CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for What’s the last thing you learned that blew your mind?
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeLand 2022

Posted on

What’s the last thing you learned that blew your mind?

Hey CodeLand!

Throughout your experience at this year's event, we hope you get a chance to explore CodeNewbie Community on your own a bit and engage in some discussions. You can even start one of your own using this template (or by starting a new post and adding the #discuss tag).

This thread is part of an ongoing series of discussions before and during CodeLand 2022. Each post in the CodeLand 2022 Discussions series will be part of a special prize raffle after the event concludes. In other words you'll be automatically entered into a prize raffle just for commenting on this post before 11:59 PM PT on Friday, June 17, 2022.

In the thread below, tell us about the last thing you learned that blew your mind!

Top comments (24)

Collapse

leviarista profile image
LevΓ­ Arista

Javascript was written in ten days!! Learned yesterday in the scavenger hunt

Collapse

ben profile image
Ben Halpern

Yeah, that's incredible.

Sometimes in programming you can accomplish a year of productivity in a couple days if it's a good few days β€” or you can get nothing out of a year of hard work (besides learning, of course).

Collapse

leviarista profile image
LevΓ­ Arista

Totally true!

Collapse

thomasbnt profile image
Thomas Bnt

Oh woah I didn't know that!

Collapse

terabytetiger profile image
Tyler V. (he/him)

🀯

Collapse

ben profile image
Ben Halpern

Learned FastText, specifically with this Ruby library, but definitely available in many other language wrappers.

It's a "classification" library β€” basically feed it text which you can label, and then it is able to label new text. You don't need to understand all the ins and outs of machine learning to make it work.

Really fascinating to see how well it works if used correctly!

Collapse

theoriginalbpc profile image
Sarah Dye

CSS art. It always blows my mind how other devs are able to take CSS and create awesome things on CodePen. I especially like what I've seen in CSS art challenges since I've seen people use CSS to create food, characters, and other fun shapes.

Collapse

adiatiayu profile image
Ayu Adiati

When I tried out WAVE for the first time last year!
I tried it by closing my eyes and tabbing around. It's both fascinating and frustrating at the same time.
The reason why I always want to dive more into accessibility.

Collapse

dotaadarsh profile image
Aadarsh Kannan

While I was reading about the memory addresses, I have come across one practical application. Around 2012, Gangnam Style exceeded YouTube's view limit which is a 32-bit Integer value. So they upgraded it to 64-bit integer value and this actually built a view on how the different memory been applied in the real world.

Collapse

vcerpasalas profile image
Valeria Cerpa Salas

From a testimonial I saw on Linkedin I learned that it really is never too late and there is no problem if you set your goals high. The paths can be diverse and you can get to the place you really want with effort.

Collapse

vcerpasalas profile image
Valeria Cerpa Salas

From a testimonial I saw on Linkedin, I learned that it really is never too late to follows your dreams and there is no problem if you set your goals high. The paths can be diverse and you can get to the place you really want with effort.

Collapse

sstevens22 profile image
Sheldon Stevens

That you can be a successful independent web designer without knowing any programming languages these days! It is much less fun and interesting in my opinion but possible and quite popular nonetheless. Some beautiful website have been created using only templates and page builders on content management systems. I found that out recently while watching videos titled " how to create a fully functional website for _____ in X amount of time" and realizing they weren't coding at all but implementing already written code. I'm new to transferring code I have created locally to a live server hosted on the web. I'm getting the hang of it but anyways, interesting stuff.

Collapse

juanfrank77 profile image
Juan F Gonzalez

The last thing that I learned that made my mind 🀯 was finding out why Git was created in the first place. Made by Linus Torvalds as a replacement for the proprietary software BitKeeper. I would have never guessed that.

Collapse

dulyaaa profile image
Dulya Perera

Machine Learning and Microservices.πŸ˜‡

Collapse

talib1996 profile image
M.Fahad Imtiaz

web accessibility for margins

Collapse

solakunmio profile image
Solakunmi Oyedele

Computer Vision!

Collapse

yuridevat profile image
π•π•¦π•π•šπ•’ πŸ‘©πŸ»β€πŸ’»

ACCESSIBILITY

Collapse

dyarawilliams profile image
D'yara Williams

Debugging originated from a moth being in a relay. Humor at its finest. Love it πŸ˜†πŸ’–

Collapse

kitamreik profile image
Kit Fenrir Amreik

Python!