CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for #CNC2021 "Write More" Pre-Mission Submission Thread
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeNewbie Team

Posted on • Updated on

#CNC2021 "Write More" Pre-Mission Submission Thread

After you've completed the reading in your pre-work email and followed all the steps, share your favorite posts and what you learned in the comments below. Feel free to introduce yourself to other participants you see here — and don't forget to follow one another!

Congrats on challenging yourself to Write More! If you have any questions about the challenge overall, head to the Write More Help Thread. For any technical questions throughout the challenge (or in general) write a #help post and share with the community!

Top comments (17)

Collapse

codyhopper profile image
Cody Hopper

hello! here's a recent "explainer" post on Glassmorphism in User Interfaces by Michal Malewicz. I really liked the discussion around the origin of the trend and the impact it has on accessibility.

Collapse

lyqht profile image
Estee Tey

Really like the use of visuals in the Glassmorphism post, it really helps to keep one engaged! ✨

Collapse

rachelombok profile image
Rachel Ombok

just started the challenge :) my favorite tutorial post is this post on deploying full-stack apps. i've used it numerous times for different projects of mine, and it is a very verbose and in-depth tutorial without being too high level.

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Thanks for sharing, Rachel!

Collapse

xav83 profile image
Xavier Jouvenot

Hello everyone 😃 !

When going through the article for this pre-mission, I asked to myself, why not blog about this challenge, so that I could easily go back on everything I will be learning from it, and I will also start writing again. Moreover, it will give me the opportunity to introduce myself to the CodeNewbie community, which is something that I really wanted to do!
So this is exactly what I did in this post 😉
By the way, if you have any advice about how I could have made my post better, or if you only want to say "Hi", feel free to post a comment on it ! 🙂

To come back to the purpose of the pre-mission, my favorite post when reading articles for this pre-mission was "💻 Hackathons – All you need to know right now! 💻".
This is an "explainer" post, and I found it really exhaustif and easy to read ! Each point is concise, the author takes the time to talk to the reader, which I really enjoy. I also feel like the author try to address all the people who could be interested, and I appreciate that a lot 😃

For the articles I picked and the points I liked and the one I would have done differently, they all can be found on the article I did about this first step in the Write More Challenge 😉

Thank you all for reading this relatively long comment,
Have a splendid day 🙂

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Great thinking!

Collapse

julieg18 profile image
Julie

While I don't think my three chosen posts matched the three categories exactly, they are all articles I've enjoyed in the past and helped me with my coding.
Tutorial: It's a (focus)trap!
Explainer: Getting Started with ARIA
Project: How we grew our SEO to bring our site 70K+ visitors a month

I never thought about the different ways you could explain something! It's very cool how two completely different writers can explain a subject in two different ways, and you can learn from both! I love how the articles are all well organized, helping me break down a large subject into small chunks. I also love when articles gives links to more resources if you were interested in learning more!

Collapse

gracie profile image
Gracie Gregory (she/her)

Thanks for sharing!

Collapse

abbie profile image
Abhipriya Sharma

Hey everybody ! Just got started with the challenge.

As for the article (tutorial) I really liked reading would be :
becominghuman.ai/detecting-pneumon...

It gives a detailed insight into the author's work on this project in the field of Deep Learning and using it to detect Pneumonia.

Collapse

harrekki profile image
David LaRocco

Hey y'all!

I really just jumped into the challenge, as I've been trying to start a blog and can't decide what topic to focus on, and also want to build my social media presence (a little gun-shy there :-/). So here goes:

• Tutorial: Make your own VSCode theme and Publish!

Explicit, step-by-step instruction with plenty of screenshots along the way make this really approachable. The GUI tool is still in development, so it might be a little buggy, tho...

• Explainer: Do you really understand interfaces?

The author's irreverent humor hooked me here, especially since I've been trying to figure out interfaces in Java for months! Well organized, and laser-focused: He avoids going off on tangents and explains exactly what he intends to.

• Project: How I Built and Deployed My First Web Application with Django in 5 Weeks.

