse

iam_eddie_ profile image
Dis_Connectedβ›“

Hello everyone i am Eddie and i am a professional banker and investment finance analysts, i am passionate about technology and computers thats why i am here today , I’m not looking to switch careers but i love learning new things and I would like to add coding to my list of skills ,I would also love to get a rewarding career .

In 12 months time i should be able to design a complete and fully functional programme.My favorite coding roles are Front End Developer, Mobile Developer and Software Engineer

Successful learning to me is to be able understand a concept and to be able to apply it releventaly , whether it's a new project , a course or a real life situation

To measure that success I would like to think in terms of time spent and courses completed. Keeping a journal to measure progress can be one way to track progress , still to research on other tools.

I have wrote down a 12 month Timeline to fulfill my learning goals and start applying for jobs . Starting to day 😊

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Awesome!

Collapse

abdelrahmanes profile image
Abdelrahman Elshershaby

interesting

Collapse

tda233066 profile image
Tim Apple

Hello, been around a little while now, but no real progress. I am going through this to help me buckle down so to speak.

I am interested in Web and Mobile development. I really like flutter but I am going to focus on web technologies for now since they cover a lot of bases in the end if a person has a browser.

My goal is to be working in some low level role actually developing in 1-2 years. I have the benefit of being home now taking care of my kids. Plan on entering workforce in the above timeline.

Cheers!

Collapse

dsusee profile image
Dawn Susee

Hi. I want to get my certification in Java. I am using the Code challenge to review Java from the beginning and I would like to take the certification exam by the end of the summer.

My favorite coding roles are software engineer and game developer. I like the roles which include writing code.

Collapse

eduenez33 profile image
Edwin Duenez

Hey everyone!

I'm interested in Web Development. Both front-end and back-end.

My goal is to complete the course that I am currently taking on Udemy and build a project based on the topics that it covers. I am also striving to apply to multiple positions and land an interview by the end of the year.

Collapse

Abdelrahman Elshershaby

wish you all the best Edwin
which stack are you learning on udemy?

Collapse

amo_ndi profile image
Collapse

Sabine Emden (she/her)

I'm curious: Why did you pick Java to learn first, @amo_ndi ? I've been toying with the idea of learning web development for a couple of years now. During that time, I have heard and read recommendations for Python, JavaScript, C#, and Ruby as the first or primary programming language for people starting to code. The blog post for the pre-mission reading assignment was the first time I read a recommendation to start with Java.

Collapse

amo_ndi profile image
Amondi_Lucy • Edited

I think I want to learn Java because I want to focus mostly on Android development and focus less on web, I heard that Java is a cool programming language, though I have had a little taste of it I can say it's codes are bulky. Python is easy, also I have had a little taste of it too, but python is wide would want to learn that later on

Thread Thread

amo_ndi profile image
Amondi_Lucy

Am also a student in my second year doing software engineering.
Java is one of the units in my course in which I would want to perfect on it.

Thread Thread

Sabine Emden (she/her)

You're right, most of the advice I came across was geared more towards web development. I know very little about mobile development. If you learn Java in university and it fits your interests, you have two very good reasons to focus on it.

Thread Thread

amo_ndi profile image
Amondi_Lucy

Thank you

Collapse

I was surprise the reading was mostly base on Java. I am learning Python because is easy to learned and is use in different professions. I think I will stick with python.

Thread Thread

Sabine Emden (she/her)

I don't think the reading was chosen to get us all into Java.

In my opinion, Python is a very good language to learn basic programming concepts. I started with Python, and now that I know I want to focus on frontend web development, I'm switching to JavaScript.

Collapse

induja profile image
Induja

Hello everyone! I'm Induja and I'm from India. I'm not a complete newbie to programming but I got into this challenge to find direction and gain clarity when learning to code. I'm super excited to start doing fun projects. Please drop any advice/tips you would give me, a freshman CS major, to find my own path in tech.

Here's my Coding Goals worksheet!
docs.google.com/document/d/1BjEq8y...

I look forward to learning a lot here :)

Collapse

adammathewvaughn profile image
Adam

1.) I want to start learning to code because it’s interesting and the employment opportunities are endless.
2.) I hope to be employed within 6 months and well-established at that job within a year.
3.) Success looks like a firm grasp on at least one language and a working familiarity with adjacent or similar languages.
4.) I measure my success by my level of comfort with the task at hand. If I’m comfortable with the task, I can continue to work and improve, no matter my current results.
5.) I’d really like to be working in the field within 6 months.

Collapse

bharads profile image
Bharadwaj Sridharan
Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Hey there! Thanks for participating in the challenge!

Just so you know, no need to share your worksheets! Those are just for your own notes and reflection. In the threads, you'll want to share answers to the assignment questions :)

Collapse

Sabine Emden (she/her)

I love your goal to start learning to code to empower your current job, @bharads ! In my current job, there are a lot of tasks that I would love to automate, and I wish I had the skills for that.

Collapse

ordinari_john profile image
Amaechi John

Hello everyone
My goals for this challenge is to fully learn the fundamentals of web developments in 6 months time.

Collapse

Abdelrahman Elshershaby

good luck with your goal Amaechi
what stack do u intend to start?

Collapse

doileo profile image
Doina

Hi, everyone. I'm interested in Front-End Web Development. My goal for the next six months is to practice HTML, CSS, and JavaScript so that I can begin freelancing.
A couple of job titles that seem interesting to me are Front-End Web Developer, UX Designer and everything is related to security of a website. This last one may be the title of the job I want to get in the future.
I use a planner and Pomodoro to keep track of my time. My daily study time would be about two to three hours.

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Hello everyone! It was brought to our attention that there were some errors in the above prompt (it was mistakenly carried over from another challenge).

We have updated it above. Looks like you have all been sharing the correct responses to the assignment so nice job! Going forward, no need to share your Google docs in these mission threads, although I do understand why you did so in this case πŸ˜…

Collapse

preshh0 profile image
Your .py Princess!

CNC2021

Hi, my name is Precious and I'm restarting my journey in Python.
I hope to be consistent and get very proficient in the language in at least a month, then get into the frameworks.
And then get a job or at least have gigs before the end of the year.

Plus, I'm trying to learn the basic concepts of programming and software engineering.

Cheers.

Oh, and if someone knows of python internship opportunities, it'd be really cool if thet could share links. Thanks!

Some comments may only be visible to logged-in visitors. Sign in to view all comments.