CodeNewbie Community 🌱

Nic
Nic

Posted on

Learning a bit about... Rust

Introduction

I've been spending my Saturdays doing tutorials on languages I'm curious about. This week I intended to do MATLAB. But it turns out that to get the software you need a university email address. And I don't even know if it runs on Linux because all the screenshots I saw were from Windows.

I decided it wasn't worth the effort, and picked Rust instead, as I have heard the name a lot recently.

What I knew about the language before I started

• Absolutely nothing

What I did

I tried a few tutorials and reading some bits about the language and ended up doing Rust Programming Language Tutorial – How to Build a To-Do List App

What I thought about the language

When I heard it was a system programming language my first thought was that I'd never understand it and trying it was a terrible idea. I don't know where I've got it from, but I have the idea that those languages are really hard and impossible to understand. Maybe that's just because I haven't done one.

There was quite a bit of this I didn't understand. The article has links to the official website that explains things and I still didn't understand the explanation.

But it's at least similar enough to other languages that I had an idea. And the article had a good explanation, I just didn't understand all the specifics. But then the article does say it has a steep learning curve and I did go straight into a project.

What's next?

MongoDB. It gets mentioned a lot on the MERN stack, which is the path I've been on, so I'm curious to know what it's all about.

Top comments (2)

Collapse

ellativity profile image
Ella (she/her/elle)

A bit late to this one @nicm42 but I love so much about this post! The series is fantastic, of course, but I have a soft spot for honesty and transparency so I particularly enjoyed you sharing what went wrong with your MATLAB experiment and your openness about your apprehension approaching Rust.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write these experiences up for the community and share them in this series!

Collapse

nicm42 profile image
Nic

Thank you, I'm glad you're enjoying it.