CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for How did you realize you wanted to learn to code?
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeLand 2022

Posted on

How did you realize you wanted to learn to code?

Hey CodeLand!

Throughout your experience at this year's event, we hope you get a chance to explore CodeNewbie Community on your own a bit and engage in some discussions. You can even start one of your own using this template (or by starting a new post and adding the #discuss tag).

This thread is part of an ongoing series of discussions before and during CodeLand 2022. Each post in the CodeLand 2022 Discussions series will be part of a special prize raffle after the event concludes. In other words you'll be automatically entered into a prize raffle just for commenting on this post before 11:59 PM PT on Friday, June 17, 2022.

In the thread below, tell us how you realized you wanted to learn to code!

Top comments (50)

Collapse

asbourlotos profile image
Alexander Bourlotos

This question hurts a little because I always thought that programming required calculus-level math. I was told by people who knew less that I wasn't learning what was required and it really put me off (this was back in HS/2004-6). Learning that it's not true re-ignited my interest.

I always liked messing with web code, but I didn't see it as programming. I wish I had a better mentor in my early days but now that I know more, I can't wait to get started!

I also want to learn how to code so that I can de-mystify it for others and be a mentor for others in the future as well.

Collapse

mariasilva_dev profile image
Maria Silva

Hi Alexander!

I'm glad you were able to re-ignite your interest in programming. I had been thinking about learning to code for about two years but I also had the misconception that you needed to be proficient in higher level math. Math was never my favorite subject. It wasn't until I started looking into bootcamps and reading reviews from people that transitioned from careers like retail to software developers that I was like "hey, maybe I can do it too." And now I'm doing it!

It's awesome that you want to give back and de-mystify it for others, can't wait to see what you do!

Collapse

itsnatalye profile image
itsNatalye

My child inspired me to jump into it! She has been learning front end development and I was literally watching and learning everyday! For a couple of years I have learned some coding and taught elementary and middle school students from the Hello World Little Bits Coding kits to Girls Who Code groups.

Collapse

ben profile image
Ben Halpern

I had a fascination in computers long before I even knew coding was a thing people could do.

I'm 33 years old, and I really think coding wasn't on the radar of anyone in my life as something to even bother telling me was a thing. But every time I stumbled across some knowledge of how computers did what they did and what could be done, I really loved it!

Collapse

theoriginalbpc profile image
Sarah Dye

In August 2015, I saw a job posting for Skillcrush. I got curious so I checked out their website and signed up for their newsletter. At the time, the newsletter sent daily e-mails when you first signed up with activities and information about tech.

Day 3 was when I wrote my first line of code. It wasn't very fancy, but that line of code is where I realized tech is the right fit for me. Shortly after that I signed up for their free coding bootcamp and did research. That's what helped me decide to learn how to code and shortly after that I enrolled in Skillcrush's web designer blueprint cohort.

Collapse

yuridevat profile image
π•π•¦π•π•šπ•’ πŸ‘©πŸ»β€πŸ’»

When I was studying Japanese I had to do an internship, which I did at the Japanese department of University of Vienna by hosting the website. Together with a colleague we had to create a WordPress site for the "150 years Japanese and Austrian relation" celebration where a professor needed a platform for her lecture. The designing, the meetings, the talks about how we could best achieve her goals - it was so fascinating that I was sure that after graduating I want to learn how to code.

Collapse

kithminiii profile image
Kithmini

Since my childhood I used to do so many things using my brothers computer. I learnt lot from him.I really loved to see his coding stuffs. After completing my Advanced level exams, I wanted to become a software engineer.So this is how that I realized Iwanted to learn to code.πŸ™ƒπŸ™Šβ€‹

Collapse

mreves profile image
Matt Eves

I always thought coding was impossible and something I couldn't possibly do. Then, whilst having a chat with someone in the office about someone I knew who had switched careers but how I didn't think I could learn to code, they said "well I reckon you could do that". So I read up on it and had a a go at starting to learn, and really enjoyed it. Funny in hindsight how much that little voice can be a barrier to trying something new. I'm a "late mid-30's" (πŸ˜…) learner so I do sometimes feel like an outlier, and learning with a young family has been slow and steady, but I learnt early on not to compare my rate of progress to others which was a good lesson to learn.

Collapse

connyx profile image
connyx

Trust me, you are not the only one "late mid-30's" who found out that coding is something they wanna do. And I'm not only talking about myself. Haha ;-)

Collapse

coder_utkarsh profile image
Utkarsh Maurya

I was always fascinated by technology since I was a child. I loved to learn about how computers and smartphones worked. Researching about these topics introduced me to the concept of coding. That's when I knew, this is what I want to do in my life.

Collapse

adiatiayu profile image
Ayu Adiati

I wanted to have a website to write a personal blog and showcase my photography hobby photos.

So I browsed everything about WordPress. Then I stumbled on freeCodeCamp, tried it out, saw "Hello World" rendered with HTML for the first time, and never look back ☺.

Collapse

mariessad profile image
mariessad

I used to make websites as a teen, but because there weren't any coding/computer classes at my school, I ended up pursuing art. Now as an adult who graduated from art school, I still want to make websites, and there's so much information online that I can self-teach! Learning how the internet works and how to make dynamic websites is so interesting and complex

Collapse

hatricia profile image
Hattie

My sister, about 6 years ago, was getting a business degree from a local college, and was required to take a programmming (specifically python) class for it. She was really struggling and couldn't understand any of it and was worried she'd fail. So she asked me to take a look at it and I took over learning from the book and then teaching her how it all worked so she could do assignments and tests. And while she hated every second of it, I was hooked.

Collapse

argemflores profile image
Argem Flores • Edited

I'm always curious on how things work, and it started when I was a kid. That continued to my high school years where I was introduced to computers. We programmed small scripts and games, which made me so happy that I pursued Computer Science in college. 😊

Collapse

frankiefab100 profile image
Franklin Ohaegbulam

While growing up, I was enthusiastic about STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics). During my High school days, I got interested in website design, did little of PHP using wapka.mobi and FTP. Unfortunately, I couldn't keep up and quitted. 7 years later, after trying out so many other things including graphic design, I wasn't feeling fulfilled. I needed to make something which I or people can use like an application or website. That was how I got into web development during Covid-19 period. And I realized this is what I should be doing and I'm happy taking this career path.

Collapse

jolenekearse profile image
Jolene Kearse

I had been teaching English in China and let my visa expire, so I actually got deported! I went from a city of 20 million with awesome public transportation, to being physically isolated in a Canadian town. I looked into teaching online, but the salary wasn't anywhere I was used to.
I had started a business in China and used web-site builder and loved that, so I looked into learning the actual code online. I just got so stuck into it; puzzling out the specifics and still being able to use my creativity!

Collapse

zakuja profile image
Zakita

Hello everybody! How are you? I think you will be great at getting a visa here and you will just go on a good trip, a study trip and so on easiest residence countries immigrantinvest.com/blog/easy-resi... . I think there are really a lot of comedians. Here you will be given an algorithm for obtaining a visa, explain the details and all the risks.

Collapse

sstevens22 profile image
Sheldon Stevens

I grew up being surrounded by technology and I have always been curious more about how the apps, websites, games and such worked more so then my interest in using the actual technologies. I always thought programmers were super smart, creative, almost godlike people and that if you knew how to code you must be a super genius or have years of tech experience and I was delighted to learn that was not necessarily correct haha. Once I started breaking down code and realizing what this string says vs what I'm seeing on this website and how they connect ect. I was hooked and when I ran my first block of code and it was successful I fell in love and decided it was something I couldn't imagine living without.