CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for CodeLand 2021 Hallway — Day One
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeNewbie Team

Posted on • Updated on

CodeLand 2021 Hallway — Day One

Note: Find the Day Two CodeLand 2021 Hallway here

Welcome to the CodeLand 2021 Hallway for day one!

Your place to meet other attendees and share in the collective CodeLand experience.

How to Use the CodeLand 2021 Hallway

1. Introduce yourself
  2. Chat with other attendees
  3. Share photos of where you're joining us from (pet photos are enthusiastically encouraged!)
  4. Recommend your favorite CodeLand talks to others (just drop the link to your favorite posts once they become available in the schedule
  5. Tell us about your coding journey so far

Remember: We're raffling off a handful of limited-edition laptop stickers to folks who engage on CodeNewbie Community during the event. Our team will be keeping an eye on the hallway and picking lucky winners based on your comments, so don't be shy... participate! 💚

🙋🏽‍♀️ Need Help?

Send us a message in the #questions-for-staff channel within the the CodeLand 2021 Discord (staff will appear in blue), or email us at codeland@codenewbie.org if you prefer to get private help.

One more thing

Hit subscribe on this thread if you want to keep up with folks popping in and introducing themselves in the comments. You can do that with any post on the site and you might enjoy experiencing the conference that way. 👇

Top comments (244)

Collapse

ecureuill profile image
Camilla Silva

Hello all! I'm from Brazil and this is my first time in CodeLand event. I'll be attending along with my super newbie companion.

Photo of mother and her  3 years old daughter

Collapse

ben profile image
Ben Halpern

Newbies come in every age :)

Collapse

ellativity profile image
Ella (she/her/elle)

Hey @ecureuill Welcome! We're so glad to have you both here. We hope you have a blast and learn a ton!

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Welcome to CodeLand! 🌈

Collapse

quitepeculiar profile image
Doreen Joy Barber (she/her)

Hey, folks! Tuning in from BST (which doesn't seem to be an option, actually--but we're still in "Summer Time" here in the UK!) so will be nipping in and out in between fixing dinner and watching the Nintendo Direct later!

I'm a proper CodeNewbie who is starting on the Nanodegree programme with Code First Girls in hopes I'll be a newly-minted software developer in about 16 weeks!

Collapse

andrewprohde profile image
Andy Rohde (he/him)

That's awesome! Good luck on the Nanodegree! What started your interest in programming?

Collapse

quitepeculiar profile image
Doreen Joy Barber (she/her)

Aside from wanting to change careers? XD

I grew up with computers--I used to play Q-bert on a Commodore 64! Although I never really viewed myself as someone who would be in programming, I've always had an interest in building websites and making things work, having made websites and blogs with Wordpress back in the '00s and early '10s.

I took an Intro to Python course with Code First Girls over the summer and really enjoyed it, so I'm pursuing that further with the Nanodegree, with some SuperHi courses I bought last year still chillin' in the background. :)

Thread Thread

Andy Rohde (he/him)

Having guided courses definitely helps. I have a huge backlog of courses on Udemy that I keep meaning to get to. I keep meaning to make time for them, but I never do.

Collapse

michaeltharrington profile image
Michael Tharrington

Woot! Awesome to hear you're working toward that Nanodegree. 🙌

Also, fun to flick back and forth between CodeLand and Nintendo Direct! 😀

Collapse

stephback profile image
Stephanie Back

Congrats on the Nanodegree programme! 🎉
I'm also keeping an eye on the Nintendo Direct. The final Smash Bros. challenger reveal is finally here! Woot woot!

Collapse

zeeskylaw profile image
Zainab Lawal(5/100🐍)

Hi everyone, I'm Zainab and I'll be tuning in from Turkey. I've been learning Python for backend web development for a year but I'm currently doing the 100 Days of Code challenge. Also, I'm excited because this will be my first CodeLand event.
Here's a picture of my cat. She's really excited too.
my cat

Collapse

terabytetiger profile image
Tyler V. (he/him)

What a beautiful kitten 🥰

Collapse

ubaidp1049 profile image
Comment marked as low quality/non-constructive by the community. View Code of Conduct
Ubaid Ahmad

Best of Luck.. If you need any assistance. I am willing to help. +923133401049 whatsapp. Thanks

Collapse

Tyler V. (he/him)

Hey everybody!

I'm Tyler - a Frontend Vueveloper (primarily) and in my spare time a blogger here and on DEV!