I really liked how he broke down the project from conception to completion, and linked the resources he consulted and showed all the stages. There's not a lot of code examples, but it's a high-level overview and really shows the thought process well.

It was great to explore some examples of different approaches, and made me think about the projects I'd like to start!

Collapse

terrifricker profile image
Terri Fricker

I didn't have a favorite post, but the things that I noticed are:

Things I liked

• Very visual examples, including interactive visuals that show movement
  • Touching different learning styles - graphs and intuitive visuals
  • The tutorial had a reference list of terms at the end, so the entire post wouldn't need to be read again. The main information I would look up later was summarized there.
  • One of the posts had a question for a title and it precisely answered that question.

Things I didn't like

• One post had mixed experience level material that would be frustrating for beginners, but annoying for more experienced people. I would like to focus on just one group at a time.
  • Another post only described the meaning of a word in the context of programming without giving a general definition. I would like to have multiple 'connections' for helping readers remember what they learned. One way is to connect the regular meaning of a word to how it is used in programming.
  • Long posts that focus on too many things

(Now I should think of different types of 'connections' that would help readers of different experiences and learning styles.)

Collapse

mtrivera profile image
Miguel T Rivera • Edited

Blog Posts

Liked

• Step by step instructions
  • Screenshots
  • Reasoning
  • Library recommendations
  • Thorough information

Disliked

• No live demo
  • Missing explanations
  • Too technical
Collapse

martinezk profile image
Kristina Martinez

Hi! I like posts like this one on choosing a type of test framework for Ruby on Rails. It's short, helps me decide on something specific, and not typically something you see in the library documentation.

Collapse

gaurang847 profile image
Gaurang • Edited

I love this post by a former backend developer at Digg.

Here, Alexandra explains in much detail an issue they were facing in a Node.js project at Digg. She explains the problem, the research that she did, gives metrics to support her findings, and mentions the solution that they reached at the end.

There is another one from Google Designs that is my favorite.

Here, Antin talks about the work she/he did on the Google Photos app. It describes in greater detail the 4 challenges they faced and how they solved each one. It gives ample code examples and diagrams to help understand the challenge as well as the solution.
Collapse

khloeabrown profile image
Khloe Brown

Hello, Hello 👋 I’m Khloe.

I started this challenge to help myself learn to write better for blogging and social media. I love the engagement this challenge gives me to keep coming back and explore different sources and media I wouldn’t do before. So far this project has me reading more technical works with purpose. Not only the purpose of understanding the subject but also how the author conveys that subject in their own style.

I found three articles for this “PRE-MISSION” project that I would love to share.

• For the “tutorial” article I found the “How to Write More Effectively and Develop Your Unique Style” (article link) article written by Colby Fayock (portfolio link).
  • For the “explainer” article I found the “How to Become a Technical Writer” (article link) article written by Edidiong Asikpo (profile link).
  • For the “project” article I found the “How I Built My Blog” (article link) article written by Josh Comeau (portfolio link).
Collapse

scampiuk profile image
Chris Williams is typing...

Afternoon!

First a 'how-to' to use the new Raspberry Pi camera module - Shaking down the Raspberry Pi High Quality Camera by Jeremy Morgan - an article that's a good mix of technical, step-by-step, and images to make it easy to scan through, but also to stop and read to get all the details. I'm not sure what would have made this better, maybe some links to continue the project on using Tensor Flow or some other ML/AI project?

Second, finding a way to explain Conventional Commits is hard for new devs, or devs moving to somewhere that uses that standard, so the Conventional Commits, the Future of Git by Cole Walker is a great starter. Links to busy public repo's that use this would really cement how this practice turns out in commits, but also changelogs. 🎉🎉🎉

If this little warm-up has taught me anything, it's that i'm really, really bad at keeping reading lists!

Collapse

oerts profile image
Oz Ertas

Hey there! Just started the challenge today. I found this article about building a portfolio very informative and inspirational. I want one of my first articles to also be about either building a portfolio or one of the projects that I'm working on.