CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for When did you know it was time to change careers?
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeLand 2022

Posted on

When did you know it was time to change careers?

Hey CodeLand!

Throughout your experience at this year's event, we hope you get a chance to explore CodeNewbie Community on your own a bit and engage in some discussions. You can even start one of your own using this template (or by starting a new post and adding the #discuss tag).

This thread is part of an ongoing series of discussions before and during CodeLand 2022. Each post in the CodeLand 2022 Discussions series will be part of a special prize raffle after the event concludes. In other words you'll be automatically entered into a prize raffle just for commenting on this post before 11:59 PM PT on Friday, June 17, 2022.

In the thread below, tell us when you knew it was time to change careers?

Oldest comments (17)

Collapse

anyanka profile image
Anja • Edited

On my 30th birthday when I was celebrating but felt dead inside because I hated my former job so much :D

Collapse

aigarspl profile image
Aigars PluΔ£is

For me - it wasn't really career change, I am just close connected to IT most of my life, so yeah.

Collapse

timdehof profile image
timDeHof

It was late last year when I started to notice I wasn't happy at the job I was doing and decided to have a career change.

Collapse

jamiechannell profile image
Jamie

I'm not looking to change careers, just upskill so I can continue to grow!

Collapse

dulyaaa profile image
Dulya Perera

Never ever change. This is the best career life even though I fell into the hell of bugsπŸ›.

Collapse

yuridevat profile image
π•π•¦π•π•šπ•’ πŸ‘©πŸ»β€πŸ’»

There was no career to change from, I was studying while working part time. For me it was time (at the age of 32) to finally find something I really enjoy doing everyday. I am glad I found my way into tech.

Collapse

theoriginalbpc profile image
Sarah Dye

Reading my teaching philosophy I wrote in college. When I was revamping my resume in 2013, I found my philosophy and read it over. As I read it, I realized I felt completely different about my philosophy. That got me thinking about where I was with my career and that's when I realized teaching wasn't the right fit for me.

Collapse

rebeccaokine profile image
BexπŸ‘©πŸΏβ€πŸ’»πŸ’œ

I do not have to change careers. Found myself here and I am not going anywhere.

Collapse

scottzyang profile image
Scott Yang

I went to school for civil engineering, and loved the iterative technical problem solving aspect of it during school.

Once I got into the workforce, it became all about implementing standards/manuals that were developed 10-20 years ago. It wasn't innovative, and I felt stuck and stagnant. I was no longer tackling complex iterative & innovative problems, and rather just reading and employing standard over and over and over again.

I craved the dopamine bursts from problem solving! Started self-teaching on the side, and after a few months decided it was time to leap!

Collapse

tylerwoodcook profile image
Tyler Woodcook

All I wanted to do was design/develop things. I kept looking for ways to implement those interests into my old job. Eventually I just realized I would be happier doing that type of work all the time, so I made the jump!

Collapse

hussain_codes profile image
Hussain Codes

When I realised that with tech I could design a lifestyle I want!

The level of flexibility and freedom that a career in tech provides in terms of time, location and finances can help me structure my life the way I want it.

Collapse

lanietodev profile image
Melanie Ngome

I had no idea how websites were created prior to 2018. I was opportuned to learn the basics of HTML, CSS and JavaScript and I realized I loved coding, then I knew I'd found something worth doing.

Collapse

talib1996 profile image
M.Fahad Imtiaz • Edited

Inspired by the linux philosophy, I got a passion to bring a change in the tech world and help my community by making tech accessible for everyone.

Collapse

christopheraaron_ profile image
Christopher Aaron

When I realized I wasn't appreciated enough at my last job. I hit the ceiling as a Director, yet was still under paid, over worked, and had no goals or motivations with the company. During the pandemic, my job sector was pretty much non-existent. I spent a lot of time on the computer during the pandemic, and just thought to myself "Hey, lets make a career out of this while im here."

Collapse

kasopej profile image
Kasope Johnson

Always wanted to but was uncertain about leaving mechanical engineering, especially because I wasn't sure if I would be fantastic at tech. After about 2 years decided to pray about it and once I had inner peace I did it! So happy I made the switch!