When I'm not working, I like to play games (video & board games - currently working on my chess game) and take pictures of dogs 💕

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Collapse

adiatiayu profile image
Ayu Adiati

Hey Tyler!
I love gaming too! But I only do gaming on my phone. I love Soda Crush Saga! 😁

Collapse

Tyler V. (he/him)

Mobile gaming is still gaming! 🥳

(and I played my fair share of Candy Crush when it came out 😜)

Thread Thread

adiatiayu profile image
Ayu Adiati

I played that too before they launched Soda Crush 😜

Collapse

Michael Tharrington

Well, pictures of dogs definitely caught my eye, haha! 😆 But seriously, these dog pics are really quite awesome.

Great to see ya here, Tyler!

Collapse

Tyler V. (he/him)

Thanks! I really need to get around to adding more 😅

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

I was hoping we'd see you here, Tyler!!! Welcome, welcome.

Collapse

Tyler V. (he/him)

Can't miss Codeland! It's one of my favorite times of the year! 🥳

Collapse

fizzybuzzybeezy profile image
fizzybuzzybeezy

Love the korgi pics!

Collapse

Tyler V. (he/him)

Thanks! Luna is the newest addition to our family and she's great! :D

Collapse

deweyhammers profile image
Richard Dewey Hammers • Edited

Hey all! tuning in from Cali and this is my first conference! I'm just finishing up my bootcamp with Flatiron school learning Software Engineering in JavaScript and Ruby. I have made some projects in Rails and React. I'm now getting readying for the Job Hunt!

Collapse

jrrohrer profile image
Jessie Rohrer

Hey fellow bootcamper :) I'm also finishing up the Flatiron bootcamp! I'm in self-paced SE.

Collapse

aaron profile image
Aaron McCollum

Wassup Jessie! Great to e-meet you. I told this to Richard above but I'm checking out the Flatiron school as a bootcamp next year in DC.

Thread Thread

jrrohrer profile image
Jessie Rohrer

Awesome! I signed up last August for the self-paced version of the software engineering course. It's all online, and I definitely have learned a lot! I'm finishing up the last section now, then I'll be on to my final project!

Thread Thread

aaron profile image
Aaron McCollum

That's awesome! I'd love to see it once you're finished. When you signed up for the self-paced, what was that like? Did you do this full-time at home?

Thread Thread

jrrohrer profile image
Jessie Rohrer

So I obviously signed up last summer, before I knew if schools would be open (I have 2 young kids), and before there were vaccines and everything where I live had juuuust opened back up. So I chose the self-paced over the part time program, because it's the most flexible option. I did all of the coursework online (for several months, at the dining room table alongside my 2 kids). I was able to attend zoom sessions with instructors to get answers to questions and advice on projects, and there are opportunities for social interactions as well. There is a slack workspace, and lots of workshops, talks, and social zooms.

Thread Thread

aaron profile image
Aaron McCollum

Nice! Best of luck in the next stage and on your final project :)

Collapse

Richard Dewey Hammers • Edited

I went with the Part Time and where on our Final Project! I'm making a budgeting app and so far its been the biggest project I have made so far.

Thread Thread

jrrohrer profile image
Jessie Rohrer

Nice! I am finishing up with React/Redux. Hoping to start the final project next week :) Good luck with yours!

Thread Thread

Richard Dewey Hammers

youtube.com/watch?v=wYZp0MuYbnI I have my demo up now if you wanny check it out

Thread Thread

jrrohrer profile image
Jessie Rohrer

It looks really nice!

Collapse

Andy Rohde (he/him)

How are you liking FlatIron? I've looked into it, but never signed up

Collapse

Richard Dewey Hammers

I really enjoyed it. With part time we have live classes two times each week and a very helpful support group. There is 5 mods with the Software Engineering with each mod taking 2 months for PT and 1 month for FT. There is a final Project and the end of each Mod where you have to pass a live code review. At the end you will be paired with a career coach to get you ready for the job search

Collapse

aaron profile image
Aaron McCollum

Hey Richard! I'm looking at Flatiron School as a potential bootcamp. Welcome to Codeland! Hope you are enjoying a fun time.

Collapse

varghesejose2020 profile image
Varghese Jose

Hi,I am Varghese from India, I am a Open Source Contributor|Full Stack Developer|FOSS Enthusiast

Collapse

Michael Tharrington • Edited

Heyo! Welcome to CodeLand. 🙌

I'm Michael and I'm a Senior Community Manager at Forem – the platform behind dev.to and CodeNewbie.

Really hope you dig the conference! 🙂

Collapse

Varghese Jose

Thank You Michael

Collapse

ben profile image
Ben Halpern

Great to have you!

