CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for What's one bit of professional advice you'd give yourself from one year ago?
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeLand 2022

Posted on

What's one bit of professional advice you'd give yourself from one year ago?

Hey CodeLand!

Throughout your experience at this year's event, we hope you get a chance to explore CodeNewbie Community on your own a bit and engage in some discussions. You can even start one of your own using this template (or by starting a new post and adding the #discuss tag).

This thread is part of an ongoing series of discussions before and during CodeLand 2022. Each post in the CodeLand 2022 Discussions series will be part of a special prize raffle after the event concludes. In other words you'll be automatically entered into a prize raffle just for commenting on this post before 11:59 PM PT on Friday, June 17, 2022.

What's one bit of professional advice you'd give yourself from one year ago?

Top comments (30)

Collapse

sstevens22 profile image
Sheldon Stevens

Find what interests you and stick to it. My bootcamp was focused on full stack development and I had the HARDEST time shaking the mindset of " I have to know 30 languages really well, study them, practice them, understand them and implement them simultaneously.. HOW does anyone do that?!" Well short answer is they don't, not one person can know everything about any language. From the bottom to the top everyone has to look things up, remind themselves of certain things, ask questions and fail on a consistent basis. That's the only way in my opinion to truly be a successful developer :) I am now solely focused on front end development with minimal knowledge of backend and I couldn't be happier. Instead of being good at 30 things strive to be GREAT at maybe 4 or 5.

Collapse

solakunmio profile image
Solakunmi Oyedele

Don't try to do everything all at once.

Collapse

yuridevat profile image
𝕁𝕦𝕝𝕚𝕒 👩🏻‍💻

This!

Collapse

scottzyang profile image
Scott Yang

Celebrate ALL achievements, and I mean ALL. No matter how "big" or "small" they seem. Coding is difficult, and being kind to yourself can be the difference between giving up or persisting and succeeding.

Spent 3 hours trying to understand for loops, and still don't fully understand? CELEBRATE

Learned how to declare variables? CELEBRATE

Spent half a day debugging an issue just to find out you forgot a simple operator? CELEBRATE

Collapse

timdehof profile image
timDeHof

Practice even what seems impossible.

Collapse

dyarawilliams profile image
D'yara Williams

Most importantly stay consistent and remain focused on my goals.

Collapse

anyanka profile image
Anja

Mockups are NOT useless

Collapse

jamiechannell profile image
Jamie

Not at ALL! <3

Collapse

hussain_codes profile image
Hussain Codes

Network, network, network!
And don't underestimate the power of small consistent habits!

Collapse

vcerpasalas profile image
Valeria Cerpa Salas

Organize yourself with a schedule, focus on one activity at a time and take time to rest, distract yourself and get a good night's sleep.

Collapse

talib1996 profile image
M.Fahad Imtiaz

Try to focus on one thing at a time.

Collapse

coder_utkarsh profile image
Utkarsh Maurya

Stop wasting your time watching hours and hours of video lectures to understand a topic that you can just learn by reading docs in an hour.

Collapse

talib1996 profile image
M.Fahad Imtiaz

To have started learning Web Development at freecodecamp

Collapse

dulyaaa profile image
Dulya Perera • Edited

Try to get different error instead of getting same error.

Collapse

juanfrank77 profile image
Juan F Gonzalez

Don't stay stuck in one path even if others say it's what you "should do". Trust yourself and change lanes if you feel the need.

Collapse

theoriginalbpc profile image
Sarah Dye

Don't forget self care. Take care of yourself and remember it is ok to take a break if you need it.

Collapse

jamiechannell profile image
Jamie

To treat everyone I work with as a collaborator, not a competitor.