CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Cover image for How did you realize you wanted to learn to code?
CodeNewbie Staff for CodeLand 2022

Posted on

How did you realize you wanted to learn to code?

Hey CodeLand!

Throughout your experience at this year's event, we hope you get a chance to explore CodeNewbie Community on your own a bit and engage in some discussions. You can even start one of your own using this template (or by starting a new post and adding the #discuss tag).

This thread is part of an ongoing series of discussions before and during CodeLand 2022. Each post in the CodeLand 2022 Discussions series will be part of a special prize raffle after the event concludes. In other words you'll be automatically entered into a prize raffle just for commenting on this post before 11:59 PM PT on Friday, June 17, 2022.

In the thread below, tell us how you realized you wanted to learn to code!

Latest comments (47)

Collapse

mustafaahmed22 profile image
Mustafa ahmed

i think learning code changed my mindsed,
i feel more comfortable more confident during coding.

Collapse

kasopej profile image
Kasope Johnson

Did a python course in uni and absolutely loved the idea of feeding something into the computer and getting a correct response. Was absolutely enthralling 😁

Collapse

christopheraaron_ profile image
Christopher Aaron

It was two friends, one of them being a web developer, who were actually surprised and confused that I wasn't a developer. Surprisingly, they always thought its what I did as a career and stated that I just "looked like I do."

I've always had a fascination with computers and how it worked, always chose a job where I can be creative, and aspired to work from home. It wasn't until the Pandemic that I came across #100Devs. Leon, his community, and the program being free made me come to decision of learning. I had nothing to lose. It was the best decision of my life!

Collapse

vcerpasalas profile image
Valeria Cerpa Salas

I wanted my designs to become reality, I spent a lot of time in hackathons making power points of web and app projects that I wanted to see them materialize. Likewise, I watched the projects that my brother was doing during his studies in Computer Science. All this made me start researching about technology, programming and empowerment opportunities for women in this area.

Collapse

teniola profile image
Teniola Olowookere

I had an unplanned gap year due to strike actions but I couldn't stay idle.

I tried out so many things but I gave it up too quickly, until I came across Angela Yu's course on Frontend web development. I won't have it any other way. Code makes me so happy.

Collapse

hussain_codes profile image
Hussain Codes

Ever since I learnt basic HTML and CSS in high school I was hooked!

Collapse

coder_utkarsh profile image
Utkarsh Maurya

I was always fascinated by technology since I was a child. I loved to learn about how computers and smartphones worked. Researching about these topics introduced me to the concept of coding. That's when I knew, this is what I want to do in my life.

Collapse

timdehof profile image
timDeHof

while I was working as a mechanical engineer, I always went to coding as a side project when i was bored.

Collapse

cometsurfer profile image
cometsurfer

I realized my mind was more relaxed.
The feeling of accomplishment spurred me forward.
I'm looking forward to learning application development starting Fall '22.

Collapse

nakedgrammer profile image
Sea Dub

I was interested for many years but thought it would be dry. Once I discovered it was mainly creativity and problem solving; I was hooked!

Collapse

argemflores profile image
Argem Flores • Edited

I'm always curious on how things work, and it started when I was a kid. That continued to my high school years where I was introduced to computers. We programmed small scripts and games, which made me so happy that I pursued Computer Science in college. 😊

Collapse

talib1996 profile image
M.Fahad Imtiaz

I read a post in which it's said that "Software is like a brain which controls the hardware" and it's inspired me to learn code.

Collapse

mikaylad profile image
Mikayla L

I've always been curious about coding and finally after graduating with a BSc with a focus on Geographic Information Systems, I want to step more into the nitty gritty of data!

Collapse

stweffy_88 profile image
Stephanie Poon

I am a participant in the Victorian Government Digital Jobs Program, which is encouraging mid-career professionals to receive sponsored training in digital skills. These digital skills are then applied in a paid internship with a business that requires those skills.

I chose the Front-End Web Development course at General Assembly, because I have been on a career change journey for the past two years. I have a qualification in training and assessment and I aspire to become an Instructional Designer. Hence, learning to code made sense to me as a skill that would be useful for creating learning materials in my new path.

Collapse

tsbrun profile image
Anya Brun

After I took an intro HTML/CSS class in high school that I really enjoyed and realized I could do it for a living :)