Collapse

Varghese Jose

Hi Ben

Collapse

theoriginalbpc profile image
Sarah Dye • Edited

Hi everyone! I'm Sarah and I'm a fullstack web developer from Canton, Ohio. Besides coding websites, I write posts on The Practical Dev and Code Newbie, moderate the Elphas Can Code community, and am currently working on my own YouTube channel. This is my second time attending Codeland and this year I'm joined by my dog. I'm looking forward to Anna Lytical's talk later today.

Elsie the German Shepherd

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Aw what a good pup!

Collapse

adiatiayu profile image
Ayu Adiati

Great to see you, Sarah 😀

Collapse

theoriginalbpc profile image
Sarah Dye

Hey Ayu! It is great to see you too. I saw you Twitter you got accepted to The Collab Lab. Congratulations!

Thread Thread

adiatiayu profile image
Ayu Adiati

Thank you, Sarah! 😄

Collapse

jrrohrer profile image
Jessie Rohrer • Edited

I'm tuning in from Pennsylvania! Excited to participate in my first ever conference:)

Collapse

Tyler V. (he/him)

PA squad! 🎉

Collapse

jrrohrer profile image
Jessie Rohrer

Where are you in PA? I'm near Lancaster.

Thread Thread

Tyler V. (he/him)

I'm in the middle of nowhere, but about an hour or so from Lancaster :)

Collapse

itsasine profile image
Kayla

Woo, PA represent! 🎉 (though I'm on the west side)

Thread Thread

jrrohrer profile image
Jessie Rohrer

😎 Awesome!

Collapse

ellativity profile image
Ella (she/her/elle)

Hey @jrrohrer and Scout! Welcome to CodeLand, we're so happy you're here.

We definitely hope you learn all the things! Is there anything you're especially excited about?

Collapse

jrrohrer profile image
Jessie Rohrer

Looking forward to participating in the accessibility workshop tomorrow :)

Collapse

Varghese Jose

Hi

Collapse

Andy Rohde (he/him)

Hello!
I'm going to be attending from my home office while working on a backend project for my company

Collapse

ujjwaltwitx profile image
Ujjwal Pratap Singh

The excitement is at next level.

Collapse

Varghese Jose

Hi

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Love it!

Collapse

stephback profile image
Stephanie Back • Edited

Hello everyone!
I am tuning in from Montana! I am excited to experience CodeLand as my first developer conference! I began learning Java in June of 2021 and I am currently learning Web API design using Spring Boot. I enjoy baking desserts(pies 🥧 are my favorite), adventuring with friends through D&D(🐉🧙shout out to all the clerics & paladins), and spending time with my dog (Roo 🐕). I can't wait to meet other codenewbies! 😁
Happy CodeLand 2021! 🌈
P.S. Here's a picture of my dog!
community.codenewbie.org/remoteima...

Collapse

rosewms profile image
Rose Williams

Yaaaaay, DnD. I've been trying to organize a campaign and keep running into ever cursed scheduling issues.

Collapse

stephback profile image
Stephanie Back • Edited

Rose, it really is a curse of D&D. Haha My campaign usually meets Sundays for 3 - 5 hours but we still manage to break the schedule. (facepalm) One day, the schedule will align and it will be amazing! :D

Thread Thread

ben profile image
Ben Halpern

Cursed scheduling issues is what separates my adulthood from my childhood. I haven't played a satisfactory D&D campaign since college. (I might have to have kids so I can play with them 😅)

Thread Thread

Andy Rohde (he/him)

I suppose I'm lucky that my group can set aside Saturday afternoons to play. We typically meet at noon and play until 6. It helps that we all have normal 9-5 jobs, no kids, and enough free time.

Thread Thread

ben profile image
Ben Halpern

As a startup founder it's not like my hours vary so far from 9-5 on average, but there are just too many inconsistencies pop up for me, and it's basically been what I've been doing since college.

I'm 33 now, and I'm aiming to achieve a more normal schedule by 35. Whether I can partake in a regular D&D campaign is a good litmus test.

Thread Thread

stephback profile image
Stephanie Back

Ben, you should check out The Adventure Zone podcast. It's a campaign consisting of 3 brothers and their dad. It is a great campaign and their dynamic is fantastic! it's not technically partaking in a campaign directly but it helps fill the D&D void in the meantime.
Also, if you are into a horror-based D&D campaign, Dark Dice is specifically made as a podcast campaign and it's amazing. Their current campaign has Jeff Goldblum playing too. :)

Thread Thread

fizzybuzzybeezy profile image
fizzybuzzybeezy

I second The Adventure Zone! I just started listening to it myself, Stephanie! Also, thanks for note about Dark Dice. Just saw Jeff Goldblum in the third Thor movie. I totally forgot he's in there. He's such a treasure!

Collapse

Andy Rohde (he/him)

I got hooked on D&D not long before the pandemic. It's been nice to have my party members all vaccinated so we feel comfortable playing in person again. Unfortunately the campaign died with the 18 month hiatus. In our new campaign I'm the party's tank of a paladin

Collapse

trillionwon profile image
yttrm1

I’m preferential to Pathfinder, but would be happy to join a #CodeNewbies D&D Roll20.net game if people are interested

Thread Thread

Andy Rohde (he/him)

If we could manage to put something together, I would definitely make time for it. Finding someone to DM might be the hardest part of it

Thread Thread

stephback profile image
Stephanie Back

@tri11ionwon mad props for being a Pathfinder player! 🙌 To be honest, Pathfinder intimidates me as a newer D&D player(I started with 5e). However, it would be awesome to try it out. 😊 Also I love the idea of a #CodeNewbies D&D campaign! It could be a one-off, on-going, etc. session.
I recently started building a simple dungeon crawler "Choose Your Own Adventure" game in Java to fill my D&D void. I need to push it to GitHub but want to polish a bit more first.

Collapse

stephback profile image
Stephanie Back • Edited

Andy, that is awesome! high five from one paladin to the next
My current campaign is also on a hiatus due to the pandemic. However, I am excited to pick it up again soon. 😁

Collapse

matt_eves_ profile image
Matt Eves

Evenin' (?Mornin') all! Joining from the UK today - this will be my second Code Land, though I'd still very much class myself as a newbie :) chipping away at learning python via online tools/resources/networks. Came back for more this year as the experience last year was so positive - it blew my mind (in a good way) and really motivated me to keep going👨🏼‍💻😳🤯🤪🤩👍🏼🙌🏻.. t-minus 25 minutes 😱🔥🚀

Collapse

Andy Rohde (he/him)

While learning Python are you building your own projects? I knw that worked best for me. I had a bunch of false starts with courses but now I'm rewriting the backend of my company's customer portal and I'm learning more than I ever had.

Collapse

matt_eves_ profile image
Matt Eves

Hi Andy - I'm really glad you said that about the false starts, as I have had a fair number of those myself. Took me a while to realise that
1) I don't need to remember everything, just enough to formulate a good google search, and
2) I needed to step outside the "comfort" of the web based tutorials.
I've only just completed a stand alone project, and drew on people in the industry to help get me unstuck a few times where I couldn't see the wood for the trees. Definitely learnt a lot more doing that though than only plugging through the tutorials. Need a new project now, but might try to run the two approaches (project and tutorials) in parallel (?)

Thread Thread

Andy Rohde (he/him)

That's a good method to get things to stick. I'm kind of doing the same thing. I'm working on solidifying front-end skills by building a website/blog in my free time. I'm planning on building an api that will return my resume so I can send that to recruiters too.

Thread Thread

matt_eves_ profile image
Matt Eves

I'd like to learn front end too, I started with html / CSS but really wanted to learn data science skills so parked it and switched to python which I've stuck with since. I've been thinking more recently though it might be useful at some point to have a site as a means to collate/promote (wouldn't go so far as to say "showcase" 😅 ) "stuff" I've learnt/made/coded etc.

Collapse

ubaidp1049 profile image
Comment marked as low quality/non-constructive by the community. View Code of Conduct
Ubaid Ahmad

Best of Luck.. If you need any assistance. I am willing to help. +923133401049 whatsapp. Thanks

Collapse

renkylo profile image
Rishi Mandal • Edited

Hi👋.
Due to the IST timeline I will be attending the whole night and I am pumped.

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Ahoy!

Collapse

rnandon profile image
Ryan Nance-Donaldson

Hi all! I'm pretty pumped for this event- this will be my first conference post-bootcamp! I'm hoping to find some neat things to study and continue to grow while looking for work.

Collapse

Richard Dewey Hammers

Which bootcamp did you go to?

Collapse

rnandon profile image
Ryan Nance-Donaldson

I went to devCodeCamp out of Wisconsin. I'm in the upper midwest, so their connections to businesses in my area made a lot of sense. I loved the course as well, it was thorough and heavily project based!

Thread Thread

Richard Dewey Hammers

Awesome! I'm about to finish my course with Flatiron

Collapse

austinxduong profile image
austinxduong • Edited

Hey party people! Im joining virtually from Portland, OR. This is my very first CodeLand experience. Super fun so far! coding&tea

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Hey there! I'm in Portland, too (in the St. Johns area). Happy to have you here!

Some comments may only be visible to logged-in visitors. Sign in to view all comments.